Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Refused Lounge entry at PHL

Search this Thread

Old Jun 29, 2016, 3:12 am

Originally Posted by KARFA
Sorry if I have missed this information techie. How often do you travel on AA through PHL? Just wondering how much impact this would actually have on you?

From very recent experience (about two weeks ago) I can say the BA lounge is very small, and the offering in the GC is better than the AC lounges, so if there was unrestricted access to AA passengers the place would quickly be overcrowded. As a BA passenger at PHL I was grateful that a very pragmatic measure was enforced which ensure that doesn't happen.
The last time I was through PHL leaving on the AA728 at 20:45, I had no issue in getting access to the lounge. I was only in for literally 10 mins to grab a quick drink after the rigours of trying to make my GE interview from a late incoming flight!!
Old Jun 29, 2016, 3:16 am
Ambassador, British Airways; FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: BA GGL/CCR, GfL, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by strichener
The last time I was through PHL leaving on the AA728 at 20:45, I had no issue in getting access to the lounge. I was only in for literally 10 mins to grab a quick drink after the rigours of trying to make my GE interview from a late incoming flight!!
Well it was pretty full a few weeks ago when I was there so had you and even a small proportion of the rest of the AA passengers decided to avoid the poorer offering in the AC I suspect that it would be a poor result.
Old Jun 29, 2016, 3:21 am

Well it was pretty full a few weeks ago when I was there so had you and even a small proportion of the rest of the AA passengers decided to avoid the poorer offering in the AC I suspect that it would be a poor result.
I wasn't actually avoiding the poorer offering in the AC, I was actually making my way to the flight, passed the BA Lounge and decided to nip in.
Old Jun 29, 2016, 3:22 am
Ambassador, British Airways; FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: BA GGL/CCR, GfL, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by strichener
I wasn't actually avoiding the poorer offering in the AC, I was actually making my way to the flight, passed the BA Lounge and decided to nip in.
I am sure you were, but most wouldn't be.
Old Jun 29, 2016, 11:37 am

Programs: Delta Diamond, United 1K, BA Blue, Marriott Titanium, Hilton Gold, Amex Platinum
Originally Posted by Takiteasy
You sound like a very pleasant chap!
Thanks, my friends think so too ^
Originally Posted by golfmad
Oh dear. Apart from the fact that it's rude, disrespectful and wrong you run the risk of having to deal with airport security. In this day and age, that's really not something you want to be doing.
They are not going to call security, because it would be embarrassing for them and because their argument is already a weak one. At most, they would huff and puff and roll their eyes and tut "he is one of those" under their breath. I can live with that.
Originally Posted by LTN Phobia
I'd like to know where a lot of (misplaced) the sense of entitlement is coming from.

Maybe airlines are harming people with all the 'status' talk?

Perhaps we should recognise that with entitlements come obligations to be reasonable and live with what the rules say and that entitlements do not entitle us to be rude to others in any way?
It is a cynical world out there. Unless otherwise noted, if the only rule that BA are putting on their lounge is that it is subject to capacity and there are spare seats clearly available, I am going in. If BA are happy to shout from the rooftops about how certain tiers confer lounge access, I am only too happy to hold them to their word. BA want to attract customers to fly with them, but seems to not be a fan when those customers attain a tier that makes them eligible for access to the very lounge BA are using to attract other passengers as part of their service offering. Classic bait and switch.
Sorry if I have missed this information techie. How often do you travel on AA through PHL? Just wondering how much impact this would actually have on you?

From very recent experience (about two weeks ago) I can say the BA lounge is very small, and the offering in the GC is better than the AC lounges, so if there was unrestricted access to AA passengers the place would quickly be overcrowded. As a BA passenger at PHL I was grateful that a very pragmatic measure was enforced which ensure that doesn't happen.
I have transited PHL when flying on AA and BA numerous times in the past and will probably do so many times in the future. It is not my favourite airport -- due to experiences with immigration handling, but GE should take care of that going forward -- but combinations of scheduling and price do make it an attractive proposition at times when flying to/from my internal US destination that is not served by a non-stop UK service.

Personally, I never had issues with getting into BA's PHL lounge. And this includes during the hours preceding BA's flights. Maybe lucky, maybe not. However, I am still of the opinion that BAEC members whose tier allows them access to the lounge should not be treated as inferior to those who happen to be flying in a premium cabin on the day. Those AA road warriors and members of other OW FFPs? That is a different story. BA should put its FFP elites and premium pax first.
Old Jun 29, 2016, 11:44 am

Programs: BAEC Gold
They weren't saying anything about capacity last Friday. The reason a whole string of people (over a couple of hours) were refused entry was that 'the BA lounge is only available to international passengers'. Domestics have the use of the AA facilities.
Old Jun 29, 2016, 12:01 pm

Programs: I go wherever the content takes me.
Originally Posted by techie
Those AA road warriors and members of other OW FFPs? That is a different story. BA should put its FFP elites and premium pax first.
How does that square with your assertion that if the tier affords the benefit then by all means enter the "best" lounge? All OWE passengers have the benefit of getting into the PHL F lounge.
Old Jun 29, 2016, 12:09 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Mucci. Nothing else matters.
Then, if I see space in a given lounge, I find it perfectly reasonable to take my BP from the lounge dragon and proceed into the lounge.
Do you normally make a habit of barging into other people's premises on the strength of your own belief that you're entitled to enter, even when the person whose premises they are tells you that you're not and refuses to let you in?

