Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

FAQ: Same Day Changes (SDC) and Free Change on the Day (FCOD) on BA tickets

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Nov 17, 2019, 2:13 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: Prospero
Same Day Change (SDC) is known as Free Change on the Day (FCOD) within BA. It is available on Plus and CE revenue tickets, single and return, so long as they are not complicated. It is not available on Avios tickets, redemption tickets issued to other frequent flyer schemes, to open jaw tickets, on carriage (tickets with connections) or any other sort of complexity. Also previously changing a ticket with SDC (FCOD) may make it ineligible for SDC, for example if it now becomes open jaw.

You can change the ticket online, via the Contact Centre or at the airport, but see the thread for details and experiences. You can change only after local midnight - up to one hour before departure - for the leg concerned, and only on to another flight on the same route, you can't switch arrival or departure airport at all. If you want to switch a LHR-NCE to LGW-NCE you would have to pay the fare difference and change fee, though in that example it wouldn't necessarily be a huge cost. If there is bad weather or operational problems BA may allow SDC/FCOD anyway, and that does allow a change to airports.
Print Wikipost

FAQ: Same Day Changes (SDC) and Free Change on the Day (FCOD) on BA tickets

Search this Thread

Old Mar 30, 2018, 4:31 pm

Originally Posted by ThatT1Feeling
So I have another question on same-day changes for free. I appreciate it may not be answerable.

Is every non-HBO fare a plus fare? Basically, I book all of my work flights through our corporate TA portal and am usually faced with 3 options; HBO, Plus and our corporate negotiated fare which permits a bag.

I've never been refused a same-day change for free so I am assuming that our corporate fare is effectively also a plus fare - does that seem sensible??
I would say in theory yes if it is a shorthaul baggage fare it should have free change on the day, but i have known deal/bulk tickets have different rules and/or further restrictions. However the differences ive seen werent to do with free change on the day.
ThatT1Feeling likes this.
Old Mar 30, 2018, 4:56 pm

Programs: BA Gold, Priority Club Gold, Accor Silver, Virgin Australia Gold
Have tried twice for SDC ..one ex CPH in Y and one ex FRA in I. BA not able to accommodate in both requests...citing full cabins on the next flight. Yes I was ex EU and trying to return to UK on earlier flight. Still they did try...I think!!
Old Mar 30, 2018, 5:13 pm

Programs: BA Gold, HHonors Gold, Hyatt Globalist, IHG Diamond, Marriott Gold, Radisson Gold, Wyndham Gold
If you do a SDC and the booking class changes do you get the higher (or lower) TP of the new class - or does SDC always rebook you into the same fare bucket?
Old Mar 30, 2018, 5:16 pm

Programs: BAEC Silver; Hilton Diamond;a miscellany of other hotel non-statuses
Originally Posted by antuk
If you do a SDC and the booking class changes do you get the higher (or lower) TP of the new class - or does SDC always rebook you into the same fare bucket?
IME you get the same TP as per original booking class.

In the similar circumstance of IRROP forced rebooking into same cabin I've had the higher TP awarded, but not sure if that always happens.
Old Mar 30, 2018, 11:54 pm
Moderator, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges, and Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold; Flying Blue Life Platinum; LH Sen.; Hilton Diamond; Kemal Kebabs Prized Customer
Just a note in here for anyone doing an SDC airside in LHR T5 to domestic destinations or DUB. Before making any change take a copy of your App boarding pass for the original flight (Screen Save / Shot will do), or retain at least the barcode section of the original boarding pass. This is because SDC airside won't reliably transfer the biometrics to the new booking. However if you retain the original barcode you should then approach the gate of the new service about 30 minutes before departure, before boarding has started, explain that you think the biometrics are on the wrong boarding pass and invite the gate agent to check it is OK. It's far easier to do this than during main boarding and the agents will be grateful for your foresight. The agent will then read the biometrics on the old boarding pass, transfer the data to the new service and clear your boarding. It only takes a few seconds to sort out, so long as it is expected.

If you do the SDC landside, or your destination is outside the UK / Dublin, then the above does not apply.

In theory the same applies at LGW and Manchester since they too use biometrics, but I don't have any specific information on that.
ExpatExp likes this.
Old Mar 31, 2018, 7:28 am

Programs: BA Gold
On this subject...

Does anyone one have any experience of plus fares on connecting flights?? Flying my parents NCL-LHR-MUC, would I be able to change them to earlier flights on the day if it suits??

Thanks again!
Old Mar 31, 2018, 7:54 am
Ambassador, British Airways; FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: BA GGL/CCR, GfL, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by Trent900Powered
On this subject...

