BA F or AA F

Old Jun 28, 2016, 11:40 am
Original Poster

Programs: BA Silver, KLM, HILTON HONOURS
BA F or AA F

Our flight to New York has been cancelled and we've been offered F on AA. Is AA better than BA.
Old Jun 28, 2016, 11:48 am

Programs: BA Gold, AA Lifetime Gold 1.8mm, IC Spire Ambassador, Hilton Diamond, SPG Gold et al
While BA F has its detractors, the AA counterpart never feels like a true F product to me. You'll be perfectly comfortable but possibly a little underwhelmed.
Old Jun 28, 2016, 11:48 am

Programs: BA LTGold; LH Senator; HHGold; Bonvoy Plat
No - but worth trying
Old Jun 28, 2016, 12:16 pm

AA F is the aspirational benchmark that BA F is heading towards.

Please do a trip report so we know what's to come on BA
Old Jun 28, 2016, 12:27 pm

Programs: BAEC GGL/CCR, AS Gold MVP, IC RA, IHG Spire Elite, HH Diamond, Dennis The Menace Fan Club
AA F is even more removed from a First Class product than BA's F.

Food is identical in TATL AA F and J - just you get a soup course and a slightly different (terrible) wine list. 77w F seat is interesting, but nothing to write home about, and the couple of times I've tried it was irritatingly prone to swinging round without my wanting it to.
Old Jun 28, 2016, 12:37 pm

Programs: BA Gold, IHG Platinum, Accor Gold
I found the food in AA F to be bland, dull and definitely not what I'd expect from F (even on BA!). The wine selection wasn't as good as BAs but I liked the seat (no idea how the thing works, the crew would just swivel me in and out of position as required). I like the amenity kit much more than BAs (which is so bad I leave the BA one on the plane).

The staff were lovely once we'd all got over the shock of them having someone English (me) in the cabin. I'm pretty low maintenance but they realised it was my first time with AA (I'd missed my BA F connection so BA rebooked me in AA F) and they really looked after me. It does seem to be mainly Americans travelling in F. What I really liked is that several of the crew came up to me at JFK (while I was waiting for my bag) and wished me a nice holiday. Nice touch.

Do you get an amuse-bouche in AA F? I can't remember.
Old Jun 28, 2016, 12:50 pm

Programs: AA Lifetime Gold 1MM, BA Gold, UA Peon
In decreasing order of desirability:

BA F > AA F > AA 77W J > BA CW > AA new 772 J >> AA old 772 J

AA F seat is nice but the service is mediocre and the ambience (noise, light, etc) poor. Food is the J food which is boring but competent and the wines are cheap.
Old Jun 28, 2016, 1:30 pm

Programs: BA Silver, AA Gold, A3 Gold, Honors Diamond, Bonvoy Gold
AA F gets an additional main to choose from over J. They're usually edible, but nothing amazing.

Seat is pretty good and the service is usually friendly.
Old Jun 28, 2016, 1:44 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP 1.7 M, Hilton Gold, Hertz 5*, AARP Sophomore, 14-time Croix de Candlestick
AA F cabin has only 8 seats.

Catering is passable, wines poor.

Crews are very uneven; usually more senior staff, but many are professionals, some not.
Old Jun 28, 2016, 1:59 pm

BA F a year ago is better than AA 77W F. Not sure about now.
Don't they serve LPGS in AA F now? That's quite a step up.

Will be in BA F in 2 weeks so will see how they are now. The new July enhancements does not bode well.
Old Jun 28, 2016, 2:04 pm

Programs: BA LifetimeGold GGL/CCR
I would definitely go for AA F flying to JFK after all the enhancements in BA F. Negative: you leave from T3. Positive: you arrive at T8 at JFK (in general fast immigration and convenient if you have AA connection flights). Plenty of food on board and certainly enough water. CC is in general very friendly in F. Seats are good. IFE is less prone to issues on AA. Headset is much better on AA (real noise cancellation). Less people in AA F cabin. It's personal but AA is making efforts to deliver a good customer service to F pax and with BA you feel that everything is going downhill and as a customer you feel that negative vibe when flying BA.
Old Jun 28, 2016, 2:07 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP 1.7 M, Hilton Gold, Hertz 5*, AARP Sophomore, 14-time Croix de Candlestick
Originally Posted by vibguy
I would definitely go for AA F flying to JFK after all the enhancements in BA F. Negative: you leave from T3. Positive: you arrive at T8 at JFK (in general fast immigration and convenient if you have AA connection flights). Plenty of food on board and certainly enough water. CC is in general very friendly in F. Seats are good. IFE is less prone to issues on AA. Headset is much better on AA (real noise cancellation). Less people in AA F cabin. It's personnal but AA is making efforts to deliver a good customer service fro F pax and with BA you feel that everything is going downhill.
Oh, forgot AA offers fast satellite based wi-fi at a reasonable cost.
Old Jun 28, 2016, 2:35 pm

Programs: BA Silver, AA Gold, A3 Gold, Honors Diamond, Bonvoy Gold
Originally Posted by 5DMarkIIguy
Don't they serve LPGS in AA F now? That's quite a step up.
Yes, they were serving it when I flew with them last month - on both transatlantic and South American routes.
Old Jun 28, 2016, 2:38 pm

Programs: None anymore
Mrs 12939 prefers AA F to BA F. YMMV.
Old Jun 28, 2016, 2:39 pm

Programs: BA Gold, IHG Platinum, Accor Gold
Originally Posted by Non-NonRev
Oh, forgot AA offers fast satellite based wi-fi at a reasonable cost.
I thought the price was something ridiculous like $22 for the flight (7 hours in my case)....has the price come down??

The crew told me they were embarrassed that passengers in F had to pay for wifi. They thought it should be free.

Personally I don't want wifi. Flying is the one time I can get some peace and quiet without being disturbed. Last thing I want is to be bloody contactable!

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.