July's "enhancements"

Reply

Old Aug 14, 16, 5:09 am
  #301  
 
Join Date: Jul 2014
Location: Wedged somewhere between BTS and VIE ✈
Programs: Star Alliance Gold (A3 Gold)
Posts: 5,520
Oh I do hope that these articles get read and it hits the bookings.
headingwest is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old Aug 14, 16, 5:37 am
  #302  
V10
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Location: Provincie Antwerpen, Vlaanderen, BelgiŽ
Programs: MUCCI Gold
Posts: 2,392
Originally Posted by Can I help you View Post
WT plus are getting all the reductions.
In that case, that is indeed poor.
V10 is online now  
Reply With Quote
Old Aug 14, 16, 6:30 am
  #303  
 
Join Date: Jul 2014
Location: Buckinghamshire
Programs: BAEC Gold
Posts: 1,786
I work in a newsroom (a large one) and there's a lot of talk amongst the staff about the cost cutting at BA in Y and how Virgin Atlantic economy is a better all round experience.
Dicksbits is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old Aug 14, 16, 6:38 am
  #304  
 
Join Date: May 2014
Location: LHR
Posts: 470
Originally Posted by roarss View Post
Just enjoyed the following 'Ambient Snack' on a recent Nairobi - LHR overnight flight, down the back of the bus.

Skipping the hot meal (served at 1am) in favour of some sleep and breakfast. 5:30am comes and the 'wonderful selection' arrives...

SNACK BOX AMBIENT
Code FG40255
1 x Nature Valley Oats n Honey Bar 42g
1 x Mini Nachos 15g
1 x Water cuplet 36ml
1 x Salsa Sauce 25g
1 x Country Fruit Cake 27g
1 x Toffee twist wrap 9g
1 x Plain white napkin


Who needs to eat anyway? Salsa & tortilla chips for breakfast...

BAH! I feel bad for the staff who are given this rubbish to serve and suffer the flack from the PAX. Bad show BA.
It seems quite similar to the box that was used on some LGW band 4 (like RAK) but with nachos in lieu of the cheese and biscuit.

Shameful.
13900 is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old Aug 14, 16, 6:44 am
  #305  
V10
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Location: Provincie Antwerpen, Vlaanderen, BelgiŽ
Programs: MUCCI Gold
Posts: 2,392
Originally Posted by Dicksbits View Post
I work in a newsroom (a large one) and there's a lot of talk amongst the staff about the cost cutting at BA in Y and how Virgin Atlantic economy is a better all round experience.
VS certainly used to be well ahead of BA in Y, but they've not been immune to enhancing aspects of the service over the years either. If BA are behind again, it's probably down to the cuts at BA and general decline in the overall product rather than any particular improvements made by Virgin.

For premium economy, Virgin's offering is significantly better.

For casual travellers that aren't so concerned with frequent flyer programmes and where Virgin flies to the required destination, Virgin presents a better all-round proposition.
V10 is online now  
Reply With Quote
Old Aug 14, 16, 6:54 am
  #306  
 
Join Date: Jul 2014
Location: Buckinghamshire
Programs: BAEC Gold
Posts: 1,786
I recall in 1998 how in Virgin Y you'd get handed the same drawstring of goodies that they hand out in CW these days (plus a pen!).
Dicksbits is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old Aug 14, 16, 7:04 am
  #307  
 
Join Date: Jul 2014
Location: Buckinghamshire
Programs: BAEC Gold
Posts: 1,786
My partner tells me Emirates Y is streets ahead of BA and you get lots of food served.
Dicksbits is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old Aug 14, 16, 7:10 am
  #308  
FlyerTalk Evangelist, Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: Somewhere between 0 and 13,000 metres high
Programs: AF/KL Life Plat, BA GfL+CCR, Aclub Plat, Hilton Diam, Marriott Gold, blablablah, etc
Posts: 23,825
Originally Posted by headingwest View Post
Oh I do hope that these articles get read and it hits the bookings.
Reluctantly, I hope so too. I wish BA no harm, it is my primary airline and I'd rather it did well, but I do not see any other way in which they will break that idiotic cycle of permanent worsening of both working (from what staff tell us) and flying (from our own experience) with them.
orbitmic is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old Aug 14, 16, 7:27 am
  #309  
 
Join Date: May 2012
Location: London
Programs: BA Gold, HH Diamond
Posts: 528
Originally Posted by orbitmic View Post
Reluctantly, I hope so too. I wish BA no harm, it is my primary airline and I'd rather it did well, but I do not see any other way in which they will break that idiotic cycle of permanent worsening of both working (from what staff tell us) and flying (from our own experience) with them.
I echo this sentiment, but I fear that the knee-jerk reaction to bookings falling would most likely be to cut costs further...
JustTheOne is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old Aug 14, 16, 7:47 am
  #310  
Moderator, Emirates
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Location: Where My Heart Is
Programs: BAEC Silver, EK Blue
Posts: 2,720
Originally Posted by Dicksbits View Post
My partner tells me Emirates Y is streets ahead of BA and you get lots of food served.
I did a recent J flight GLA-DXB-PEK. Forgot all about it but on departing GLA, the CC informed me that they would be serving lunch and then an ice cream service before we landed in DXB. Had lunch, a few hours sleep and woke up about 2 hours to landing. As it was, the flight was fairly quick and no holding on approach to DXB but the ice cream service never materialised.

