Community
Wiki Posts
Search

July's "enhancements"

Search this Thread

Old Jul 4, 2016, 3:30 pm

Programs: BA Gold GGL
Originally Posted by T8191
BA are not alone in this cost-cutting, of course. Currently at the DUB Hilton, where (since our last stay in January) ... no free cookies in the room, and no free drink at the Bar.
I think this is mentioned on the Hilton forum. These benefits were, I think, UK-only (including Ireland, presumably). The freebies have been enhanced because 'our customers found the different offerings in different countries confusing' (maybe). We have reduced them to the lowest common denominator.

Old Jul 6, 2016, 8:10 am

Programs: BAEC Silver, Hilton Diamond, IHG Spire mainly
Flew the BA209 in F to MIA on Monday and I was quite puzzled by the lack of a) amuse bouche b) tasting menu option and (drumroll please) c) no bistro menu offering. Wow, what a let down.

The crew rather shamefully told me that these were changes brought on by not enough demand(?) for the items. In other terms the flight was wonderful with an excellent crew, just the right mix of formality and friendliness.

I can only hope these are temporary changes. BA sent me a "Help us shape the future" survey a while back in which there were not many nice words being said about the direction they are taking.
Old Jul 6, 2016, 8:13 am
Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club, easyJet and Ryanair

Programs: BA Gold (GGL/CCR)
I'm afraid those changes are permanent changes to the F proposition.
Old Jul 6, 2016, 8:16 am

Programs: BA GGLfL, WoH Lifetime Globalist, HH Diamond, SPG Gold
I believe the BA 209 is operated by a 747. If so there would not have been a tasting menu option on 747 services; that menu was only offered on the A380 services. On A380 services there would have been the choice of either the regular menu or the tasting menu, the bistro menu was not offered on A380 services. So now on all First cabins there is an expanded regular menu, no Bistro menu and no longer an amuse bouche.
Old Jul 6, 2016, 8:30 am

Programs: BAEC
The amuse bouche was always a bit of a waste anyway. And I really don't see the difference between a bistro menu and having a larger selection of main items from which to choose. It largely seems like a renaming exercise...
Old Jul 6, 2016, 8:39 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: **Mucci Diamond Hairbrush** - compared to that nothing else matters (+BA Bronze)
Originally Posted by Can I help you
This service is now known as the "Oliver Service"' please sir can I have some more, sadly the answer will be no.
We are totally embarrassed by how little we are offering, if you are unhappy please complain in anyway you can, we have got to have this changed.
Will or has the loss of the Bistro meant that there is a vegetarian starter and main course option on the F menu?
Old Jul 6, 2016, 8:46 am

Originally Posted by TabTraveller
... And I really don't see the difference between a bistro menu and having a larger selection of main items from which to choose. It largely seems like a renaming exercise...
Apart from the reduction in choices? The two main bistro options that were offered have now become a single additional item to the main course options of the lunch/dinner menu. So not a larger selection as you suggest but a reduced selection.
Old Jul 6, 2016, 9:11 am

Programs: BAEC Gold
Flying on BA15 to SYD in a couple of months in F.

Assuming I have the full meal just after take off from LHR, would it be allowed or frowned upon if I ordered the burger/pasta/comfort option later on should I feel a bit peckish given its a fairly long flight? I can't help but wonder if it will make me feel a bit awkward having to order from the main menu for a second time when the bistro used to exist for this very reason.
Old Jul 6, 2016, 9:13 am

Programs: BA Gold, Hilton Honors Diamond, Mucci de buveur de gin
Originally Posted by Mkoleary
Flying on BA15 to SYD in a couple of months in F.

Assuming I have the full meal just after take off from LHR, would it be allowed or frowned upon if I ordered the burger/pasta/comfort option later on should I feel a bit peckish given its a fairly long flight? I can't help but wonder if it will make me feel a bit awkward having to order from the main menu for a second time when the bistro used to exist for this very reason.
You can do what you want in First. One of the advantages is ordering what you want when you want.
Old Jul 6, 2016, 9:22 am

Programs: BAEC
Originally Posted by Tobias-UK
Apart from the reduction in choices? The two main bistro options that were offered have now become a single additional item to the main course options of the lunch/dinner menu. So not a larger selection as you suggest but a reduced selection.
Well, no - if there were previously three main courses from which to choose, there are now four. That's an increase.

They have removed the bistro options, sure. Personally I never had these so from my point of view there has been an increase in selection for the main courses that I order, as I originally said.

Others are clearly upset about the removal of the bistro options but in nearly 20 F sectors last year I didn't have a single bistro item so it really has zero impact on me.
Old Jul 6, 2016, 9:37 am

Programs: BA GGL CCR GfL, SQ Gold, Hyatt Glob, HH Diamond, Marriott Plat, Cafe Nero Loyalty Card (7 Stamps)
Well, no - if there were previously three main courses from which to choose, there are now four. That's an increase.

They have removed the bistro options, sure. Personally I never had these so from my point of view there has been an increase in selection for the main courses that I order, as I originally said.

Others are clearly upset about the removal of the bistro options but in nearly 20 F sectors last year I didn't have a single bistro item so it really has zero impact on me.
I see it a bit differently. As far as I'm aware they've just moved a Bistro item to the main menu and removed the rest of the items entirely?

Given that Bistro items are pretty much available all the time, whereas it's common for them to run out of mains from the main menu, I can now see any additional food being "if available".
Old Jul 6, 2016, 9:48 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: **Mucci Diamond Hairbrush** - compared to that nothing else matters (+BA Bronze)

Except that the Bistro usually had the one vegetarian option so if you were feeling hungry as a VLML you could order the one item that was edible. The Amuse bouche was something else that differentiated F from CW in terms of food which if you ordered a VLML could possibly be the only savoury difference as the VLML was (and may still be although I hope not) shared between the two cabins.
Old Jul 6, 2016, 10:20 am

Programs: BAEC Silver, Hilton Diamond, IHG Spire mainly
Originally Posted by DoctorCopper
I believe the BA 209 is operated by a 747. If so there would not have been a tasting menu option on 747 services; that menu was only offered on the A380 services. On A380 services there would have been the choice of either the regular menu or the tasting menu, the bistro menu was not offered on A380 services. So now on all First cabins there is an expanded regular menu, no Bistro menu and no longer an amuse bouche.
Sorry, seems that I left this detail out. The BA209 was operated by an A380 last Monday (4th of July) and that is why I was wondering about the missing tasting menu. As this was completely missing from the menu, I would have thought they'd revert to the same 747 type menu with the Bistro selection, but apparently this was not the case with the "enhancements".

An expanded regular menu... I'll give it a little comparison on how it stacks up to the older menu from earlier on this year.
Old Jul 6, 2016, 10:30 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by pointtaken
Sorry, seems that I left this detail out. The BA209 was operated by an A380 last Monday (4th of July) and that is why I was wondering about the missing tasting menu. As this was completely missing from the menu, I would have thought they'd revert to the same 747 type menu with the Bistro selection, but apparently this was not the case with the "enhancements".

An expanded regular menu... I'll give it a little comparison on how it stacks up to the older menu from earlier on this year.
Could you possibly help me and let me know if there was a vegetarian option on the new expanded menu
Old Jul 6, 2016, 10:31 am

It's certainly not an increase, by any measure. There were on lunch/dinner services 4 main course options plus two bistro main course options - typically a comfort food option such a sandwich type dish (burger, panini etc) plus a pasta dish. Now there will be 5 main course choices including the comfort food option, a net reduction of one dish.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.