Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

Advice (hold out for a redemption or book lesser flight)

Advice (hold out for a redemption or book lesser flight)

Old Jun 30, 16, 6:15 am
  #1  
Original Poster
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: London, England
Posts: 366
Advice (hold out for a redemption or book lesser flight)

Here's the scenario...

I'm flying on BA1 to JFK next Thursday. Originally I was going to New York to meet a musician, they're now however going to be in LA, so a late change of plans! I need to get to LA that evening and ideally not blow the bank doing so.

Here's the two options that make the most sense, plus a 3rd ghastly thought.

1) Fly JFK-PHX-LAX leaving at 16:29, arriving 21:35. All for 576 in old domestic F. But does get F tier points.

2) Hold out for redemptions on AA's 3 class transcon on the 3:30pm or 4:45pm flights

3) Fly economy on AA, Virgin or Jetblue for around 300.

The problem here is that the late AA transcon seats only gets released within 48 hours of departure on BA.com. I've been monitoring it and there is highly likely to be good business and first seats released for that day, but the gamble is whether either of those two flights are included.

If you were me, what would you do? Is it worth booking a refundable ticket or should I just suck it up and do the JFK-PHX-LAX (which is about as late as I'd want to arrive)

Thanks in advance for any suggestions!
Bloomsbury is offline  
Old Jun 30, 16, 6:28 am
  #2  
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Location: London
Programs: BAEC Gold, IHG Spire Ambassador, Starbucks Gold,
Posts: 604
Originally Posted by Bloomsbury View Post
1) Fly JFK-PHX-LAX leaving at 16:29, arriving 21:35. All for 576 in old domestic F. But does get F tier points.

2) Hold out for redemptions on AA's 3 class transcon on the 3:30pm or 4:45pm flights

3) Fly economy on AA, Virgin or Jetblue for around 300.

...

If you were me, what would you do? Is it worth booking a refundable ticket or should I just suck it up and do the JFK-PHX-LAX (which is about as late as I'd want to arrive)
If I needed the TP then I would go for option 1.

If someone else was paying I would book option 1 on a flexible ticket and then cancel if redemption came available. But then again, if someone else was paying, I am not sure I would use my own Avios. And also if someone else is paying then I'd be pushing for option 1 over option 3!

You say that you have been monitoring the availability of the redemption - have you also been doing this with the paid tickets? If the cost isn't rising dramatically, then I would perhaps wait it out and hope.

But bottom line - if you have to be in LA on Thursday, the only way to guarantee it is to stump up the cash!
MrMutton is offline  

Thread Tools
Search this Thread
Search Engine: