Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Is my flight "Sleeper Service"?

Search this Thread

Old Jun 14, 2016, 10:18 am
Original Poster

Is my flight "Sleeper Service"?

I am taking a cruise on Regent Seven Seas in October which includes business class airfare. They chose our flights for us. Our flight schedule includes flight BA066 PHL to LHR departing at 6:20 PM and arriving at 7:50 AM in Club World. I am concerned that this flight may be part of BA's sleeper service program. However, I do not see anything in my reservation to indicate this. A phone call to BA was unhelpful- the agent told me they were unable to answer my question and I'd have to wait until actually at the airport to find out
Old Jun 14, 2016, 10:22 am

Programs: I go wherever the content takes me.
http://www.britishairways.com/travel/club-sleeper-service/public/en_gb

It is a sleeper service flight.
Old Jun 14, 2016, 10:22 am

Sleeper service routes: http://www.britishairways.com/travel...e/public/en_gb

BA066 is indeed a sleeper service.
Old Jun 14, 2016, 10:23 am
Original Poster

This is so disappointing. I'd hoped since 6:20PM is quite early evening that it wouldn't qualify.
Old Jun 14, 2016, 10:28 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Mucci des Hommes Magiques et Magnifiques
Why are you disappointed what are you looking for from your flight?
Old Jun 14, 2016, 10:28 am

Originally Posted by Layell
This is so disappointing. I'd hoped since 6:20PM is quite early evening that it wouldn't qualify.
Why is it disappointing? Its a very short hop over the Atlantic - any time to maximise sleep should be grabbed with open arms (in my opinion)
Old Jun 14, 2016, 10:31 am

I would have thought the same two years ago. In reality, you'll need the sleep. It's only about 6.5 hours' flying time.
Old Jun 14, 2016, 10:35 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Can I help you
This will be my first time traveling international business class and I was excited to enjoy all the features it had to offer including traditional meal service. To discover my flight will be an abridged service with fewer amenities is disappointing.
bmibaby737 likes this.
Old Jun 14, 2016, 10:38 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Gold / VS /IHG Diamond & Ambassador
What are you worried about?

That they won't serve you dinner or drinks? (though it will be more like supper than dinner) or that you'll not be able to watch the IFE?

You can still eat and watch a film. No one will force you to go to sleep.
Old Jun 14, 2016, 10:39 am

Programs: AA, BAEC Gold
Originally Posted by Can I help you
I have grown to like the late evening flights because you can eat beforehand, digest the meal, and go to sleep asap. You also arrive at a time when your body has begun to wake up.

I don't know which I would prefer on a 6 p.m. flight anymore. It's too early to sleep and too late to eat if you want to sleep later. It's only good for those business travellers who want a full day at each end and need no sleep!

I assume that OP was hoping for a full meal service, which tends not to happen on sleeper services.
Old Jun 14, 2016, 10:39 am

Programs: BA Gold (ex-GGL, maybe future Silver), Hilton Diamond
Honestly, the greatest possible amenity on a business class flight is sleep and the flat bed seat. The sleeper service allows you to make the most of that.

The food is good for airplane food, but it's not top restaurant quality, and it's not really that luxurious ... but it's OK, because you'll be asleep and you'll feel much better for it the next day.

Basically, if everyone in economy is riding a school bus for eight hours, comparatively you're sleeping in a Motel6. As such, even though it's a huge step up, it's not an experience you want to maximize for its own sake.
Old Jun 14, 2016, 10:40 am

This will be my first time traveling international business class and I was excited to enjoy all the features it had to offer including traditional meal service. To discover my flight will be an abridged service with fewer amenities is disappointing.
I believe there is pre flight dining at the lounge in PHL, so you won't go hungry.
Old Jun 14, 2016, 10:41 am

The 'traditional meal service' is nothing to write home about (BA's food quality is poor versus competition) so you are not missing much. Should you wish to eat, a light meal is served if you want it, and drinks service is available. You will be able to watch the pixelated postage stamp of an IFE system as you wish.
Old Jun 14, 2016, 10:42 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by MADPhil
I don't know which I would prefer on a 6 p.m. flight anymore. It's too early to sleep and too late to eat if you want to sleep later. It's only good for those business travellers who want a full day at each end and need no sleep!

I assume that OP was hoping for a full meal service, which tends not to happen on sleeper services.
Bingo. This is vacation, not a business trip. I was looking forward to all the bells and whistles. I know a meal will be available in the lounge pre-flight, but to me it's not the same. And it's way earlier than I like to eat.
Old Jun 14, 2016, 10:58 am

Programs: AA, BAEC Gold
Bingo. This is vacation, not a business trip. I was looking forward to all the bells and whistles. I know a meal will be available in the lounge pre-flight, but to me it's not the same. And it's way earlier than I like to eat.
On the other hand you are about to face a major disruption in meal times anyway! On the later flights my preference is to eat in the lounge, skip onboard meals, and shower and eat breakfast after landing. I prefer to use the arrivals lounge, which does a good breakfast, but if you have an onward BA flight then the airside lounges aren't too bad.

If you are in a position to start making the time adjustment before you leave then you might find that it works out.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.