Refused Lounge entry at PHL

Old May 27, 2019, 5:52 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Platinum MM; AA Gold; DL Silver; IHG Diamond Ambassador; Hilton Gold; Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by ISTFlyer
If your domestic flight was going to depart at a similar time with any BA flights or the QR flight, you might have been rejected because of capacity reasons.
BA #66 has a scheduled departure time of 6:40 p.m. My AA flight departing PHL started boarding at 3:49 p.m., with a scheduled departure time of 4:24 p.m. I was told I could not access the lounge not because it was at capacity or because of stated concerns it would become full, but because I supposedly was not allowed to access the lounge “as an arrivals lounge” in between my international-to-domestic connection.
Old May 27, 2019, 8:52 pm

Originally Posted by danboy767
Travelling home this week outbound flight was BA and return leg on AA but BA booking. A colleague (also gold) and I were was refused entry to the PHL lounge. We were bluntly told to use the AA lounge as they were expecting the lounge to be busy later! We did not want to use the AA lounge for obvious reasons.

Now I realise that there are fire and safety rules re capacity but surely would have thought this should be on a first come first served basis.

Complained to no avail and then went to the AA lounge where we paid for our drinks at $11 per G & T. Walking by around 2 hours later the BA lounge was still not busy with many free seats!!!

Called BA on my return to complain who stated whilst entry refusal was wrong they would not compensate me in any way. The whole episode has left me very disappointed as with travelling in Y lounge access was one of the only reasons we booked BA! :-(

Anyone else ever experienced anything similar?
We are two BA Gold members (OWE) flying PHL/DOH on QR (metal & code). The BA PHL lounge agent insisted that we could only use the Business section because thats the lounge provision QR had made with BA PHL and refused us entry into the First section despite it being empty at the time. Bottom line, the lounge agents do not understand the OW lounge access framework and seem to be taking orders from their superiors on the ground, who have enforced a parallel set of rules. As yet Im uncertain if their superiors on the ground are equally dumb or merely choosing to be non-compliant. Any clue how to get Waterside to reform these rogue elements?
Old May 27, 2019, 9:21 pm

Programs: AA Exp, Radisson VIP, Expedia OneKey Platinum, Hilton Gold, Bonvoy Gold, Hyatt Explorist, Amex Plati
Because of this lounge access nonsense, both at PHL and other US locations, I actively avoid giving BA my business. So many times they have denied access to a visibly empty lounge, when all I needed was an hour or less. No way would there be a capacity issue. I advocate for more of us to vote with our wallets until BA gets better at fulfilling its Oneworld obligations.
Old May 28, 2019, 12:08 am

Programs: BA GGL, CCR - TK G
Originally Posted by TheRealBabushka

We are two BA Gold members (OWE) flying PHL/DOH on QR (metal & code). The BA PHL lounge agent insisted that we could only use the Business section because thats the lounge provision QR had made with BA PHL and refused us entry into the First section despite it being empty at the time. Bottom line, the lounge agents do not understand the OW lounge access framework and seem to be taking orders from their superiors on the ground, who have enforced a parallel set of rules. As yet Im uncertain if their superiors on the ground are equally dumb or merely choosing to be non-compliant. Any clue how to get Waterside to reform these rogue elements?
I had the same experience last year. How they explained made sense tho.
This is not a fully operated ba lounge I was told. They share. So when Qatar rents this space they only rent the business section and with a totally different catering than ba. That's actually why the food choices were much better at the qr times.
They didn't have the seated service in the back tho that ba has.. The pre dining.
It made sense to me.
watersign likes this.
Old May 28, 2019, 9:05 am

Originally Posted by Vasco Pridat
I had the same experience last year. How they explained made sense tho.
This is not a fully operated ba lounge I was told. They share. So when Qatar rents this space they only rent the business section and with a totally different catering than ba. That's actually why the food choices were much better at the qr times.
They didn't have the seated service in the back tho that ba has.. The pre dining.
It made sense to me.
Are you suggesting this is not a BA operated lounge?
That is the only dispensation under the OW lounge framework. The issue of whether a lounge is OW operated or non-OW operated is binary and is a statement of fact.
Old May 28, 2019, 9:58 am

Programs: BA GGL, CCR - TK G
Originally Posted by TheRealBabushka
Are you suggesting this is not a BA operated lounge?
That is the only dispensation under the OW lounge framework. The issue of whether a lounge is OW operated or non-OW operated is binary and is a statement of fact.
Of course I don't know the contract or the facts.. But I was told that this space is shared.
So for some times of the day it is a ba lounge, where ba books the space, puts their uniform on the staff and books their catering.
At other times.. Qr books the space, puts different hats on the girls and has different catering.. Of course at both times you can use the lounge as ow flyer.. But under different rules.. Because qr does not operate a first class section like ba.
That's why I had to not be able to use the f lounge either last October
Old May 28, 2019, 11:58 am

