Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

Thinking of a TP run to HNL?...my 72 hour trip!

Old Jul 13, 2016, 12:23 pm
Original Poster

Programs: GGL/CCR

Seen plenty of people toying with the idea of runs for Gold etc and well this was my 4th I have just completed. I wont bore you with loads about flights as frankly - we all know what they are like by now :

Anyway...completed my FRA flight on the Friday by spending lunch out there with a mate before back to LCY in CE - usual flight - just had a bottle of water as was meeting the mrs for dinner at the O2 - got from wheels down to all bar one in under twenty minutes - love that airport!

Saturday morning...

BA GF T3 @ 8am - security was easy and well GF was GF - pleasant enough.
AA101 to JFK on a refurb 772 - seat 4A - seat was up there with the AA 77W and food was fine - service was typically American.
Then onwards on the 321S to LAX before a quick 45 minute connection to the 321 to HNL.

So I did the whole 3 legs in one day...was it difficult? No not really - I got a cab to the Hilton Hawaiian Village and got to my room about 11:15pm.

Quick unpack of HBO bag and then off to bed.

Woke at just after 4am the next day so had a shower and then went for an early wander to watch the sunrise over Wakiki - stunning
Then time for breakfast at 5:30.
Beach walk and back through town before some photography.
I then took a dip in the pool, sea and lagoon whilst booking a tour on the Hawaiian Duck ^ https://hawaiiducktours.com/
This picked me up at 11 before a decent ish tour of the city and a quick trip through the harbor and out to sea - cost $49USD.
I then wandered back to the hotel as they was washing the salt water off the "duck" and got a cab to the Zoo (I love animals!) - http://www.honoluluzoo.org/default.htm - $14USD.
Then walked back via the shops to pick the Mrs up a present before taking a pit stop at the Hale Koa beach bar as I was cooking draft was about $8USD a pint.
From here I walked back to the HHV and had some ribs in Tropics - one of the beach side restaurants here.
Another cab back to the airport and was in the longue for 7pm before my flights home via LAX and MIA. Again it didn't seem tough doing all that in a day and yes different people have different tastes - my point is you can do Hawaii in a day with relative ease - and yes I have done a B2B in Kona before

Oh and as for sleep.... I had an nap from LAX to HNL, slept from HNL to LAX and then again most of the MIA-LHR flight. Total sleep was about 17 hours over the whole trip.

And the whole way I carried my Phantom 4 with me but these shots speak for themselves I think - what a beautiful beach
Old Jul 13, 2016, 12:25 pm
Original Poster

All pics - http://imgur.com/a/6EhUO

Old Jul 13, 2016, 1:22 pm

Programs: BA GfL/GGL/CCR, HH Diamond, IHG Diamond Ambassador
Great photos! I think there's something awesome in going to the other side of the planet to just have a swim in the ocean

What was your itinerary?
Old Jul 13, 2016, 1:25 pm
Original Poster

FRA-LHR-JFK-LAX-HNL-LAX-MIA-LHR-FRA

Left LHR Saturday morning and got back Tuesday morning to a cancelled FRA service (handy! )
Old Jul 13, 2016, 1:36 pm

Originally Posted by teledude
FRA-LHR-JFK-LAX-HNL-LAX-MIA-LHR-FRA

Left LHR Saturday morning and got back Tuesday morning to a cancelled FRA service (handy! )
Did you manage to book yourself into F on 77W LAX-MIA?

I want to take a similar trip when the right deal comes
Old Jul 13, 2016, 1:39 pm
Original Poster

I did, but it was decidedly average - would have been just as happy with a recliner given the timings
Old Jul 13, 2016, 1:47 pm

Originally Posted by teledude
I did, but it was decidedly average - would have been just as happy with a recliner given the timings
I like the swinging chair in First on 777s Got an OpUp on MAD-MIA once from the recliner J into old F on 772 - service was OK, IFE was worse than on BA in Y, but overall I liked it
Old Jul 13, 2016, 2:28 pm

Programs: BA Gold
Wow. I'm inspired. Love the photos. A budding Casey Neistat!
Old Jul 13, 2016, 2:32 pm

Programs: BAEC Gold/GGL, IHG Diamond AMB
Very good and impressive - I like the early start at T3 and a straight run to HNL

Beautiful photos too
Old Jul 13, 2016, 2:44 pm

Programs: BA CCR/GGL, Hilton Diamond
Great photos - I have visions of a less experienced operator mowing down a load of tourists on the beach :-)
Old Jul 13, 2016, 2:49 pm

Programs: BA Gold
LHR-LAX-HNL in one day is the easy way. But I suppose you can be given credit for the effort involved

H
Old Jul 13, 2016, 3:02 pm

Programs: Demoted to gold, Cats protection
....or managing to run into a chicken "fleeing for its life" in your own garden!
Old Jul 13, 2016, 4:27 pm

Programs: BA Silver, IHG Spire, Radisson Gold
Stunning photos. I must get back to HNL.
Old Jul 13, 2016, 10:54 pm

Programs: AA 1M, AA Platinum, HA Pualani Gold, KAL Morning Calm, SPG Gold, Hilton Gold
How much was your ticket? Sure wish I could do that same run the other direction (HNL-LHR-HNL).

Every day I walk the beach walk in front of the Hale Koa bar on my way to work (usually around 0600) and can confirm that sunrise at Waikiki Beach is spectacular!
Old Jul 14, 2016, 2:01 am

Programs: BA GOLD/OWE BA Amex Prem Plus Tesco Airmiles Qantas Bronze IHG SPG Eithad
Wow what lovely pics, and worth the effort to see what you did in that short space of time. Flights did not seem too bad, wonder though how the jet lag was after a few days back into the real life.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.