Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Refused Lounge entry at PHL

Search this Thread

Old Apr 18, 2019, 4:16 am

Programs: BAEC Gold
Originally Posted by Reetmafreen
Over here, Smirnoff is one step above gut rot. I’ve never understood why it’s rated so much in the UK.
In a New York Times blind tasting of 21 world-class vodkas, Smirnoff won as the "hands-down favorite".
Old Apr 18, 2019, 4:41 am

Programs: BA Silver, Hilton Diamond, Marriot Gold, Radisson Gold, Amex Platinum
Originally Posted by Reetmafreen
Over here, Smirnoff is one step above gut rot. I’ve never understood why it’s rated so much in the UK.
I've never understood why anyone gives ratings to one vodka over any other vodka. It's main selling point is it tastes of nothing. It doesn't have the potential boast of 100% agave tequilla (no hangover) or variations of tastes with Whisky, Rum or Gin. To me, if you want Grey Goose, you're buying a bottle but the contents make no difference.

But I can see if the PHL lounge pulls out an unnamed scotch, it might make a difference. Or Johnny Walker standard.
Old Apr 18, 2019, 4:48 am

There's nothing... and then there's nothing. I find Smirnoff actually has a noticeable flavour, which some like.

Then you get into amount of burn, mouth feel etc etc.

(I'm primarily a rum drinker now, but I used to drink a lot of vodka... and sorry, I know it's off topic!)
Old Apr 22, 2019, 1:11 am

Programs: BAEC Gold, Hilton Gold, Marriot Platinum
Data point as on 15/Apr/19. 4 PM

BA Gold, Flying AA out of PHL. Allowed entry to the Lounge & First Section. While I was there, a AA Exec Plat (Flying AA) showed up and he was allowed entry as well. No questions asked.

Sandwiches/ Salad / Light Bites are on offer with self serve bar.

The Pre-Flight Dining is only for those flying BA.
Old Apr 22, 2019, 3:18 am

Programs: BA (GGL G4L), AA (Gold), HH (Diamond); Marriott (Gold)
Originally Posted by Flexible preferences
My recent visits to AA Admirals Club lounges in SFO and PHX were underwhelming. Drinks vouchers were strictly rationed to 2 per visit, and guests did not receive any at all (so guests do not have the same lounge benefits). So on our visits my partner and I had one drink each as I guested him in. Pours were not of the long persuasion either.
Originally Posted by ratypus
my experience last week is that anywhere with several Admiral's Clubs, they can't track through the system whether or not you have already had your paper 'premium drink' vouchers - so I got two vouchers at the A-West Club in PHL, then two more at the B/C Club...(and could presumably have tried the same trick at A-East and F if I'd really been that bothered...)

works anywhere with several Admiral Clubs - PHL, I think CLT as well (same as PHL - the former US Airways lounges became ACs), Boston?
PHX and BNA have moved to electronic vouchers tied to scanning your boarding pass, and the plan is to move to that at all Admiral's Clubs by the end of the year. So the multi-lounge drink visit is likely over. It's not clear if there's going to be a limit per day or per airport or per lounge location.
Old Apr 22, 2019, 3:25 am
Moderator: British Airways Executive Club

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold. GGL/CCR.
Originally Posted by dylanks
PHX and BNA have moved to electronic vouchers tied to scanning your boarding pass.
As has CLT.
Old Apr 22, 2019, 4:42 am

Odd, I was given vouchers at PHX two weeks ago.
Old Apr 22, 2019, 4:50 am

Programs: BA GGL
No paper vouchers for me at PHX last November and 10 days ago - both times near low numbered A gates.
Old Apr 22, 2019, 5:53 am

Programs: BAEC Gold
I was travelling club world from PHL and I have a gold card. I was allowed entry to the first lounge, though I was only allowed pre-flight dining in the business section. They had a sheet of all the first class passengers and would only serve them food. Seemed a bit silly to me. What's the point of having a gold card if you don't even get the benefits from it.
Old Apr 22, 2019, 7:17 am

Programs: AA, BA, NH, TP
Originally Posted by Sparth3103
I was travelling club world from PHL and I have a gold card. I was allowed entry to the first lounge, though I was only allowed pre-flight dining in the business section. They had a sheet of all the first class passengers and would only serve them food. Seemed a bit silly to me. What's the point of having a gold card if you don't even get the benefits from it.
At PHL F Dining is for F class passengers only and not a Gold/OWE benefit. Maybe helpful if you read up on the rules.
argonath likes this.
Old Apr 22, 2019, 7:39 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: TK Elite Plus,BAEC GGL,ITA Executive, AFKL Gold,QR Gold,HH Diamond,Bonvoy Gold,ALL Gold
Originally Posted by Sparth3103
To prevent all non AAdvantage Emerald's flying domestic to use the service. This is why BA dining rooms are only reserved for BA First and Club World.
Old Apr 23, 2019, 10:47 am

