Whats up with BA7 today.....?

Old Jul 7, 16, 2:31 pm
Original Poster

Programs: BA Gold, Hilton Honors Diamond, Mucci de buveur de gin
Whats up with BA7 today.....?

LHR - HND......just saw a tweet that it left London, got half way across Russia (after doing a loop the loop over Helsinki), turned back and is now at 38,000ft above Helsinki. What's happening?

Surely if it was something major, there would be an airport for them to divert to? DME? Looks like it might be going all the way back to LHR.

Any inside info? Just curious!

Old Jul 7, 16, 2:39 pm

Might not be anything "major" requiring a landing ASAP, it could be something less serious but serious enough that it requires them to return to an airport. If that's the case then returning to LHR where BA have the staff and facilities to deal with the aircraft and its passengers best would be sensible.
Old Jul 7, 16, 2:45 pm

Programs: SQ & QF
Flight Radar says its diverting to HEL. But BA.com show its as returning to LHR

http://www.britishairways.com/rtad/t...ate=2016-07-07
Old Jul 7, 16, 2:46 pm

Programs: BAEC Silver
It was initially delayed entering Russian airspace due to a problem with its flight plan. It was then was cleared to enter Russian airspace but the new route it was given meant it had insufficient fuel to get to HND. They attempted to arrange a divert for a fuel top up in Russia but this failed. Hence the return to LHR.
Old Jul 7, 16, 2:48 pm

Programs: Star Alliance Gold (A3 Gold), Oneworld Emerald (BA Gold), Hilton Diamond
Poor souls
Old Jul 7, 16, 2:49 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Down Low View Post
It was initially delayed entering Russian airspace due to a problem with its flight plan. It was then was cleared to enter Russian airspace but the new route it was given meant it had insufficient fuel to get to HND. They attempted to arrange a divert for a fuel top up in Russia but this failed. Hence the return to LHR.
^^ Man in the know

Ah well, I'm sure those passengers will get well looked after on their return to LHR!
Old Jul 7, 16, 2:50 pm

Programs: BA gold, OWE
Originally Posted by FN-GM View Post
Flight Radar says its diverting to HEL. But BA.com show its as returning to LHR
I think they would have run out of duty hours, if they would have refuelled at HEL. So the return to LHR become the only viable option.
Old Jul 7, 16, 2:51 pm

Programs: SQ & QF
Why not top-up in HEL?
Old Jul 7, 16, 2:51 pm
Moderator, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges, and Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold; Flying Blue Life Platinum; LH Sen.; Hilton Diamond; Kemal Kebabs Prized Customer
A 12 hour flight to nowhere due to avoidable errors. Goodness, I think even I would be a slightly annoyed at that. I guess going to HEL would have led to crew going out of hours and what not.
Old Jul 7, 16, 2:52 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Mucci. Nothing else matters.
They attempted to arrange a divert for a fuel top up in Russia but this failed. Hence the return to LHR.
At a guess, the first plan was to top up in HEL, but the crew would have gone out of hours and/or it was impossible to replace them with a fresh crew?

I don't feel only for those on board - I can immediately think of one FTer who will not be happy about this (for good reason).
Old Jul 7, 16, 2:54 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Globaliser View Post
At a guess, the first plan was to top up in HEL, but the crew would have gone out of hours and/or it was impossible to replace them with a fresh crew?

I don't feel only for those on board - I can immediately think of one FTer who will not be happy about this (for good reason).
Uh oh......!

Yeah, after 12 hours ending up back at your departure point, I guess you'd be annoyed. Although if I was in F, I think the annoyance would be slightly easier to deal with
Old Jul 7, 16, 2:57 pm

Programs: BAEC Silver
I'm sure everyone onboard will enjoy their breakfast before they land at 23:50 right back where they started.
Old Jul 7, 16, 2:58 pm
Original Poster

Now that's one way to screw with their body clocks!

Programs: Star Alliance Gold (A3 Gold), Oneworld Emerald (BA Gold), Hilton Diamond
I'd love to hear the captain's announcement!

Programs: BA gold, OWE
Originally Posted by stu1985 View Post
Uh oh......!
Although if I was in F, I think the annoyance would be slightly easier to deal with
Double dipping for TP's and Avios?

Search this Thread