Since when did you become the final arbiter of these decisions? Who appointed you?
Old Jun 29, 2016, 1:29 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP 1.7 M, Hilton Gold, Hertz 5*, AARP Sophomore, 14-time Croix de Candlestick
Surely, techie, you understand that the definition (interpetation) of "capacity" is wishy washy by intentional design?

I understand your objection on principle, but reality often differs from theory.
Old Jun 30, 2016, 8:49 am

Programs: Delta Diamond, United 1K, BA Blue, Marriott Titanium, Hilton Gold, Amex Platinum
Originally Posted by paul4040
How does that square with your assertion that if the tier affords the benefit then by all means enter the "best" lounge? All OWE passengers have the benefit of getting into the PHL F lounge.
They have, but I am not against BA prioritising members of its own FFP and premium cabin pax above those from other OW FFPs.
Originally Posted by Globaliser
Do you normally make a habit of barging into other people's premises on the strength of your own belief that you're entitled to enter, even when the person whose premises they are tells you that you're not and refuses to let you in?
Do I normally make a habit of going for something I believe I am reasonably eligible for? Yes. Hasn't gotten me into any trouble so far.
Originally Posted by Non-NonRev
Surely, techie, you understand that the definition (interpetation) of "capacity" is wishy washy by intentional design?
Surely, Non-NonRev, you understand that definition and interpretation of anything are often not one and the same. If BA are going to stretch it in their favour, I will do my utmost to follow suit.

Look folks, we are going around in circles and are going to have to agree to disagree. As I previously said, I never had an issue with that specific lounge or, for that matter, been denied entry to any lounge I am eligible to enter. I wish others the same fortune in their travels.
Old Jul 9, 2016, 5:00 pm

Programs: BA (GGL G4L), AA (Gold), HH (Diamond); Marriott (Gold)
Originally Posted by TravellerFrequently
I will be travelling through PHL next week onto an AA J TATL flight.

Will attempt the get into the BA F lounge but not be too offended if I am turned away.
fwiw, I decided to try this out today. No issues in being accepted, though I'm not sure if they said yes because I'm GGL or if Gold would have sufficed. They did ask me where my flight was leaving from (right near the lounge).
uu
That is a slippery slope though. BA lounge re-opens at 1500 while the first BA flight does not leave until 18:20. The 2nd BA flight leaves almost 4 hours later. This creates pockets of time when there are unlikely to be any BA pax in the lounge because they have either not yet arrived for their flight or the lounge emptied in time for the flight about to depart. At what point does the "capacity" excuse starts being banded around when the glass windows of that lounge clearly visualise its utilisation?
It perhaps helped that I arrived about 20 minutes after the first flight departed, and my flight departs more than an hour before the last BA flight.

I'm in the first area. It is a small lounge, though about 5-6X the size of PHX, and it has a first dining area. I'm not going to tempt fate and see if GGL gets access to first dining.
Old Jul 9, 2016, 10:59 pm

Programs: BA - Gold for Life, CCR & GGL; IC Spire Elite Ambassador; Diamond Hilton Honors; Hyatt Discoverist
I was warmly welcomed into the GF last week.

Enjoyed the snacks and champagne.

My AA flight departed before the second BA flight to LHR.
Old Jul 10, 2016, 1:55 am

Programs: BAEC Gold
Originally Posted by dylanks
I'm not going to tempt fate and see if GGL gets access to first dining.
They are ruthless in kicking people out (tho very politely) who aren't travelling First. I love the watching the range of reactions to this, funnily you can always tell the ones who are going to throw their toys out of the pram 😀
Old Jul 10, 2016, 3:46 am

Programs: BA (GGL G4L), AA (Gold), HH (Diamond); Marriott (Gold)
Originally Posted by LBP2
They are ruthless in kicking people out (tho very politely) who aren't travelling First. I love the watching the range of reactions to this, funnily you can always tell the ones who are going to throw their toys out of the pram 😀
They had the first dining section closed off or I might have been tempted to see if first dining was available for GGL/CCR. I realized after I left the lounge and walked by the BA aircraft that the second flight was a 788, hence no first dining at that hour.
Old Jan 18, 2018, 2:33 pm

Programs: BA GFL. AA EXP. Amex Plat. Mucci.
Refused Lounge Access at BA Galleries in PHL

I travelled through PHL last night on an AA flight to SJU (001 ticket stock and AA flight number). I have BA Gold, but the BA Galleries Lounge at PHL refused me access because they said I was not travelling to an international destination. The Lounge was fairly quiet (I was not refused on capacity grounds). This is the first time I have been refused at this lounge. Have the rules changed?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.