Programs: BA silver, Flying Blue gold, Marriott titanium
My recent experiences flying LHR - PHL on BA connecting to SEA on AA, BA Gold flying CW. 18 April: after arriving on BA flight, I was told that BA lounge is a "departure lounge" for BA flights, not arriving BA flights. Approximately 3:30 pm. Lounge completely empty. When pressed, was allowed in on the understanding that I'd leave before it got busy. Food options limited; good selection of wine/champagne. Tried the AA lounge by A15 and was pleasantly surprised by size and nice views of the runway. Was worried that service would be surly if I didn't tip when using my "premium drink" vouchers, but I found staff quite congenial. Bonus was the guacamole bar, which was wonderful.

Return 22 April AA SEA - PHL arrived about 7:00 pm. BA lounge was packed (possibly with QR passengers?), so went straight to AA lounge. Again, friendly bar service, but no guac bar unfortunately. Returned to BA lounge and admitted with no issue (as was on BA flight PHL - LHR in CW), by which time it was quieter. Asked if I wanted to dine while in First section, only to be told (as expected) that dining was for First class passengers only. Went around the ropes and had a few tired bites from the buffet which had clearly seen better times. Ironically was beeped up to First at gate.
Old May 27, 2019, 1:27 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Platinum MM; DL Silver; IHG Diamond Ambassador; Hilton Gold; Marriott Gold
I was denied access today at the BA lounge at PHL as a oneworld Emerald flying an all-AA transatlantic business class itinerary connecting to an AA domestic flight in PHL. Ordinarily, I wouldn’t have
even bothered with the BA lounge (or the AAdmirals Club) because the AmEx Centurion Lounge upstairs is vastly superior in terms of food, drinks, and a shower, but the Centurion Lounge was filled to capacity.

By the looks of it, the BA lounge was sparsely populated.

How is the denial of admission on my itinerary not a violation of the oneworld lounge access rules? Here’s the published exception (emphasis mine):
American Airlines Airlines AAdvantage members, regardless of their tier status or class of travel, are not eligble for lounge access when travelling solely on North American flights within or between the U.S, Canada, Mexico (except Mexico City), the Bahamas, Bermuda and the Carribean.
https://www.oneworld.com/airport-lounges?location=

Does the word “solely” mean something different in British English?
Old May 27, 2019, 2:04 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: TK Elite Plus,BAEC GGL,ITA Executive, AFKL Gold,QR Gold,HH Diamond,Bonvoy Gold,ALL Gold
Originally Posted by SAT Lawyer
I was denied access today at the BA lounge at PHL as a oneworld Emerald flying an all-AA transatlantic business class itinerary connecting to an AA domestic flight in PHL. Ordinarily, I wouldn’t have
even bothered with the BA lounge (or the AAdmirals Club) because the AmEx Centurion Lounge upstairs is vastly superior in terms of food, drinks, and a shower, but the Centurion Lounge was filled to capacity.

By the looks of it, the BA lounge was sparsely populated.

How is the denial of admission on my itinerary not a violation of the oneworld lounge access rules? Here’s the published exception (emphasis mine):
American Airlines Airlines AAdvantage members, regardless of their tier status or class of travel, are not eligble for lounge access when travelling solely on North American flights within or between the U.S, Canada, Mexico (except Mexico City), the Bahamas, Bermuda and the Carribean.
https://www.oneworld.com/airport-lounges?location=

Does the word “solely” mean something different in British English?
If your domestic flight was going to depart at a similar time with any BA flights or the QR flight, you might have been rejected because of capacity reasons.
Old May 27, 2019, 2:30 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Mucci. Nothing else matters.
Originally Posted by SAT Lawyer
How is the denial of admission on my itinerary not a violation of the oneworld lounge access rules?
Perhaps because of this:-
    That is, after all, what much of the thread has been about since its inception, as you have no doubt seen from reading it.

It seems to be well established that this rule does not mean that the lounge can turn away people seeking admission under oneworld rules only when the lounge is already full. People seeking admission under oneworld rules may be turned away if the lounge anticipates that it will in due course get full with its primary intended audience (eg passengers actually flying on BA) without also admitting other people who would only qualify under oneworld rules.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.