Wiki Posts
Search

Refused Lounge entry at PHL

Search this Thread

Old Jun 20, 2016, 12:12 am
formerly rxfleming

Programs: BA GGL, HHonors Diamond, Marriott Plat Elite
Originally Posted by PeacefulWaters
Although it does expediate the service received from the miserable barman in the Admirals Club (C gate I think) that we encountered last year.

The Sprite Lite was getting quite expensive during our four hour stay!
I'm good friends with the bar hosts at the PHL A and C gate lounges. They don't require you to tip. They are on ex-Delta contracts and have excellent salaries and benefits. They aren't college students working at a dive bar.

Please. Never feel obligated to tip anywhere in the United States. Especially in a lounge bar.
watersign likes this.
Old Jun 20, 2016, 12:18 am
sxc
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Accor Contributor Badge

Programs: CX Green, QF Platinum, BAEC Silver, Hyatt Glob
Originally Posted by rxfleming
Please. Never feel obligated to tip anywhere in the United States. Especially in a lounge bar.
Whenever I mention tipping "only" 15% in a restaurant, my American friends are horrified.
Old Jun 20, 2016, 3:19 am
Suspended

Programs: BA GGL, AA 1MM LT GLD, SPG PLAT, National Exec Selc, Hilton Diamond, Hyatt Plat, Marriott Silver
I'm good friends with the bar hosts at the PHL A and C gate lounges. They don't require you to tip. They are on ex-Delta contracts and have excellent salaries and benefits. They aren't college students working at a dive bar.

Assuming the lounge bar staff is on a normal salary then I agree with you that you shouldn't feel obligated.

But in general, US waitstaff make only a couple dollars an hour (less than half minimum wage) because of the cultural expectation of tipping. While not technically required, practically speaking you are obligated to tip bar and restaurant staff in the United States. The only exception is for bad service (and even then, most Americans leave 10% which in the United States is a clear signal that you were unhappy with the service).
Old Jun 20, 2016, 3:20 am
Suspended

Programs: BA GGL, AA 1MM LT GLD, SPG PLAT, National Exec Selc, Hilton Diamond, Hyatt Plat, Marriott Silver
Originally Posted by sxc
Whenever I mention tipping "only" 15% in a restaurant, my American friends are horrified.
Its very regional but in a major city, 15% is almost a signal of bad service. In rural/smaller towns, etc. especially in the South and Midwest, 15% is still normal for good service.
Old Jun 20, 2016, 3:26 am

Programs: COdbaUA 1K MM, AA EXP, Bonbon Gold, GHA Titanium, Hertz PC, NEXUS and GE
Shame on BA for refusing you access and shame on the Admirals Club drAAgons for not giving you drink chits. As a BA elite in any class, you are entitled to them. I think the problem is that the US lounge workers aren't as familiar. AA people are automatic with chits in chit situations.

Originally Posted by sts603
Its very regional but in a major city, 15% is almost a signal of bad service. In rural/smaller towns, etc. especially in the South and Midwest, 15% is still normal for good service.
No it isn't. 15% is the standard. It means you received adequate service. Tip creep isn't something to encourage.
watersign likes this.
Old Jun 20, 2016, 3:38 am

Please. Never feel obligated to tip anywhere in the United States.
I'm astonished by this. There are many places in the US where you would be chased out by waitstaff if you didn't tip. It's far from the optional reflection of good service that it is in some European countries.
Old Jun 20, 2016, 3:49 am

Programs: BAEC Silver, IHG Diamond
Originally Posted by windowontheAside
I'm astonished by this. There are many places in the US where you would be chased out by waitstaff if you didn't tip. It's far from the optional reflection of good service that it is in some European countries.
At least that saves paying the bill then

I've not tipped once as the waitress, who really couldn't be bothered, didn't deserve anything in my opinion. If the staff are putting no effort into their job whatsoever, regardless of what they're being paid, I'm not going to "reward" them with even a 10% tip.
Old Jun 20, 2016, 4:00 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by N1120A
Shame on BA for refusing you access and shame on the Admirals Club drAAgons for not giving you drink chits. As a BA elite in any class, you are entitled to them. I think the problem is that the US lounge workers aren't as familiar. AA people are automatic with chits in chit situations.

No it isn't. 15% is the standard. It means you received adequate service. Tip creep isn't something to encourage.
I can assure you that no one in Manhattan thinks that 15% is a standard tip any more. Your cheapskateness may not like it. But that is the reality.
Old Jun 20, 2016, 4:01 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by xenole
At least that saves paying the bill then

I've not tipped once as the waitress, who really couldn't be bothered, didn't deserve anything in my opinion. If the staff are putting no effort into their job whatsoever, regardless of what they're being paid, I'm not going to "reward" them with even a 10% tip.
I have also not tipped for truly bad service. And I think that's fine. 10% is a bit of a middle ground - bad service but not truly awful service. But I agree, if the service is terrible, it shouldn't be rewarded.
Old Jun 20, 2016, 4:02 am
Moderator, Hertz; FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor BadgeHyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: UA 1MM, BA GGL, Hyatt Glob, Hilton Diamond and others
Odd. I flew thru PHL a few times recently and had no issues accessing the BA F lounge when connecting from my BA to AA flight.
Old Jun 20, 2016, 4:07 am

Programs: BAEC Silver, IHG Diamond
I just went straight to the AA lounge last time I was through there.
Fine for the hour I was there and I had bagels and Philadelphia for breakfast (although having Philadelphia in PHL didn't occur to me at the time).
Usually better coffee machines as well.
Old Jun 20, 2016, 4:09 am

I have also not tipped for truly bad service. And I think that's fine. 10% is a bit of a middle ground - bad service but not truly awful service. But I agree, if the service is terrible, it shouldn't be rewarded.
What? A tip is a reward for service, why use some internal tip scale to show a degree of displeasure that only you understand. In my book good service = tip, anything less = no tip.
Old Jun 20, 2016, 4:10 am

I can assure you that no one in Manhattan thinks that 15% is a standard tip any more. Your cheapskateness may not like it. But that is the reality.
If someone in Manhattan is not happy with a tip level, they are free to refuse it.
Old Jun 20, 2016, 4:37 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by strichener
What? A tip is a reward for service, why use some internal tip scale to show a degree of displeasure that only you understand. In my book good service = tip, anything less = no tip.
I assume you are not an American. You shouldn't try to apply logic from other cultures to the tipping culture in the US. You should respect the tipping culture that is present in the US or wherever you are for that matter.
Old Jun 20, 2016, 4:43 am
Moderator: British Airways Executive Club, Marriott Bonvoy

Programs: SPG LT Plat, BA G, BD*LG, MG Blue+ ...
Originally Posted by N1120A
Tip creep
Thread creep too.

Folks, This thread is NOT the place for general discussions on tipping culture. Please stay on topic.

/mod

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.