Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Brexit - Potential impacts on BA?

Search this Thread

Old Jun 24, 2016, 1:49 pm
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: AA, BA, Accor, Honors Diamond, IHG Diamond Elite and lots more....
Originally Posted by henkybaby
And you believe that is what will happen now?
Immigration will increase 10 fold.

Not that I had an issue before as more from outside eu than from within.
Old Jun 24, 2016, 1:58 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Gold/OWE, several MUCCI, and assorted Pensions!
Originally Posted by GentleGiant
Immigration will increase 10 fold.

Not that I had an issue before as more from outside eu than from within.
Taking Immigration as a single issue, and risking heading for OMNI/PR, BA could benefit from the rush of ex-EU migrants before the door slams shut.
Old Jun 24, 2016, 2:01 pm
Moderator: British Airways Executive Club, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges and Environmentally Friendly Travel

This a polite follow up request to keep this thread on topic.

Engagement on the wider issues of Brexit is more appropriate in the existing http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/omni-...iscussion.html thread.

Thanks,

Prospero
Moderator: BA forum
Old Jun 24, 2016, 3:59 pm

Will BA still facilitate free copies of the Daily Mail on their flights given their xenophobia (and that of politicians) has manifested in our EU exit?

http://waterfordwhispersnews.com/201...the-irish-sea/
Old Jun 24, 2016, 5:04 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: OW Emerald, *A Gold, NEXUS, GE, ABTC/APEC, South Korea SES, eIACS, PP, Hyatt Diamond
Originally Posted by London_traveller
The key macro impact will be levels of investment in IAG. Other British and European airlines too, but the impact on currencies is massive. Already airlines are being downgraded as investments.

Bear in mind in this context, looking at an independent forecast of foreign exchange, they expect £1 to be trading at $1.20 by year-end, and £1 to be trading at €0.92 (yes, below parity). So aside from prices to the airline depending on which currencies they do business in, the significant impact is on BA in that far fewer people will be travelling, certainly for leisure, if the cost of heading to the US has become more expensive and heading to Europe, significantly more so.

Hello more enhancements so BA can recoup more profits
I somehow doubt that €/$ will rise by >15℅ towards the end of the year...
Old Jun 24, 2016, 5:10 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: OW Emerald, *A Gold, NEXUS, GE, ABTC/APEC, South Korea SES, eIACS, PP, Hyatt Diamond
Originally Posted by NWIFlyer
Clearly it's far too early to say what Border Control will be like, and indeed Immigration Policy beyond that, but my Dutch colleague - sitting in BUD airport with me earlier - bemoaned the fact that it currently takes him far too long to enter the UK via LHR or STN, both airports BA now uses. He normally has to do this on business, but when he has discretion or can take a different routing he does so.

His view that it will therefore only get worse rather than better would tend to suggest that the time and hassle to enter the UK might well be a contributory factor, particularly on leisure heavy routes where passengers might well be making a conscious choice as to which country they want to visit. I wouldn't bother to visit a country for a weekend where either I needed to get a Visa or I knew immigration queues might well eat up too much of my available time.

Holidays are probably not a large percentage of BA's business, but when you're fighting for every passenger putting yet another barrier in the way does not help one iota. There'll be an impact on BA for sure - least of their worries compared to the Sterling/Euro increase in fuel though!
I'm surprised that people are complaining about the EU passport queues.
They must be faster than 'fast track'which itself can feel slow...
Old Jun 24, 2016, 8:23 pm

What happens to UK's aviation PR industry and their relentless preaching about free/open market aviation?

When their own citizens didn't trust similar theories from same pundits about EU, why rest of the world's airlines/regulators should pay attention.

I hope Mr.Walsh will also stop preaching others about competition.
Old Jun 24, 2016, 10:44 pm

Programs: FT
Originally Posted by MPH1980

Edit: As an example - just think about the US/Canada border. Both countries have reciprocal visa wavier rights. Both countries require a work permit if you want to stay and work. It requires a border check to actually work.
and seems like neither of our economies have ended up in the toilet because of this? Sure, there are differences in priorities....and what people believe they have rights to.
Old Jun 24, 2016, 11:58 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Hilton, IHG - BA, GA, LH, QR, SV, TK
Originally Posted by capin
..... i want everyone to have the same shot at migrating to the UK wherever they are from. I want a Thai doctor to have the same opportunity to come to the UK as a German doctor. Fairness!!
Bless
Old Jun 25, 2016, 12:21 am

Originally Posted by mkjr
and seems like neither of our economies have ended up in the toilet because of this? Sure, there are differences in priorities....and what people believe they have rights to.
And again, the point I was making here is it isn't about the visas or the economy, it was about the impact of the border on the Irish relationship and Northen Irish peace settlement.
Old Jun 25, 2016, 1:05 am

Programs: BA Gold, FB Ivory (no more AF), Accor Plat, VS Silver, HH Gold
Originally Posted by bd95
These checks already exist. Home Office staff can be sporadically found hiding inside the security channel in BHD checking documents of departing pax at times when there are no international departures. I'd guess this is because of the open border to the South.

Don't forget the Irish already impose random immigration checks on traffic heading south - they can and do because the CTA only applies to Irish and British citizens born and resident in the CTA.
Spot checks are undertaken on the streets on a daily basis too and I suspect more frequently in east London than on BA flights from Belfast. Proper controls of those using the airport (who may have entered NI through an uncontrolled land border) could not be imposed without serious opposition from NI politicians who would see it as a downgrading of their status in the mothership.

I expect to see the CTA continue but then I cannot see how the UK/GB/whatever emerges from Brexit ashes to remain in the EEA with free movement to get the trade deal which is sought.

That will mean BA can continue to recruit from within the EU (yeay) and the chief executives of the U.K. Sub of IAG can continue to be dawn from the best and brightest of Iberia/Vueling staff.
Old Jun 25, 2016, 2:01 am

Wonder what will happen with the EU credit card fee cap for cards issued in the UK?
Old Jun 25, 2016, 2:15 am

Programs: BA GGL, BA Amex Prem, Amex Plat, Hilton Diamond, Sir Crazy8534 de l'ordres des aides de Pucci
Originally Posted by Hannibal Lecter
Wonder what will happen with the EU credit card fee cap for cards issued in the UK?
That is something I hadn't thought of.
Might be positive for Amex users.
Old Jun 25, 2016, 2:26 am
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: AA, BA, Accor, Honors Diamond, IHG Diamond Elite and lots more....
Originally Posted by Hannibal Lecter
Unlikely to change.

First of all it will not change in the next 2 years or so.

Second if we do exit the EU then I suspect the majority of the guidelines will carry over into UK law such as credit card fees, mobile roaming etc.
Old Jun 25, 2016, 2:33 am

Originally Posted by GentleGiant
Unlikely to change.

First of all it will not change in the next 2 years or so.

Second if we do exit the EU then I suspect the majority of the guidelines will carry over into UK law such as credit card fees, mobile roaming etc.
The automatic nature of that will depend on whether it's a regulation (imposed by the EU) or a directive (which has to be codified into local law).

The credit card cap was a regulation, so without a LOT of law passing, a lot of those regulations are likely to simply disappear on exit.

Keep in mind the UK has enough civil service to run the country. That civil service is going to be trying to do that, and negotiate new trade deals, and the EU exit, and figure out the Scottish situation all at the same time. That's before we get into a comprehensive review of the law (for removal of inappropriate directives) and then new laws for regulations we want to keep on top of that ...

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.