Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

FAQ: Same Day Changes (SDC) and Free Change on the Day (FCOD) on BA tickets

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Nov 17, 2019, 2:13 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: Prospero
Same Day Change (SDC) is known as Free Change on the Day (FCOD) within BA. It is available on Plus and CE revenue tickets, single and return, so long as they are not complicated. It is not available on Avios tickets, redemption tickets issued to other frequent flyer schemes, to open jaw tickets, on carriage (tickets with connections) or any other sort of complexity. Also previously changing a ticket with SDC (FCOD) may make it ineligible for SDC, for example if it now becomes open jaw.

You can change the ticket online, via the Contact Centre or at the airport, but see the thread for details and experiences. You can change only after local midnight - up to one hour before departure - for the leg concerned, and only on to another flight on the same route, you can't switch arrival or departure airport at all. If you want to switch a LHR-NCE to LGW-NCE you would have to pay the fare difference and change fee, though in that example it wouldn't necessarily be a huge cost. If there is bad weather or operational problems BA may allow SDC/FCOD anyway, and that does allow a change to airports.
Print Wikipost

FAQ: Same Day Changes (SDC) and Free Change on the Day (FCOD) on BA tickets

Search this Thread

Old Feb 20, 2019, 8:11 am

Originally Posted by corporate-wage-slave
If it's a point to point ticket with no other unstated complexities it probably does have SDC. The formal answer is to find out the fare basis and see if that is the same fare basis as a public BA.com fare. On the day, it may work for SDC via BA.com (but maybe not via the App) but otherwise, just call on the day, they'll soon tell you if you can't do it.
What is fare basis, is that the same as fare class? My tickets are class I, which is same class (and was same price) as the ones on Ba.com
Old Feb 20, 2019, 8:24 am
Moderator, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges, and Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold; Flying Blue Life Platinum; LH Sen.; Hilton Diamond; Kemal Kebabs Prized Customer
Originally Posted by Flying12345
What is fare basis, is that the same as fare class? My tickets are class I, which is same class (and was same price) as the ones on Ba.com
Since Amex don't do specials in CE as far as I know, except perhaps for corporate customers, then it's probably the same as BA.com and thus SDC. Fare basis is the set of ticketing rules that apply to your fare. It will be something like IV2RO or some such. Fare class isn't particularly useful with SDC.
Old Feb 20, 2019, 11:50 am

Programs: BA GGL & GfL, AA LTP, Marriott (sigh) Ambassador, Hilton Diamond
learned something today.

so im used to AA same day flight change which is fab. but on BA today i needed to push back an avios flight--and there were other options. but online didnt help so called. it was fine but she noted it was only because i am GGL that the change to the later avios-available flight was free. ive never done this on BA but is this the norm for same day changes?
Old Feb 20, 2019, 11:57 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Mucci. Nothing else matters.
Originally Posted by VSLover
... is this the norm for same day changes?
The contractual free same day change only applies to Plus tickets, which are by definition cash tickets; it doesn't apply to award tickets. Normally, Avios tickets are non-changeable if it's less than 24 hours before the flight. So it sounds like a concession was made for you.
Old Feb 20, 2019, 12:05 pm
Moderator, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges, and Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold; Flying Blue Life Platinum; LH Sen.; Hilton Diamond; Kemal Kebabs Prized Customer
Originally Posted by VSLover
l it was fine but she noted it was only because i am GGL that the change to the later avios-available flight was free. ive never done this on BA but is this the norm for same day changes?
It is not quite the same things. OK, it's something completely different! SDC - and the contents of this thread - is only for revenue tickets.

Avios changes for GGL is best covered in the GGL thread, but yes GGL and Prems get free Avios changes, no-one else does. In theory doing a change on the day of travel for Avios can't happen but sometimes nice stuff happens. At LHR it can be changed for a £60 fee if there is Avios availability, but that's a local policy.
Old Feb 20, 2019, 12:31 pm

Another instance of SDC “dropping off” the fare rules today, requiring a friendly reminder to the ticketing lady to look a bit deeper.
Old Feb 22, 2019, 10:39 am

Programs: Honors Diamond
Apologies in advance because I know that the answer is probably in this thread somewhere but can't find it.

Firstly, I am looking at London to Edinburgh flights. BA.com lists the fare types as Economy (Hand baggage only), Economy (checked baggage) for the LCY flights, rather than Basic and Plus which it does for LHR and LGW.

I'm assuming that Economy (checked baggage), Economy (plus) and Business will all deliver me a ticket with SDC?

Secondly I'm assuming POUG removes the ability to use SDC? But that a fare difference upgrade would not?

Thanks
Old Feb 22, 2019, 1:02 pm

Originally Posted by lcylocal
I'm assuming that Economy (checked baggage), Economy (plus) and Business will all deliver me a ticket with SDC?

