Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

BA15 / 16 (LHR-SYD-LHR) - best strategy for 1.5 hour stopover in SIN

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

BA15 / 16 (LHR-SYD-LHR) - best strategy for 1.5 hour stopover in SIN

Search this Thread

Old Jan 2, 2018, 10:37 pm

Programs: BAEC Silver, Priority Club Gold, Herts Pres Circle
Did BA15 recently in J, had enough to time in the QF lounge for a shower and bite to eat.

Was in the lounge for around 40 mins, and by the time we got back to the gate, the flight was boarding.

QF shower cubicles are quite big and the freshly prepared food was very nice.

Will try the bar out on the return
Stez likes this.
Old Jan 3, 2018, 12:26 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Originally Posted by Southlondonbonviveur
This is why I preferred the QF rotation via Dubai because it is feasible to stay awake for the first leg and then get a really good long sleep on the 14 hour second leg. And yet I heard many a time that people preferred the Singapore stopover. For me LHR-SIN-SYD is very difficult for sleep and jet lag management.
I am not sure how there is much difference between the 2 ; both consist of a Long flight plus a shorter flight ; the only difference is whether the long flight is out of London or out of Sydney. On a r/t journey it will start with a long flight in 1 direction

Personally a morning departure with an evening arrival regardless of routing taken is the best for minimising fatigue after the journey
Old Jan 3, 2018, 4:37 am

Programs: BA Gold, Hilton Silver,
Aren't Qantas stopping all via Dubai routes from March 2018 and doing same as BA via Singapore? Will this spell the end for Emirates partnership and more importantly make the QF lounge at Changi much busier.
Old Jan 3, 2018, 5:28 am

Programs: Mucci Des Oeufs Brouilles et des Canards
Originally Posted by ThrowingBoeing
Aren't Qantas stopping all via Dubai routes from March 2018 and doing same as BA via Singapore? Will this spell the end for Emirates partnership and more importantly make the QF lounge at Changi much busier.
Yes
No (supposedly!)
Undoubtedly!

But it's a return to what it was like 5 years ago when QF left Singapore for Dubai. It's Asian connections will probably be retimed so that more people can connect there.

Last edited by dddc; Jan 3, 2018 at 1:22 pm
Old Jan 3, 2018, 5:58 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Mucci. Nothing else matters.
A quick look at QF's schedules for NW2017/18 and NS2018 suggests that it will basically be adding about two 380s to the capacity going through SIN.
Old Jan 4, 2018, 4:57 pm

Programs: Mucci, Diamond Status & on the Supreme Council des Conseillers, BA Ag, Bonvoy GFL/Plat, xVS Au
Thanks all, really useful. Don't think QF1 will impact as it will leave after BA 15/16 I believe.
Old Jan 5, 2018, 1:08 am

QF showers every time for me. They’re quieter at that time (in my experience) and you can normally just head straight in.

The BA showers are not as big and have had to queue a couple of times as everyone heads for the lounge at the same time.
stewardo likes this.
Old Jan 6, 2018, 12:50 pm

Programs: Titanium at Marriott & Platinum at American (both Lifetime) + various others
BEST STRATEGY FOR RETURN TO THE UK?

Thanks all for a very interesting thread. We have done UK-Australia in First on various routings over the years. In March, we will be on one of the first QF A380s returning to the SIN-MEL leg, so we are looking forward to that.

