FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   British Airways | Executive Club (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/british-airways-executive-club-446/)
-   -   Any Change in Travel Policies Due to Brexit? (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/british-airways-executive-club/1775117-any-change-travel-policies-due-brexit.html)

Paralytic Jun 29, 2016 2:21 am

Any Change in Travel Policies Due to Brexit?

We've heard BA say that they don't expect Brexit to fundamentally change their customers booking habits, but I've had a number of anecdotal discussions, both from leisure travellers, and from business travellers, which indicates that travel is being curtailed.

I've recently moved jobs, and my new role will involve a lot less travel, but I've learned that my former company has imposed a travel pause for all but customer-facing and urgent (VP approved) meetings.

I was wondering whether anyone's corporate travel policy has been amended since the Brexit announcement, or whether any additional guidance has been provided.

Sixth Freedom Jun 29, 2016 2:47 am

Originally Posted by Paralytic (Post 26846235)
I've recently moved jobs, and my new role will involve a lot less travel, but I've learned that my former company has imposed a travel pause for all but customer-facing and urgent (VP approved) meetings.

Can I assume that by "urgent" you actually mean important? :)

If so, then frankly I am surprised (well, I'm not really but... ;)) that any company spends money on moving employees around for meetings that are neither customer facing nor important.

Paralytic Jun 29, 2016 2:51 am

Originally Posted by Sixth Freedom (Post 26846298)
Can I assume that by "urgent" you actually mean important? :)

If so, then frankly I am surprised (well, I'm not really but... ;)) that any company spends money on moving employees around for meetings that are neither customer facing nor important.

:D

Urgent is the word used. Important meetings are now expected to be done remotely. Non-important ones should not be happening, but of course do, every hour of every day :)

With many geo-dispersed teams in the company, it was often beneficial to get everyone together in one location, say, once a quarter. That, and any offsite training (ie. employees travelling to another site to take part in training) have been suspended.

Sixth Freedom Jun 29, 2016 2:54 am

Originally Posted by Paralytic (Post 26846310)
With many geo-dispersed teams in the company, it was often beneficial to get everyone together in one location, say, once a quarter. That, and any offsite training (ie. employees travelling to another site to take part in training) have been suspended.

And those meetings are probably the most important ones... :D

Paralytic Jun 29, 2016 2:58 am

Originally Posted by Sixth Freedom (Post 26846319)
And those meetings are probably the most important ones... :D

Reading between the lines, Urgent == (Potentially) Revenue Generating.

msm2000uk Jun 29, 2016 3:54 am

Most of my Clients set me a travel budget, and I have always come in at under the monthly allowance - the balance I return to the Client.

However, with ex-Eu flights currently more expensive than a week ago (exchange rate), I have emailed the majority of mine and the Clients of the company, to advise a temporary increase in the required travel allowance.

Fortunately, the majority of our Clients are out of Europe, so none have been directly hit.

That being said, certain groups we work with have indicated a current interest in downloading VOIP software opposed to physical meetings.

M

Lgwfan Jun 29, 2016 4:52 am

No my company has not placed any restrictions, fortunately I work for a pro active company. It's a time to get out there, and meet with your customers and prospects. Not to sit in a bunker thinking the end is nigh. Brexit is an opportunity .

argonath Jun 29, 2016 5:11 am

Originally Posted by Lgwfan (Post 26846598)
No my company has not placed any restrictions, fortunately I work for a pro active company. It's a time to get out there, and meet with your customers and prospects. Not to sit in a bunker thinking the end is nigh. Brexit is an opportunity .

Hear hear well said ^^^

Behindthecurtain Jun 29, 2016 5:16 am

nope none at all. Business still needs to happen, meetings need to take place. the rules of the game have not changed, may not change and if they do, it will be at least 28 months before they do.

If you panic now, you create your own problems

LTN Phobia Jun 29, 2016 5:23 am

Originally Posted by Lgwfan (Post 26846598)

Well done to your company. That's the way to take this forward.

If everyone hid in a bunker nothing will move forward (things will probably go backwards) but grabbing opportunities make well bring lots of rewards.

That includes those of you who want to redeem Avios in premium classes - maybe a reduction in demand will bring you some extra Avios seats? ;)

stewaran Jun 29, 2016 5:29 am

No change here.

Not that BA would notice if we did make a change :-)

KenJohn Jun 29, 2016 5:33 am

Its not so much Brexit but cost cutting in preparation for a recession.

The UK currently has no government and no opposition for a couple of weeks.

Almost everyone with a house offer in place has seen that fall through with the expectation that house prices will fall for the same reason. The economy is begining to stall. It is not Brexit per se but the sentiment in the country.

strichener Jun 29, 2016 5:56 am

Originally Posted by KenJohn (Post 26846692)
Its not so much Brexit but cost cutting in preparation for a recession.

The UK currently has no government and no opposition for a couple of weeks.

Almost everyone with a house offer in place has seen that fall through with the expectation that house prices will fall for the same reason. The economy is begining to stall. It is not Brexit per se but the sentiment in the country.

The country manages to get by without a government and opposition when parliament goes into recess for a couple of months every summer. Perhaps we should try it more often!

KARFA Jun 29, 2016 6:00 am

Originally Posted by strichener (Post 26846740)
The country manages to get by without a government and opposition when parliament goes into recess for a couple of months every summer. Perhaps we should try it more often!

The government and opposition do not go in to recess over the summer, they are still very much in place and active.

Mutu Jun 29, 2016 6:07 am

Originally Posted by argonath (Post 26846655)
Hear hear well said ^^^

^^^^^^
As far as I, my business, and my family are concerned the UK is still part of the global village and actually if Europe buys less from us as a reaction to Brexit then I need to get on a plane and fly further afield to find new markets and customers

So I will probably spend more on long-haul and less on short haul if anything. My services are cheaper to overseas customers wherever they may be by about 20% - even European ones - so in reality once the dust has settled and people figure out the world wont end, it will be fine

IAG's risk is BA and £/$ £/€. Down the line if Brexit actually happens (still a good chance it wont you know) then depending on the new aviation treaties we enter into, FR may find its wings clipped a bit in the UK which MAY have a small positive on BA