Secondly I'm assuming POUG removes the ability to use SDC? But that a fare difference upgrade would not?
Correct in both respects, so long as it is purely EDI-LCY and nothing else added on. I think it shows SDC on the screen showing the change conditions. If it's a corporate fare there may be other factors involved. And yes a fare difference should be OK for SDC, POUG is a bad idea for SDC purposes, AUP after you end up on your final flight arrangement is OK and on at least one occasion I have been offered an AppUpgrade after checking in for a flight I have previously SDC'd for. However note that LCY-EDI doesn't offer AUP at all.
lcylocal likes this.
Old Feb 22, 2019, 2:43 pm

Programs: HiltonH. Gold Starwood Gold BA BLUES! Mucci.
Does the booking class change if it is not available on the alternative flight?
i.e would an O class ticket change to an M for example? Or would it re-book in O ?
Old Feb 22, 2019, 3:24 pm

Programs: BAEC Silver, TK Gold, Eurostar CB, FB Explorer
Originally Posted by Skipcool3
Does the booking class change if it is not available on the alternative flight?
i.e would an O class ticket change to an M for example? Or would it re-book in O ?
Yes. It's an unexpected benefit when it happens. Probably shouldn't, but BA IT...
Old Mar 2, 2019, 4:04 am

Programs: BA Gold
Another data point on this, my travelling companion was today able to SDC a ticket which had previously been POUG’d - the fare rules in MMB had correctly updated to show the free change being possible. Wouldn’t work on the app, but the desk agent processed it no problem.

I also made a SDC on the app after already checking in for the original flight. I didn’t think this was possible either until I tried it and was surprised that it worked!
Tobias-UK likes this.
Old Mar 6, 2019, 7:33 am

Programs: Honors Diamond
Originally Posted by corporate-wage-slave
Correct in both respects, so long as it is purely EDI-LCY and nothing else added on. I think it shows SDC on the screen showing the change conditions. If it's a corporate fare there may be other factors involved. And yes a fare difference should be OK for SDC, POUG is a bad idea for SDC purposes, AUP after you end up on your final flight arrangement is OK and on at least one occasion I have been offered an AppUpgrade after checking in for a flight I have previously SDC'd for. However note that LCY-EDI doesn't offer AUP at all.
Some feedback on this. Short version, it worked as described above. Thank you.

Longer version: I booked both ways as Economy Plus tickets and then called within 24 hours to change them to Club moving the bookings to I class in one direction and R in the other.

I had to call to make both changes as both app and website would not work. On the way out the flight was showing as J1 at Midnight on the day, so Skype-d the USA number and got connected to the India call centre. Agent blocked the inventory and then had to call me back - but it re-ticketed in about 20 mins. On the way back the flight was still showing as D5 the evening before so called on the morning of the flight. Agent knew what I was asking for but still would need to call me back. Again got the call back around 20 minutes later, but this time to say that they were having system issues that meant they couldn’t revalidate the ticket. Agent promised it would be done in next couple of hours and I would get another call back. In the event it took more like 3 hours for the new e-ticket email to appear and no call back. But it all worked in the end.

Borh flights have credited to BAEC at the lowest booking class on sale on the day - so J and D in my case and a welcome extra 1,000 Avios. Having said that I wouldn’t say this is worth the effort just on the off-chance you can generate additional Avios.

Incidentally the flight back from Edinburgh to City is one of the best short haul flights I’ve had. Lightly loaded throughout so we had the attention of a very good senior cabin crew member all the way through the flight including 3 offers of drinks. 5 passengers in a Club cabin back to row 5, so lots of space. And on the ground at City 15 mins early and luggage on the belt 5 mins later.
Old Mar 9, 2019, 3:34 pm

Programs: BA Silver, SAS Diamond and LTG, Marriott Titanium and LT Plat, Radisson Premium
On Thursday I ran into some unexpected traffic on the Autobahn going to FRA, and for a while it looked like I might miss the bag drop at T-45 (this being a rare instance where I was not HBO). There was still availability on the flight an hour later, so I decided to make use of SDC on my CE ticket back to LHR. However, I’d of course already checked in on my original flight, so needed to call the gold line to be offloaded first.

Due to some faffing about with my phone and a bit of a wait, I did not get through to an agent until around T-63. Despite the cutoff officially being an hour before, the agent insisted that there was nothing she could do, since it was “too late” and the ticket was now under airport control, so I would have to get the ticket changed there. When she was done arguing with me, it was T-61 and HUACA was of course pointless. She said she would put some notes in my PNR and assured me they would be able to get me on the later flight when I got to FRA.

Now, as luck would have it, the traffic cleared, and I was able to drop my bag at T-48 or so - so I never got to test this out, and I was happy that I’d stayed on my original flight. But I’m still curious about this incident - was the agent really correct that she couldn’t offload me and change my booking, and would the desk at FRA have been able and willing to rebook me if I were to turn up at, say, T-30?
Old Mar 20, 2019, 11:07 am

Programs: QF, TK, VA, SQ
I have a quick one on same day changes- I've started reading the thread but not sure if the answer's somewhere in the depths of it --
Can you make a same day change for *some* pax on a booking, but not others?

i.e. if there are 4 of us booked onto the last flight of the day, but 2 need to fly earlier, is this possible, or does this break things?

Thanks very much in advance.
Old Mar 20, 2019, 12:27 pm

Originally Posted by pythonisman
I have a quick one on same day changes- I've started reading the thread but not sure if the answer's somewhere in the depths of it --
Can you make a same day change for *some* pax on a booking, but not others?

i.e. if there are 4 of us booked onto the last flight of the day, but 2 need to fly earlier, is this possible, or does this break things?

Thanks very much in advance.
What you need to do is first split the booking, by calling up. This is easy to do, and you can do this in advance, for example after the outbound if this is a return ticket. There is a risk that the App online change may not work, since mucking around with a ticket tends to lead to keywords dropping off. That's fixable, but may prevent a fully online SDC. Alternatively if you do it at the airport you don't need to do anything in advance, the ticketing agent can do it for you.
pythonisman likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.