Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

Trip Report: Billund To Humberside, on the Sun Air/BA D328

Old Jun 14, 2016, 10:39 am
Original Poster

Programs: BAEC

A few weekends ago I decided to take the new British Airways, operated by franchisee Sun Air (EZ), flight from Billund to Humberside in Lincolnshire, via Aalborg. This new route started in April, running a triangle BLL-AAL-HUY-BLL on Friday evenings, and BLL-HUY-AAL-BLL on Sundays. I believe this service is underwritten by Siemens to bring UK staff over to Aalborg for the working week. As Sun Airs hub is in Billund, it operates as a triangle, with the BLL-AAL-BLL flights not available for individual purchase, and often being empty.

To get to Billund, I took the long standing EZ flight from LCY. BA (mainline) have also recently launched LHR-BLL flights, so it will be interesting to see how long the LCY services remain. Joining me for the weekend was fellow FTer jwhite9185, who took the LHR-BLL service.

My route, courtesy of gcmap.com

Check in was a bit slow, as I was trying to get my bag tagged through to HUY. After many attempts to print a through tag, they said it was only possible to send it to BLL, and Id have to collect it and recheck it there. There were able to print me a BLL-HUY boarding pass through. For some reason, OLCI would not work on that sector.

Security was very slow, despite the low number of passengers in the hall. There was one manned empty scanner (fast track? I didnt see any signs), and one with all the passengers, which was so backed up with bags needing hand searching, that no new bags could go through the scanner. It was a poor show, and one guy said he had been waiting for 25 minutes to have his bag looked at.

LCY Big Players: BA Cityflyer and Cityjet

After the delays at check in and security, I was only in the departure lounge for 5 minutes before a gate was announced. There is some extensive extension work going on, making the corridors a lot colder and noisier than normal.

I was expecting a bit of a wait at the gate, but I was immediately directed out to the aircraft where there were already a couple of people onboard.

The Dornier makes a nice change to Airbus and Boeing

Good forward views from row 2. The door would be kept open most of the flight, and there was someone on the jump seat (I guess friend of the crew, as the cabin was only around 50% full).

Seat 2A

Waiting for an inbound Avro to clear the runway, then off we went, 3 minutes early

Dornier Jet today. The prop version used to be used into LCY

Interestingly, the BA mainline BLL services were being advertised in the Sun Air magazine. Seems like they think theres room for both BA and EZ to BLL. EZ didnt last too long on the LCY-HAM route before it was taken over by BA Cityflyer.

Before breakfast, the single crew member came through with a tray of water and juice.

Breakfast today was quite lacklustre; a yoghurt, cold piece of bread, pot of jam, slice of cheese, butter and cream cheese. More bread was offered from the bread basket later, along with tea and coffee. Some cold cuts wouldnt have gone amiss.

Not much happened during the flight, and before long we were descending into a very warm and sunny Billund.

My friend managed to get a photo as we approached.

The walk from the plane to immigration was a long one, taking in the entire length of the terminal. By the time I got to baggage reclaim, my bag was just being delivered.

I picked up my bag, and headed to the check in desks where I was meeting Mr. jwhite9185. Before he arrived, I had time to have my bag tagged to HUY, and be given a proper printed boarding pass. The agent mentioned (once I had convinced her that there was indeed a flight to HUY) that we were the only two booked on the flight.

Fast track was one of those that just filters you into the front of the normal queue, which was a bit awkward. After a quick perusal of the duty free, we headed for the King Amlet lounge, guarded by King Amlet himself.

A nice little airport model in the lounge

The lounge wasnt too busy, and seating was spacious. F&B was reasonable, with some tasty pain au chocolate, as well as a decent DIY sandwich station. Wine and beer is self-serve, whilst harder stuff is on demand behind the counter.

Humberside, via Aalb

Heading down to the gate, we noticed the smallest plane in BA livery (OY-SVB, Jetstream 32) well parked blocking in this DAT A320 What wouldve happened of the brakes had jammed on the Jetstream or something? Seems a bizarre place to park given the massive amount of ramp space available.

