Wiki Posts
Search

Maximum Tier Point Run

Search this Thread

Old Jul 7, 2016, 9:55 am
Original Poster

Programs: BA Gold
Maximum Tier Point Run

if one wanted to try to get 2500 TPs in one run, is this possible? has anyone ever done anything like this. Thinking of that GGL...

any help and tips in the right direction ....
Old Jul 7, 2016, 10:00 am

Programs: BA Gold (ex-GGL, maybe future Silver), Hilton Diamond
One HNL trip with a nested PTY return is possible, or would get you very close.

HEL - LHR - DUB - PHL - PHX - LAX - HNL, if allowable, would get you 1480 TP.

If you could then combine that with something like:

HNL - LAX - PHX - PHL - MIA - PTY

For 1,360 return

Then you would have an immensely uncomfortable week with limited sleep, a couple of airport hotels, and if you were lucky, £3k less in your back pocket.

Of course those are examples only, so you'd have to check them against pricing, rules, and availability, and frankly I'd rather be gold than go through all of that for access to the CCR and a few upgrade vouchers.
Old Jul 7, 2016, 10:00 am
Moderator: British Airways Executive Club

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold. GGL/CCR.
I'm not advocating doing this. You'd have to be a nutter in my opinion but here's one story:

http://www.headforpoints.com/2014/05...-than-40-days/

Last edited by golfmad; Jul 7, 2016 at 10:13 am
Old Jul 7, 2016, 10:01 am

It can be done, but the price of the ticket will be astronomical Maximum sectors (generally) per ticket is 16, therefore theoretically you could 16 * 210 (F TPs) = 3,360 TPs, but I would not want to know how much that would cost.

In reality, you could just do 2 DUB-HNL runs and (if you include a couple of HEL sectors) you could make the 2,500 target.
Old Jul 7, 2016, 10:04 am

But you wouldn't have to do it all on one ticket though. So in theory - there's no upper limit to the number of TPs you can earn on a 'TP run'. Just depends on how much time and money you want to throw at it.
Old Jul 7, 2016, 10:08 am

Originally Posted by Cymro
One HNL trip with a nested PTY return is possible, or would get you very close.

If you could then combine that with something like:

HNL - LAX - PHX - PHL - MIA - PTY

For 1,360 return

Then you would have an immensely uncomfortable week with limited sleep, a couple of airport hotels, and if you were lucky, £3k less in your back pocket.

Of course those are examples only, so you'd have to check them against pricing, rules, and availability, and frankly I'd rather be gold than go through all of that for access to the CCR and a few upgrade vouchers.
This is what immediately sprung in my mind.

H
Old Jul 7, 2016, 10:12 am
Ambassador, British Airways; FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: BA GGL/CCR, GfL, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by Cymro

No. 2 transfers per region so you can't connect in PHL, PHX, and LAX. The maximum for exEU runs to Hawaii is 1360 now, and 1200 without HEL.
Old Jul 7, 2016, 10:27 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: GMLFL, Life 2.0 - Mucci Premiere Classe & des Chevaliers Toulousiens
There is one in the TP run thread that I constructed and someone is/was actually doing... He has not been heard from in a while though... It starts at post #1085, but there are many ideas before that. http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/briti...thread-55.html

This is the first part that ABeautifulPlaceInThe is/was flying:

GRX MAD JFK SFO SJC LAX CLT ILM PHL SYR DCA MIA PTY MIA CLT ALB PHL PHX SJC SFO JFK MAD GRX

Still no idea if he survived.
Old Jul 7, 2016, 10:47 am

Originally Posted by rossmacd
It can be done, but the price of the ticket will be astronomical Maximum sectors (generally) per ticket is 16, therefore theoretically you could 16 * 210 (F TPs) = 3,360 TPs, but I would not want to know how much that would cost.

In reality, you could just do 2 DUB-HNL runs and (if you include a couple of HEL sectors) you could make the 2,500 target.
240 TP for 6000+ mile sectors so make that 3840 TP. Or since since a LHR-SYD under one flight number gets you 360, would the maximum then be 5760?
Old Jul 7, 2016, 10:49 am

Originally Posted by Flythe96flag
240 TP for 6000+ mile sectors so make that 3840 TP. Or since since a LHR-SYD under one flight number gets you 360, would the maximum then be 5760?
Yes, of course Doesn't even bear thinking about (even if it was all in F!!)
Old Jul 7, 2016, 10:54 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: GMLFL, Life 2.0 - Mucci Premiere Classe & des Chevaliers Toulousiens
16 sector RTW ticket ex South Africa is around $8000 in F, but it is hard to find an all F itinerary.
Old Jul 7, 2016, 3:51 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Silver, TK E+, AA PP, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott LT Plat, Hilton Diamond
Basically the cheapest way is to position to the west coast USA and do runs to PTY. I myself haven't built up the nerve to do more than one back-to-back, because I don't want my passport flagged as a potential drug runner or to get the dreaded SSSS for awhile.

ex-EU (which finally will be appropriate after Brexit!) to HNL nested with some runs to SJU help avoid leaving the US again until you're done, but will be more expensive than PTY.
Old Jul 7, 2016, 6:59 pm

Programs: BA GGL/CCR
Originally Posted by craigthemif
Basically the cheapest way is to position to the west coast USA and do runs to PTY. I myself haven't built up the nerve to do more than one back-to-back, because I don't want my passport flagged as a potential drug runner or to get the dreaded SSSS for awhile.

ex-EU (which finally will be appropriate after Brexit!) to HNL nested with some runs to SJU help avoid leaving the US again until you're done, but will be more expensive than PTY.
Just did a PTY back to back, and not my first this year. Customs asked why, I said "mileage run". He laughs and says I'm one of many. And you don't have to go through immigration at PTY, just stay airside and get back on the plane. Zero issues!
Old Jul 8, 2016, 12:41 am

Programs: BA Silver, AmEx Platinum, AVIS Presidents Club, Marriott Titanium Elite
In the sales earlier this year I managed to book:

DUB LHR JFK LAX LAS / LAX JFK LHR DUB

40 140 140 60 60 140 140 40 = 760

LAS-LAX-JFK-MIA-PTY-MIA-JFK-LAX

60 210 60 40 40 60 140 = 610

Total price was £998 + £550 = £1548

These tier points combined with 240 I will also gain from some CE flights should see me attain Gold for two years as my membership year just restarted a few weeks before this trip.

My actual destination is PTY (approx three weeks) but I've built in some gaps between the two tickets so will also visit LAS and LAX as well as two planned stops in MIA and JFK which are just under the 24hr limit.
Old Jul 8, 2016, 1:03 am

Originally Posted by craigthemif

Substitute SJU for PTY and you stay in the USA so have no passport problems.HNL-LAX-CLT-MIA-SJU prices out ok for some days.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.