Does anyone one have any experience of plus fares on connecting flights?? Flying my parents NCL-LHR-MUC, would I be able to change them to earlier flights on the day if it suits??

Thanks again!
plus fares, and indeed basic fares, are not offered for connecting flights

EDIT: to add you are offered “economy plus” only as the economy option and I do not believe this includes SDC
Old Mar 31, 2018, 7:59 am

Programs: BA Gold
Originally Posted by KARFA

plus fares, and indeed basic fares, are not offered for connecting flights

EDIT: to add you are offered “economy plus” only as the economy option and I do not believe this includes SDC
Ah, that explains it. Thanks for clearing that up!
Old Apr 12, 2018, 11:26 am

Programs: BA silver
quick comment on our experience this morning using SDC at DUB, in both the App & ba.com, it offered free SDC as expected to other BA operated LHR flights today, *but* only for my wife and not me, despite selecting both of us in the earlier step. A very quick call to BAEC silver line had us both changed to the earlier flight; and as a bonus, when we checked in through the app, it allocated us exit row seats
rockflyertalk likes this.
Old Apr 13, 2018, 4:38 am

Programs: BAEC Bronze, Avis Preferred, Hilton Honors Silver
I'm looking at positioning back from AMS on a plus fare (after a AMS-BKK INCEU60). Ideally I'd like to fly AMS-LHR mid-afternoon, but the cheapest flights are late evening. If I book the late evening flights is there a high chance there will be availability to same day change to an earlier flight? It's a Monday afternoon, if that makes any difference.
Old Apr 13, 2018, 5:25 am
Moderator, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges, and Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold; Flying Blue Life Platinum; LH Sen.; Hilton Diamond; Kemal Kebabs Prized Customer
Originally Posted by jimbobjamest
I'm looking at positioning back from AMS on a plus fare (after a AMS-BKK INCEU60). Ideally I'd like to fly AMS-LHR mid-afternoon, but the cheapest flights are late evening. If I book the late evening flights is there a high chance there will be availability to same day change to an earlier flight? It's a Monday afternoon, if that makes any difference.
Generally yes, but of course that's entirely dependent on how things go so we are into crystal ball territory. One cancelled flight (even on KLM) could block out all seats. So the best way to handle this is to go for a flght that could surely make but no totally rely on SDC to help you out, it would just be a bonus.
jimbobjamest likes this.
Old Apr 13, 2018, 5:41 am

Originally Posted by corporate-wage-slave
Generally yes, but of course that's entirely dependent on how things go so we are into crystal ball territory. One cancelled flight (even on KLM) could block out all seats. So the best way to handle this is to go for a flght that could surely make but no totally rely on SDC to help you out, it would just be a bonus.
Thanks CWS. It wouldn't be a disaster to waste 9 hours in Amsterdam but, as you say, getting an earlier flight would be a bonus - especially after a red-eye back from HKG via LHR!
Old Apr 13, 2018, 5:44 am

AMS can be busy of course. Looking at today's flights on Expert Flyer they are all zeroed out in J and Y, which matches what BA.com is showing. Next Mon is also very busy, except with Y9 / Y3 / Y1 on the 14h55 / 16h10 / 17h55 flights respectively which might suit what you have in mind for another Monday, but is likely to be different by the time Monday afternoon comes of course..
jimbobjamest likes this.
Old Apr 13, 2018, 6:35 am

Originally Posted by EsherFlyer
AMS can be busy of course. Looking at today's flights on Expert Flyer they are all zeroed out in J and Y, which matches what BA.com is showing. Next Mon is also very busy, except with Y9 / Y3 / Y1 on the 14h55 / 16h10 / 17h55 flights respectively which might suit what you have in mind for another Monday, but is likely to be different by the time Monday afternoon comes of course..
That's interesting, I'm surprised they're so full considering the competition on that route! I don't suppose you're able to look at the club loads? or loads to LGW? - I would assume this has more availability
Old Apr 13, 2018, 7:03 am

That's interesting, I'm surprised they're so full considering the competition on that route! I don't suppose you're able to look at the club loads? or loads to LGW? - I would assume this has more availability
J is a bit more open on earlier flights on Mon, but not opening up any flights that have no Y in the afternoon. A smattering of J1 / J2 (even if available) on a few isn't something I'd bet on against the Ys already mentioned anyway.

LGW only has 10h55, 14h35, 19h30 flights. 14h35 has some Y and J, but not notably more than the LHR options.

LCY has nothing in J or Y except J2 on the last flight of the day.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.