The gate for our private flight

The Humberside Airport website advertising the new flight

This afternoons flight was another D328 Jet

With just two passengers, we were seated and belted in very quickly. The very affable captain cabin into the cabin, and said that hed feel stupid using the PA system for just two of us, so decided to explain the flight in person. Details included the altitude, and the fact that it was fully booked ex-AAL, with one person in the jump seat. In retrospect we should have taken the initiative and asked to have a go in the jump seat Ive got a suspicion that hed have said yes. Our cabin crew was also the one who had been at Sun Air the longest! (So most experienced I guess, with seniority #1!).

He left the door open the entire flight.

Service was a bottle of water only, but sufficient on a 20 minute hop on a baking hot day

Nice and peaceful!

A peek into the flight deck before descent

Gorgeous day for flying

Our ground stop time in AAL was around 20 minutes, enough time for the captain to go for a stroll and have a chat to the crew on the neighbouring Jetsream, and for the 30 odd new HUY bound pax to join us.

Ground crew feeling the heat

The jump seat passenger ready to go. Most of the other passengers knew each other (I guess from working together during the week), and the jump seater was certainly NOT Sun Air staff. Damn, I really shouldve tried to sit there!

The friendly northern banter of the other passengers was certainly quite different from the normal DYKWIA road warriors you hear on the LHR services! Lots of infrequent flyers, and few accustomed to free water, let alone EZ levels of service.

Over Aalborg City

Service started with a proper bar service this time. A full can of Coke Zero and a Bacardi, perfect for me, even better than Club Europe, plus water and pretzels.

This was followed by a meal tray with peppered salmon, an apple salad thing, crackers, bread and cheese. It was ok, but maybe EZ should tailor their catering more to English palates rather than Danish ones on routes where most people will be English.

Next was tea/coffee, plus a choice of Danish ice cream.

At the top of descent, there was a final quite bar round for those in need.

A greener approach than flying into LHR

We touched down early, and were soon inside the tiny terminal. Immigration was not very fast, but was friendly. Baggage delivery was swift.

The check in area

And the plane with some local info, taken from the bus stop

My friend and I had decided to night stop in Hull that evening, the other options being returning straight back down south, or going to Grimsby or S....horpe. The bus cost a fiver

I put myself up at the lovely Ibis Hull, which was perfectly acceptable for the night. I used a free hotels.com reward night, so only paid a few pounds.

I was pleased to discover that Hull is a fairly nice town pretty little marina, and some excellent free museums. Hull is UK City of Culture 2017 after all!

At the Maritime Museum

And the excellent Transport Museum

After a good night out (at Northern prices!), and a pleasant museum morning, followed by fish and chips, it was onto the direct Hull Trains service to Kings Cross.

Great legroom in standard!

So all in all, it was a pleasant little trip. I might actually try and fly it again later in the summer, on a (probably) empty return leg (HUY-BLL) for another private jet experience, with the possibility of a jumpseat!
Old Jun 14, 2016, 10:56 am

Nice

Really enjoyed this trip report. Always a treat when it's an unusual combination.
Thanks for posting
Old Jun 14, 2016, 11:27 am

Programs: BA Gold, *A Gold, IHG Platinum
Nice read as ever... Good to see it from another perspective! Really should get my report posted.
Old Jun 14, 2016, 11:29 am

Programs: Finnair Gold, Lufthansa FTL, FlyingBlue Silver
Hi ShefGab,

Nice report about this new service!
And for sure a very unusual route to take. The food ex LCY indeed looked a bit bland as for the premium Sun Air charges, there could be a bit more on offer.

