Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

To the kindhearted, caring, & courteous gentleman seated in 1A today.....

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

To the kindhearted, caring, & courteous gentleman seated in 1A today.....

Search this Thread

Old Jul 1, 2016, 3:01 pm
Original Poster
IHG Contributor Badge

Programs: AA EXP, IHG Diamond, IC Amb
Thumbs down To the kindhearted, caring, & courteous gentleman seated in 1A today.....

o...k, I lied....you are an a**hole.

Seat 1A on my LHR-ARN flight BA 782, you are an idiot. I was right behind you in 2A and wanted to smack you in your stupid head for being so effing mean to the FA's.

After boarding the male FA kindly asks him to put away his "device" for takeoff. 1A proceeds to argue with the FA telling him it will not fit in the pocket and he doesn't have to put it away because it is an "iPad." Male FA sees he is going to lose this battle and walks away.

Female FA comes over and kindly tells him he needs to stow it just for takeoff. He refuses and says "It's an iPad. I don't have to stow it as long as it is on Airplane Mode." She proceeds to tell him that he needs to stow it. She is kind and smiling and playing the friendly card instead of being stern.

He huffs and puffs but finally does something with it (I didn't care enough at this point to even look up front to see).

Fast forward to landing. The male FA again tells him he needs to stow it for landing. 1A steadfastly refuses and says "It's an IPAD! I DON'T HAVE TO STOW IT."

Female comes over once again....he argues and argues and argues and she is apologetic saying that it is her job to enforce the rules so that the cabin remains safe in case of emergency, etc. He finally yells "I am going to file a HUGE complaint on this crap. You will see!!!!"

I finally look.....and it is NOT a normal small iPad......omfg its a HUGE iPad Pro WITH A KEYBOARD ATTACHED THAT RESEMBLES THE SAME FOOTPRINT AS A LAPTOP....(which would obviously need to be stored for landing/takeoff.)

God, this world is full of stupid people....
Attached Images  
Old Jul 1, 2016, 3:12 pm

I applaud you on your restraint, I would have been severely tempted to have cracked him over the head with it...
Old Jul 1, 2016, 3:18 pm

Programs: BD, BAEC Pleb, VS Pleb, Accor Pleb, HHonors Gold, Big White Season Pass
I would have had a go at him as well. Stupid and selfish. He's lucky he was on BA
Old Jul 1, 2016, 3:20 pm

Why are you all having a go at him. Not his fault that the FA doesn't recognise an iPad with a keyboard attached. Doesn't make it a laptop no matter what size it is. BA lifted restrictions on phones and tablets as long as it was in flight mode.

There is no size limit for tablets.

Would have been just as annoyed as him.
Old Jul 1, 2016, 3:29 pm

I'm more concerned at the banking on that aircraft.

Palmer
Old Jul 1, 2016, 3:29 pm

Programs: BAEC Silver
Great thread title and first line ^

That's what I love about this forum, always a difference of opinion no matter what the subject matter is. Whether it's an iPad, iPad Pro or laptop, if the FA says it has to go then it has to go - simple !
Old Jul 1, 2016, 3:32 pm
Community Director

Programs: A3*G, BA Gold, BD Gold (in memoriam), IHG Diamond Ambassador
Originally Posted by BlueHorizonUK
Why are you all having a go at him. Not his fault that the FA doesn't recognise an iPad with a keyboard attached. Doesn't make it a laptop no matter what size it is. BA lifted restrictions on phones and tablets as long as it was in flight mode.

There is no size limit for tablets.

Would have been just as annoyed as him.
Except that's not the rule, it's all to do with size and weight, and it's done in the interest of the safety of everyone around, not just the person being asked to comply.

Aside from anything else, if a FA tells you do something, you do it and complain later - you most certainly do not disturb or endanger the rest of the cabin.

I think I'd also have had severe difficulty in biting my tongue if someone behaved as abominably as this description suggests - a pity, in fact, that he didn't get threatened with arrest which might have made him think a bit more next time.
Old Jul 1, 2016, 3:36 pm

Originally Posted by NWIFlyer
Except that's not the rule, it's all to do with size and weight, and it's done in the interest of the safety of everyone around, not just the person being asked to comply.
Exceprt of course there is nothing in any literature that says it is to do with weight.
Old Jul 1, 2016, 3:40 pm

Programs: BAEC Gold
Originally Posted by mike&co
Great thread title and first line ^

That's what I love about this forum, always a difference of opinion no matter what the subject matter is. Whether it's an iPad, iPad Pro or laptop, if the FA says it has to go then it has to go - simple !
This! Complying with crew instructions is definitely a rule, regardless of anything else.
Old Jul 1, 2016, 3:50 pm
Community Director

Programs: A3*G, BA Gold, BD Gold (in memoriam), IHG Diamond Ambassador
Exceprt of course there is nothing in any literature that says it is to do with weight.
I think common sense might suggest that's the reason though! Clearly having heavy objects flying around the cabin because they're not tightly secured really isn't conducive to flight safety ...
Old Jul 1, 2016, 3:53 pm

Swear the passengers on ARN flights are weird. Each flight in CE someone has been exceptionally rude to the Cabin Crew for no reason. Maybe I should stick to the 767 from now on.
Old Jul 1, 2016, 3:54 pm

Programs: BAEC , M&M , VIRGIN FC , FLYING BLUE
the gentleman in question it would appear refused to obey the instructions of the crew

I always understood that to do this was breaking international aviation law ???????

he was in the wrong end of
Old Jul 1, 2016, 4:27 pm
gms

Programs: BA Gold / GfL, Hilton Diamond
Well it's not explicitly to do with weight, but in reality it is about size/weight (i.e. would you want that hitting your head in a heavy landing?)

The rules are explained on BA.com. In essence:

"handheld devices with flight safe mode" must be secured in your hand or in a pocket during taxi, takeoff and landing.

"laptops, ultrabooks and notebooks" must be stowed for taxi, takeoff and landing

I can see why the crew would require a large tablet with attached keyboard to be stowed (certainly bigger than many ultrabooks). Especially if the person in question was not holding it!

As others have pointed out, the crew have to make a judgement call. I think they made the right one. Clearly the passenger concerned didn't agree. The crew should have just brought him a complaint form (not sure if they still exist!) and handed it to him during his rant.
Old Jul 1, 2016, 4:40 pm

Programs: BA Gold, Hilton Honors Diamond, Mucci de buveur de gin
I'm more concerned about the male FA who was happy enough to let it slide.
Old Jul 1, 2016, 4:48 pm
gms

Programs: BA Gold / GfL, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by stu1985
I'm more concerned about the male FA who was happy enough to let it slide.
From the description provided it sounds to me like he explained the situation to his female (potentially senior) colleague and asked her to intervene. My guess would be that he had probably sussed that the guy was going to be more confrontational to another guy than he would be to a woman. It seemed to work for takeoff, at least.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.