Could have sworn on my revious GLA-DXB flights we were served a light snack (sandwich/proper food) before landing. Was't too bothered though as had a few hours to kill in the lounge and knew I would have something substantial to eat before my next flight as my plan was to get straight to sleep.

Haven't done BA L/H for quite some time now but this is starting to bring back (not too good) memories of the early 2000's when major cutbacks started affecting BA's reputation. Remember the exact flight too. Had been working all day with no opportunity to get something substantial or hot down my neck and was on the late flight to BUD. Looking forward to a hot meal and was presented with a manky, cold pasta salad sans meat and that was the only choice other than nothing in Y. (Accepted it was hard times, just after 9/11 and all that but, a mini chocolate bar, nowadays, and only one at that, is laughable).

Safe & Happy Travels

S
Saltire74 is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old Aug 14, 16, 7:47 am
  #311  
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: Southampton, UK / Houston, USA
Programs: British Airways Executive Club Silver, Alitalia Freccia Alata
Posts: 1,347
I'm slightly confused to be honest. Doesn't NYC fall above the 7 hour flight band? Doesn't BOS for that matter? So surely it's only limited to the likes of DME, some of the middle east and west Africa?

Which routes has the second meal been taken away from? If my 10 hour 40 minute flight that I have to IAH this month doesn't have a second meal, that would honestly be a shock!

EDIT: Just seen the routes it's been taken away from in the first post. Doesn't change the fact that all of New England is above 7 hours in flight time (at least on the westbound segments)!
BA0197 is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old Aug 14, 16, 7:57 am
  #312  
Moderator, Emirates
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Location: Where My Heart Is
Programs: BAEC Silver, EK Blue
Posts: 2,720
Originally Posted by BA0197 View Post
I'm slightly confused to be honest. Doesn't NYC fall above the 7 hour flight band? Doesn't BOS for that matter? So surely it's only limited to the likes of DME, some of the middle east and west Africa?

Which routes has the second meal been taken away from? If my 10 hour 40 minute flight that I have to IAH this month doesn't have a second meal, that would honestly be a shock!

EDIT: Just seen the routes it's been taken away from in the first post. Doesn't change the fact that all of New England is above 7 hours in flight time (at least on the westbound segments)!
I'm sure the majority on here have at some time or other experienced the hour or more sitting on the plane at LHR before departure, then waiting the hour/90 minutes before being fed. What is meant to be a 7 hour flight in reality can turn in to 10-11 hours (boarding/departure delay/actual flight/arrival/long immigration queues/waiting on baggage/transfer to other flight/home/hotel) and the only realistic time to get fed is on the plane. It can be a long day with only being fed once.

S
Saltire74 is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old Aug 14, 16, 9:29 am
  #313  
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Location: Toronto
Programs: BA Silver, VIPorter, VIA Preference: PrivilŤge, Air Canada Aeroplan
Posts: 354
Why would you want to eat nachos and salsa in the morning?! Surely a large amount of these boxes go to waste? At least the dry croissant you used to get was time of day appropriate.

Seems like Wt+ is getting a particularly bad deal with this enhancement
williamn78 is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old Aug 14, 16, 9:57 am
  #314  
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Location: London
Programs: BA Gold (GGL/CCR)
Posts: 1,327
Originally Posted by williamn78 View Post
Why would you want to eat nachos and salsa in the morning?! Surely a large amount of these boxes go to waste? At least the dry croissant you used to get was time of day appropriate.

Seems like Wt+ is getting a particularly bad deal with this enhancement
Because when starved, one tends to crave foods with the highest caloric density. And it just so happens that these tend to be the some of the cheapest foods available. Croissants may be preferred, but now it's chocolate, biscuits, nachos all around.
Flythe96flag is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old Aug 14, 16, 2:57 pm
  #315  
FlyerTalk Evangelist
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: LHR
Programs: DL DM 1MM, AA Plat
Posts: 10,157


Yeah, a Mars bar will certainly satisfy after 6-7 hours in flight...particularly on the sometimes longer westbound flights...



rwoman is offline  
Reply With Quote

Thread Tools
Search this Thread