UUA to WT+ (MMB showing Full TPs)

Old Jun 29, 2016, 3:21 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Mucci. Nothing else matters.
Originally Posted by Tdgraves
This IS correct.
It is NOT correct for UuA: if you upgrade using Avios, you only earn the Avios and TPs for the underlying cash fare, not for the upgraded cabin.

This is from http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/briti...os-2016-a.html:-
Originally Posted by Prospero
If you are travelling in a cabin higher than the original ticketed class, the number of Avios and Tier Points awarded for that flight does vary, depending on the circumstances of the upgrade. Here are some common upgrade examples and what you should expect to earn for each category:

• If you upgrade your ticket using Avios (UuA / MFU) then you get the Tier Points and Avios of the purchased ticket, so if you upgrade a World Traveller Plus ticket to Club World, you get the World Traveller Plus Tier Points and Avios.
  • If you purchase an upgrade - either through Manage My Booking or at the airport, you will get the higher level of Tier Points. So going from World Traveller Plus to Club World, you would get the Club World Avios and Tier Points.
  • If you receive an operational upgrade, you don't get the extra Tier Points and Avios of the upgraded sector, just those in accordance with the paid class of service.
  • If you pay for an upgrade, and then get a further operational upgrade (e.g. World Traveller Plus to Club World to FIRST), you should receive the paid for Tier Points and Avios (here Club World).
  • If you receive an operational upgrade and then pay for a further upgrade, you should only get the initial ticket level, in the above example World Traveller Plus Avios and Tier Points, but there are reports of passengers actually getting First Tier Points and Avios.
  • If the upgrade is with a oneworld airline the same principles apply, however there are reports of AA not always granting these upgrades.
Old Jun 29, 2016, 3:32 pm

Programs: BAEC
This IS correct. I have done it many times and it has been discussed on FT as well
again, I don't think that is the case for upgrades paid for with avios. The rules seems clear to me plus my personal experience is that when upgraded with avios I only got TP and points based on the underlaying cash fare.
IF POUGd or AUPd, then yes, got TP and avios per class travelled.

Also, sort of related/non-related...an AVIOS booking upgraded at the airport with cash, will still generate no TP or AVIOS.
Old Jun 30, 2016, 2:12 am

Programs: BA Gold
Well, I guess I must be "lucky" then, as I have always got the higher, upgraded level. That is why I am silver.....
Old Jun 30, 2016, 2:44 am
Ambassador, British Airways; FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: BA GGL/CCR, GfL, HH Diamond
Well, I guess I must be "lucky" then, as I have always got the higher, upgraded level. That is why I am silver.....
Yes you have been.
Old Jun 30, 2016, 2:54 am

Programs: BAEC Silver, HH Diamond, Avis President's Club
You do not say where you are flying, but I assume that the 180 is the correct TP for the flight in WTP. If you pay for an upgrade (either with cash or avios) then you earn for the cabin travelled in, not the original booking, so it is correct. In my experience these are added correctly by the system after travel.
That is indeed wrong, you don't earn the Avios or TPs when upgraded with Avios.

Occasionally a glitch will allow this to happen, but not normally. It is quite normal though for MMB to be incorrect.
Old Jun 30, 2016, 4:55 am

I did get upgraded TP but not Avios with my WT - WTP UUA booking, so the glitch worked for me.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.