Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

Consistent Concierge Key treatment at ORD for BA GGL

Consistent Concierge Key treatment at ORD for BA GGL

Old Jan 6, 2017, 4:33 pm
  #121  
 
Join Date: Jul 2015
Location: London
Programs: BA GGL / GfL
Posts: 3,227
Just a quick observation - as somebody who only gained GGL status in September, but has had 12 U.S. CK potential touch points since without contact with any CK rep, I wandered over to the AA forum and was surprised to find that CK status at AA was actually the equivalent of Premier at BA (i.e. granted due to budget controlled / revenue spent rather then actual thresholds achieved). This leads me to the conclusion AA's definition of a BA CK is actually incorrect (i.e. They presume GGL to be top tier when they should be only targeting Premier card holders to keep the like for like status) and thus any interaction a GGL has with CK agents should be treated as a bonus no???

Pilot37
Pilot37 is online now  
Old Jan 6, 2017, 4:52 pm
  #122  
FlyerTalk Evangelist, Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: Somewhere between 0 and 13,000 metres high
Programs: AF/KL Life Plat, BA GGL+GfL, ALL Plat, Hilton Diam, Marriott Gold, blablablah, etc
Posts: 30,491
Originally Posted by Pilot37
Just a quick observation - as somebody who only gained GGL status in September, but has had 12 U.S. CK potential touch points since without contact with any CK rep, I wandered over to the AA forum and was surprised to find that CK status at AA was actually the equivalent of Premier at BA (i.e. granted due to budget controlled / revenue spent rather then actual thresholds achieved). This leads me to the conclusion AA's definition of a BA CK is actually incorrect (i.e. They presume GGL to be top tier when they should be only targeting Premier card holders to keep the like for like status) and thus any interaction a GGL has with CK agents should be treated as a bonus no???

Pilot37
not really correct imho. Ck is mostly spend/travel based and premier is not. Also most of us spend typical ck targets or sometimes much more. Typically, ck is the equivalent of ggl without published thresholds.
orbitmic is offline  
Old Jan 6, 2017, 5:53 pm
  #123  
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: Betwixt SEA and LHR
Programs: BAEC GGL/CCR, AS Gold MVP, IC RA, IHG Spire Elite, HH Diamond, Dennis The Menace Fan Club
Posts: 1,354
Originally Posted by Pilot37
I wandered over to the AA forum and was surprised to find that CK status at AA was actually the equivalent of Premier at BA
I don't think it's in any way comparable - you can achieve CK status with around $50k/year spend on AA. If you spent Ł50k/year on BA, you might make GGL, but no one at Waterside is going to bat an eyelid.
opalfruit is offline  
Old Jan 7, 2017, 9:31 am
  #124  
FlyerTalk Evangelist
 
Join Date: Mar 2013
Location: London
Posts: 17,007
Originally Posted by Pilot37
Just a quick observation - as somebody who only gained GGL status in September, but has had 12 U.S. CK potential touch points since without contact with any CK rep, I wandered over to the AA forum and was surprised to find that CK status at AA was actually the equivalent of Premier at BA (i.e. granted due to budget controlled / revenue spent rather then actual thresholds achieved). This leads me to the conclusion AA's definition of a BA CK is actually incorrect (i.e. They presume GGL to be top tier when they should be only targeting Premier card holders to keep the like for like status) and thus any interaction a GGL has with CK agents should be treated as a bonus no???

Pilot37
I think it's fair to say that CK sits somewhere between BA Prem and BA GGL. There may be quite a few BA GGLs who would qualify for CK.

I would agree it should be treated as a bonus rather than an entitlement.
Calchas is offline  
Old Jan 12, 2017, 4:08 am
  #125  
Moderator: Qatar Airways
 
Join Date: Jan 2014
Location: LHR/NCE/MIA
Programs: BAEC GfL & GGL, SQ Gold, Amex Centurion, Mucci des Chevaliers des Bons Mots et Qui Savent Moucher
Posts: 8,940
Happy to report back after my trips through DFW, MIA, JFK and GRU this week, that CK was only offered to me at LHR upon departure and arrival.

I presume it may well be due to the fact that my layovers were all quite generous (enough to borrow the most ridiculous rental car available in the US).

When I checked in at LHR I was asked to wait a few moments. I asked why, and was told someone from the CK 'Team' would come to assist me. As I had no interest in using the AA Lounge (CX was lovely), I politely declined.

On arrival at LHR this morning, a CK Team member was stationed at the top of the escalator offering buggy-rides to security. I declined, as did the other 3 CK passengers in F.

I can't really complain about not being offered something which I'm not exactly entitled to, so I won't. A tarmac ride at DFW would have been nice, but also wholly unnecessary.

M
msm2000uk is offline  
Old Jan 27, 2017, 9:20 am
  #126  
Moderator: British Airways Executive Club
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: TPA/ABZ
Programs: BA Lifetime Gold. GGL/CCR.
Posts: 13,237
I've noticed a slight change to the boarding process on 3 of my last 4 AA domestic flights. They have now started calling CK members to board first. This is then followed by the boarding order as was before.

I've been given the CK treatment several times on AA which was by name at the gate prior to the start of boarding but as a GGL/CCR card holder on BA is it ok to board when CK is called or might it result in the walk of shame? I've not tried it yet.
golfmad is offline  
Old Jan 27, 2017, 9:24 am
  #127  
Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club, easyJet and Ryanair
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Location: UK/Las Vegas
Programs: BA Gold (GGL/CCR)
Posts: 15,906
Originally Posted by golfmad
... I've been given the CK treatment several times on AA which was by name at the gate prior to the start of boarding but as a GGL/CCR card holder on BA is it ok to board when CK is called or might it result in the walk of shame? I've not tried it yet.
Go on, be brave!
Tobias-UK is offline  
Old Jan 27, 2017, 9:32 am
  #128  
Moderator: British Airways Executive Club
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: TPA/ABZ
Programs: BA Lifetime Gold. GGL/CCR.
Posts: 13,237
Originally Posted by Tobias-UK
Go on, be brave!
Ok I'll wear my dark glasses and will have a go on Sunday

If there are no CKs I'd be next to board anyway.
golfmad is offline  
Old Jan 27, 2017, 11:44 am
  #129  
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: SFO, LON
Programs: BA GGL/CCR, Bonvoy Tit, Hilton Dia etc etc
Posts: 2,354
Originally Posted by golfmad
Ok I'll wear my dark glasses and will have a go on Sunday

If there are no CKs I'd be next to board anyway.
Oh please, do try

I've my first trip back to the US next week since June, lots of AA flights, not overly disturbed about whether I will get to board ahead of F, but would be fun to know either way
MarkedMan is offline  
Old Jan 27, 2017, 11:59 am
  #130  
 
Join Date: Aug 2014
Posts: 995
I can tell you what might happen based on my experience at a certain airport recently. When the CK announcement was made we both made our way to the gate but were beaten there by another BA GGL (he is on this board). He tried to explain to the sceptical AA gate agent that BA GGL was the equivalent of AA CK. The gate agent did not seem to know anything about BA GGL and was reluctant to let him through. In the meantime, the other gate agent let us both through.
scillyisles is offline  
Old Jan 27, 2017, 12:31 pm
  #131  
Hilton Contributor Badge
 
Join Date: Feb 2014
Location: ±38,000 feet
Programs: LH HON, BA GGL, AF Plat, EK Plat
Posts: 6,426
Originally Posted by scillyisles
I can tell you what might happen based on my experience at a certain airport recently. When the CK announcement was made we both made our way to the gate but were beaten there by another BA GGL (he is on this board). He tried to explain to the sceptical AA gate agent that BA GGL was the equivalent of AA CK. The gate agent did not seem to know anything about BA GGL and was reluctant to let him through. In the meantime, the other gate agent let us both through.
Interesting. I have some short connection AA flights so will be interesting to see whether any CK treatment happens in coming months.
nufnuf77 is offline  
Old Jan 29, 2017, 12:35 pm
  #132  
Moderator: British Airways Executive Club
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: TPA/ABZ
Programs: BA Lifetime Gold. GGL/CCR.
Posts: 13,237
Originally Posted by Tobias-UK
Go on, be brave!
Originally Posted by golfmad
Ok I'll wear my dark glasses and will have a go on Sunday
Jury is still out. Didn't get there in time for the first flight in TPA. Was ready to have a go in CLT but a wide passenger in F decided to block the entrance to the priority line when CK was called so instead I waited the additional 20 seconds before they called F.
golfmad is offline  
Old Jan 30, 2017, 8:14 am
  #133  
 
Join Date: Nov 2015
Posts: 40
On my recent ORD-LAX trip I checked both times at the Flagship check-in if I could use it, and both times it was a no.

I'd deliberately chosen to test it when no-one was around, so no harm done, but won't be chancing my arm at any CK perks in future.

Still not entirely clear if it matters who you book through and the type of flight. This one I'd booked through AA (originally with my AA account to get TSA PreCheck and then called to switch freq traveler program). Does any have knowledge on this?
Sphereo is offline  
Old Jan 30, 2017, 8:38 am
  #134  
Moderator: British Airways Executive Club
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: TPA/ABZ
Programs: BA Lifetime Gold. GGL/CCR.
Posts: 13,237
Originally Posted by Sphereo

Still not entirely clear if it matters who you book through and the type of flight. This one I'd booked through AA (originally with my AA account to get TSA PreCheck and then called to switch freq traveler program). Does any have knowledge on this?
As an aside, you can book through AA and enter your BAEC account and your known traveler number (to get pre check) without needing to go through that chicanery.
golfmad is offline  
Old Jan 30, 2017, 8:39 am
  #135  
 
Join Date: Aug 2014
Programs: BAEC Gold
Posts: 97
Does this really matter though? In the grand scheme of things, you'll still get on board
Sparth3103 is offline  

Thread Tools
Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.