Originally Posted by Vasco Pridat
Of course I don't know the contract or the facts.. But I was told that this space is shared.
So for some times of the day it is a ba lounge, where ba books the space, puts their uniform on the staff and books their catering.
At other times.. Qr books the space, puts different hats on the girls and has different catering.. Of course at both times you can use the lounge as ow flyer.. But under different rules.. Because qr does not operate a first class section like ba.
That's why I had to not be able to use the f lounge either last October
I would not take the statements of these lounge agents at face value, particularly when they do not line up to the rules, and are inconsistent with the facts.
Even if we assume they are correct that the lounge is "shared" (by the way shared does not have a special meaning in the OW lounge framework), where we assume shared means dual-operated (BA and QR), the lounge would therefore still fall under the definition of OW operated, since BA and QR are both OW members (e.g. QF LAX Business lounge managed by QF but operated in partnership with BA and CX). Consequently access to the First class section should be given.
This idea of BA or QR booking the space sounds like an awfully lame response by lounge agents trying to palm people off. I should hope they'd be more creative if they wanted their deception to stand up.
Old May 28, 2019, 1:22 pm

Programs: Delta SKYMILES SM 1MM, BRITISH AIRWAYS GOLD, HHONOURS DIAMOND, PRIORITY PASS
I was there last week on a PHL-DUB flight booked with AA, got in with my Gold card
Old Jun 22, 2019, 5:42 pm

Programs: GGL
Today's data point. Refused access to First side because I was flying Qatar Business. I just got fed up with the debate and went to a bar.
Old Jun 22, 2019, 6:32 pm

Originally Posted by cjb666
Today's data point. Refused access to First side because I was flying Qatar Business. I just got fed up with the debate and went to a bar.
Really confused by this. Forgive me if I'm lacking knowledge here, but why should you be entitled to access to a F section of a BA lounge, when flying OW J?
Old Jun 22, 2019, 8:52 pm

Programs: BA Gold
Originally Posted by Flexible preferences
Really confused by this. Forgive me if I'm lacking knowledge here, but why should you be entitled to access to a F section of a BA lounge, when flying OW J?
Because usually a OW Emerald is entitled to use the First Class Lounge when traveling a OW airline, even in Y.
Old Jun 22, 2019, 9:36 pm

Programs: AA, BA, NH, TP
Originally Posted by Flexible preferences
Kindly request and suggest that you go and read the OW rules and then post FT with questions and queries.

Last edited by fatmac70; Jun 22, 2019 at 9:36 pm Reason: spelling
Old Jun 22, 2019, 9:54 pm

Programs: BA Gold, AA Lifetime Gold 1.8mm, IC Spire Ambassador, Hilton Diamond, SPG Gold et al
I was refused entry a few weeks ago when flying a BA codeshare flight in AA J. What struck me was that the explanation all seemed very routine and standard ("I see you are flying AA") and I was left with the clear impression that it would have been given whatever the capacity circumstances at the time.
Old Jun 23, 2019, 1:26 am

Programs: BA (GGL/CCR)
I must say this thread causes me to have a great deal of sympathy for the people employed as agents at the BA lounge in Philadelphia. It seems every working day they can expect someone with a shiny card and an economy boarding pass for an AA flight to Boston or somewhere to rant at them, making pompous comments about how they seem to be unfamiliar with OneWorld rules, and demanding that they be allowed to guzzle the free food and booze in the F section of the lounge even if that means an actual BA F passenger being left out in the corridor. I have a BA flight from PHL to LHR in F soon and I intend to make a particular point of thanking whoever is on duty for their assiduousness in ensuring the lounge facilities are available to those for whom they are primarily intended. It seems the least one should do.
Old Jul 8, 2019, 5:11 pm

Programs: Mucci Chevalier de Actes Bnfiques pour les Autres, BAEC Gold.
Just got into the First bit of the lounge at PHL before tonight’s slightly delayed 10.00pm flight to LHR.

I must say the two lounge dragons on duty were both friendly, helpful and very engaging, even when denying access to the chap in front of me!

Only problem in the lounge is the lack of charging points. Just two trailing socket banks of four which maybe a problem when it gets busy.

Is First dining worth going for here, or is the food generally better when on board?

Thanks

BM

Last edited by BarneyMcGrew; Jul 8, 2019 at 5:17 pm

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.