Thanks a lot for sharing!
Old Jun 14, 2016, 11:36 am

Programs: BA silver,
Shame about the food ex-LCY. The meals on the Sun-Air flights from CBG to GOT were surprisingly good - better than BA CE.
Old Jun 14, 2016, 12:44 pm
Ambassador, British Airways; FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: BA GGL/CCR, GfL, HH Diamond
Nice TR, I enjoyed reading this one. I will be doing the HUY-BLL return in July so interesting to see a report. Will have to try and snag that jump seat if it seems a passenger can sit there
Old Jun 14, 2016, 1:10 pm
Moderator, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges, and Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold; Flying Blue Life Platinum; LH Sen.; Hilton Diamond; Kemal Kebabs Prized Customer
Thanks for this report. My flight on this service was also informal, to say the least!
Old Jun 14, 2016, 1:13 pm

Programs: BA - Silver,Hilton-Diamond, IHG - PlatAmb, GHA - Plat
Nice Trip report ShefGab, never heard Hull described as nice before
Old Jun 14, 2016, 1:15 pm

Programs: Ex-BA/AA/CP/LY staff, BA Executive Club Blue, IHG Diamond, Marriott Silver, Chick-fil-A Red
Originally Posted by shefgab
Good forward views from row 2. The door would be kept open most of the flight, and there was someone on the jump seat (I guess friend of the crew, as the cabin was only around 50% full).
That must have got cold and windy!

Great report, thanks for sharing. Good to see the quaint service and airports. I loved sitting on the flightdeck in flight when it was possible on mainline...
Old Jun 14, 2016, 1:27 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Nice report ^
Old Jun 14, 2016, 1:39 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Gold/OWE, several MUCCI, and assorted Pensions!
Thanks! Refreshingly different, although the 'lacklustre' breakfast out of LCY was more like 'Are you having a larf?"
Old Jun 14, 2016, 2:48 pm
Original Poster

Programs: BAEC
Thanks for all the comments!

Originally Posted by bmiStar
Really enjoyed this trip report. Always a treat when it's an unusual combination.
Thanks for posting
Glad you enjoyed it!

Originally Posted by jwhite9185
Nice read as ever... Good to see it from another perspective! Really should get my report posted.
Yes, would be nice to see yours too

Originally Posted by Luxair747SP
Nice report about this new service!
And for sure a very unusual route to take. The food ex LCY indeed looked a bit bland as for the premium Sun Air charges, there could be a bit more on offer.
Originally Posted by rjhcambs
Shame about the food ex-LCY. The meals on the Sun-Air flights from CBG to GOT were surprisingly good - better than BA CE.
Originally Posted by T8191
Thanks! Refreshingly different, although the 'lacklustre' breakfast out of LCY was more like 'Are you having a larf?"
Yeah, the catering wasn't up to much for breakfast. Dinner was much better, I guess if nothing else but for the drinks! Forgot to mention there was also a round of digestives (Baileys etc) after the meal.

Originally Posted by KARFA
Nice TR, I enjoyed reading this one. I will be doing the HUY-BLL return in July so interesting to see a report. Will have to try and snag that jump seat if it seems a passenger can sit there
Yes, try for the jump seat, and please report back!

Originally Posted by corporate-wage-slave
Thanks for this report. My flight on this service was also informal, to say the least!
I guess the crew here have a little more license to be casual!

Originally Posted by atmorris
Trust me, there are plenty of places much worse than Hull!

Originally Posted by JAXBA
That must have got cold and windy!
Haha, well there was a curtain over the doorway!

Originally Posted by Calchas
Nice report ^
Thanks!
Old Jun 14, 2016, 3:31 pm

Programs: Mucci, BA Bronze, Hilton Gold
SunAir is on my list of airlines to try! And thanks to your TR I want to try more!
Old Jun 14, 2016, 4:30 pm

Very good TR. Nice to read something different. I always thought places like Billund were places you sent the mother in law
Old Jun 14, 2016, 6:08 pm

Programs: OW Saphire, Club Carlson Gold
Originally Posted by atmorris
I look forward to my trips to Hull these days. Some excellent places to eat in "Avenues" area with decent upmarket bars to boot.

Marina area is very pleasant as stated by the OP.

Careful people WILL talk to you on public transport - its normal up there, they are not mad.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.