Brexit - Potential impacts on BA?

Old Jun 25, 2016, 11:23 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist, Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: AF/KL Life Plat, BA GGL+GfL, ALL Plat, Hilton Diam, Marriott Gold, blablablah, etc
Originally Posted by stimpy
Perhaps you aren't familiar with telecom regulation, but nearly every country in the world does just that.
I am actually fairly familiar with regulations and cannot think of a single Western country that impose to phone operators that they cannot impose any roaming charge (be it on calls, texts, or data) to their customers when they use their mobile phone abroad in specific countries, which is what we are talking about as per the new roaming regulation.

If you care to give me a specific example that you have in mind, I'll certainly be interested.
Old Jun 25, 2016, 11:25 am

Originally Posted by Calum
Why are we still talking about this? The people of the United Kingdom have made their choice, there's no going back.
Not necessarily true..

http://www.independent.co.uk/news/uk...-a7102931.html
Old Jun 25, 2016, 11:29 am

Programs: BA, KL, DL
Originally Posted by embarcadero1
I can say this much: I am less tempted to use Heathrow as a gateway to Scotland. The service wasn't good to start with, but with Scotland's looming exit from the UK (and presuming an expedited entry into the EU), it's more reason to prefer flights through Dublin.

Heathrow just becomes less attractive as a connecting airport.
36% of SNP voters from the last General Election voted to leave the EU just now. With the continuing low oil prices and Scotland's economy being stagnant, I can't realistically see them voting to leave the UK in a second referendum (if they were to even get one).
Old Jun 25, 2016, 11:31 am
Moderator: British Airways Executive Club

Programs: Battleaxe Alliance
Originally Posted by flatlander
Look at visiting Norway - not only is any alcohol there stratospherically expensive because it's a Nordic country
Some liquors/spirits are rather cheap at OSL duty free though.
Old Jun 25, 2016, 11:35 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: GMLFL, Life 2.0 - Mucci Premiere Classe & des Chevaliers Toulousiens
I was told by a friendly BA employee that the reason the call centers are so busy today is that they are receiving 'an unusually high number of flight cancellations'...

Possibly people who can't afford (or don't want to spend 20% more on) their foreign holidays anymore.
Old Jun 25, 2016, 11:36 am

Originally Posted by orbitmic
Indeed, as well as a hiring of very many British bureaucrats to fill departments where most of the work was so far transferred (with significant economies of scales) to the EU level such as environmental legislation, safety standards, consumer protection, etc. Many of those imply very technical skills and we do not have enough "free" scientists so either pay will have to be very significant, making the running of those operations onerous, or they will have to make decisions with lower scientific skills than has been the case so far (but then, I forgot that experts are apparently not needed anyway), or they will have to do what some other associate countries are doing which is to just swallow and replicate the decisions made in the EU, call them British, and lose any say on the decisions (the Swiss actually have a word for this process of "rubber stamping" of EU legislation).
I can tell you how this plays out in the U.S. when it comes to state-by-state regulation and enforcement: badly. A few states have the resources and the political will to do a semi-adequate job in attracting and supporting competent people (even then, it's usually work competitive people do out of public-spiritedness, at relatively low pay, so you can only keep them so long). Many of them lack one or both, or are easily overwhelmed on specific issues by well-funded industry. One would hope the UK would do better, but, hell, a state like CA has a higher GDP-per-capita than the UK does.
Old Jun 25, 2016, 11:43 am

Programs: BA (GGL G4L), AA (Gold), HH (Diamond); Marriott (Gold)
Any trip that originates in the EU is covered, and that would include trips operated via LHR (or elsewhere) by AA, BA, etc. so that would not change.
Originally Posted by Lefly
Thank you. I asked because I remember there was someone arguing that legs not touching EU country were not protected, even if inside an ex-EU trip.
I think this covers the simple case, but there are complex exceptions to this. See item 30 on http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/briti...61-2004-a.html as well as http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/briti...61-2004-a.html . Basically it gets more complex if the first flight is only delayed a bit, which causes you to miss the next flight and are then subject to a lengthy delay on the next flight.
Old Jun 25, 2016, 11:54 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Four Seasons Contributor BadgeMandarin Oriental Contributor Badge

Location: Seat 1A, Juice pretty much everywhere, Mucci des Coins Exotiques
My suggestion is that it would be incredibly intrusive and unlikely for a government of any country to impose fare limitations to the price of a service,...
OK, here is an example, right in the UK where OFCOM not only imposes fare limitations on telecom service, but the also the Post. http://media.ofcom.org.uk/analysts/regulated-prices/

And note that all those EU telecom regulations are not just EU law. They are also folded into national law in each country of the EU. So that means that when the UK exits the EU all those laws will still be on the books in the UK. Until OFCOM or the UK Parliament decide to change them, right?
Old Jun 25, 2016, 11:55 am

Programs: AF/KL Life Plat, BA GGL+GfL, ALL Plat, Hilton Diam, Marriott Gold, blablablah, etc
Originally Posted by seattle29
36% of SNP voters from the last General Election voted to leave the EU just now. With the continuing low oil prices and Scotland's economy being stagnant, I can't realistically see them voting to leave the UK in a second referendum (if they were to even get one).
Well, I don't think we should go OMNI but today, the leader of the Scottish Labour Party has said that they are "considering all the options" and refused to rule out support for independence. If this is more than a simple misunderstanding, this is massive as so far the party has always been fiercely opposed to independence.

So if indeed the SLP decide to support independence, I have no doubt that a second independence referendum would indeed end up being organised and this time, especially if the economic and social situation deteriorates as a result of Brexit, it is not impossible at all that independence might win.
Old Jun 25, 2016, 12:10 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Gold/OWE, several MUCCI, and assorted Pensions!
I have much sympathy for Her Majesty in this unfolding scenario.

One one hand she gets her Nation back from Bruxelles, and on the other constutuent parts continue to try to fragment it.
Old Jun 25, 2016, 12:31 pm
Ambassador, British Airways; FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: BA GGL/CCR, GfL, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by T8191
I have much sympathy for Her Majesty in this unfolding scenario.

One one hand she gets her Nation back from Bruxelles, and on the other constutuent parts continue to try to fragment it.
Get her nation back from Brussels?
Old Jun 25, 2016, 12:45 pm

Originally Posted by john205
There is no way that will happen. Just imagine what would happen if they actually passed that.
Old Jun 25, 2016, 12:46 pm

Originally Posted by KARFA
+1. When exactly had she lost it?
Old Jun 25, 2016, 12:49 pm

I guess this also means that we're stuck with afternoon tea
Old Jun 25, 2016, 12:55 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Gold/OWE, several MUCCI, and assorted Pensions!
Originally Posted by KARFA
+1. When exactly had she lost it?
OK, Her Parliament has lost many of its powers to Bruxelles. As it has to Wales and Scotland and Northern Ireland.

Where is the glue that holds/held Great Britain together?

Anyway, I strayed from the BA-specific topic. Apologies.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.