However, our return is on BA16 SYD-SIN-LHR. I know the QF First Lounge in SYD is stunningly good, so we'll start off with lunch there. But I wonder what fellow travellers think is the best strategy for eating/sleeping for the rest of the trip; and for the fairly brief stopover in SIN?
Old Jan 6, 2018, 1:16 pm

Programs: BA GGL
I was on the 16 last week, and managed quite well by getting up a little bit later on the morning of departure from SYD, staying awake the entire SYD-SIN (and eating as normal on board) and then on the SIN-LHR slept about 3 hours in until 30 mins to landing. Managed to stay awake until quite late that evening! Some people however were up at 2am UK time having breakfast... so no-one seems to have the right strategy.
Old Jan 6, 2018, 3:34 pm

Programs: BA gold
It's easier to be more disciplined on the return to UK, stay awake on the SYD-SIN leg, and sleep on the second leg after the meal. Avoid breakfast if you can to maximise sleeping on UK time, otherwise you end up eating brekky at 2am as the above poster said which is somewhere over far eastern Europe and still a ways to go yet.

The layover in SIN is a good time to get some duty free quickly, otherwise, just take it easy is what I generally do.

Yes, the QF Flounge is my favourite lounge in the oneworld network.

Originally Posted by MisterE
BEST STRATEGY FOR RETURN TO THE UK?
<snipped>
However, our return is on BA16 SYD-SIN-LHR. I know the QF First Lounge in SYD is stunningly good?
MHendo84 likes this.
Old Jul 10, 2018, 11:42 am

Programs: BA Gold
Originally Posted by Globaliser
Plenty of time to get a shower, especially if you're in F and therefore able to get off the aircraft faster than most.

It is worth going to the Changi airport website and looking at the PDF map of the terminal so you don't get lost on the way to the lounge. BA usually uses onf of the gates in the range C11-C26 (which are marked like that on the map). Follow the signs towards arrivals, but do not go down the escalators towards arrivals. Instead, carry on through the shops along the crosspiece of the H (you'll understand this when you see the map), and then go up the escalator towards the BA lounge. The Qantas lounge is almost next door, up the same escalator, which helps with navigation and swapping between lounges if you need to.
Hi All, first of all, as a long-time lurker on this forum, I wanted to thank everyone for an awesomely useful resource which has answered numerous questions for me on multiple occasions... however on this occasion, I could not find the answer, so here goes...

I found the map that Globaliser mentioned, but I could not work out which escalator was being referred to, so I attach a screenshot of the map where I have circled three candidates. As a newbie, I couldn't upload images so here's a Powerpoint. Please could ask I which escalator it is - I will be passing through SIN on the BA15 soon and want to optimise as much as possible the run from aircraft to shower in the limited time available. Thanks in anticipation!
Attached Files
File Type: pptx
Singapore airport.pptx (205.7 KB, 42 views)
Old Jul 10, 2018, 12:57 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Mucci. Nothing else matters.
I couldn't open that file, but I have found another map on which it is easier to point to the correct escalator.

On this image, it's the escalator near shop number 17:-

[Clicky.]

Or try via this link - works best if you click once and then click on it again.
Old Jul 10, 2018, 1:04 pm

Programs: AA Lifetime Gold 1MM, BA Gold, UA Peon
Use this map: http://www.changiairport.com/content...%20Transit.pdf
Look for the BA and QANTAS lounge and follow the linking blue line to the relevant escalator position on at the gate level. It is between the shops numbered 16 and 17. Up the escalator BA is to the right, QANTAS is to the left and round a corner.
Old Jul 10, 2018, 1:16 pm

Programs: BA Gold
@globaliser @flatlander thank you so much! That is exactly what I wanted to know. (My guesses by the way were completely wrong.)
Old Jul 10, 2018, 2:45 pm
Moderator, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges, and Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold; Flying Blue Life Platinum; LH Sen.; Hilton Diamond; Kemal Kebabs Prized Customer
Originally Posted by BAECAddict
@globaliser @flatlander thank you so much! That is exactly what I wanted to know. (My guesses by the way were completely wrong.)
And store 16 is the TUMI store, as in luggage, so that's how I find them. That said it is well signposted, so long as you expect to go up at some point you are unlikely to get lost. Once on that upper level, just look out for the deep blue wall panels of the BA lounge Welcome to Flyertalk BAECAddict, it's good to see you here, and I very much hope we will see more of you.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.