Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

FAQ: Same Day Changes (SDC) and Free Change on the Day (FCOD) on BA tickets

Old Nov 17, 2019, 2:13 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: Prospero
Same Day Change (SDC) is known as Free Change on the Day (FCOD) within BA. It is available on Plus and CE revenue tickets, single and return, so long as they are not complicated. It is not available on Avios tickets, redemption tickets issued to other frequent flyer schemes, to open jaw tickets, on carriage (tickets with connections) or any other sort of complexity. Also previously changing a ticket with SDC (FCOD) may make it ineligible for SDC, for example if it now becomes open jaw.

You can change the ticket online, via the Contact Centre or at the airport, but see the thread for details and experiences. You can change only after local midnight - up to one hour before departure - for the leg concerned, and only on to another flight on the same route, you can't switch arrival or departure airport at all. If you want to switch a LHR-NCE to LGW-NCE you would have to pay the fare difference and change fee, though in that example it wouldn't necessarily be a huge cost. If there is bad weather or operational problems BA may allow SDC/FCOD anyway, and that does allow a change to airports.
Print Wikipost

FAQ: Same Day Changes (SDC) and Free Change on the Day (FCOD) on BA tickets

Old Jul 16, 2018, 1:22 am

Programs: CX Macro polo Silver, AA platinum
If anyone knows that booking Economy Plus with Avios+Money is still applicable to the same day change on BA?
cause I know that redemption ticket cannot be granted same day change, how about buying ticket with Avios?
Old Jul 16, 2018, 2:22 am
Ambassador, British Airways; FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: BA GGL/CCR, GfL, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by hahaboy123
If anyone knows that booking Economy Plus with Avios+Money is still applicable to the same day change on BA?
cause I know that redemption ticket cannot be granted same day change, how about buying ticket with Avios?
for reward tickets whether paying the full avios rate or reducing the avios by paying some extra cash (avios & money) there is no way to buy basic or plus fares so SDC doesn't apply.

It is only revenue tickets where you are given the option of basic and plus and can have SDC for the plus fare - part paying the revenue ticket with avios would affect SDC if it applied to that ticket.
Old Jul 16, 2018, 2:40 am

Programs: CX Macro polo Silver, AA platinum
Originally Posted by KARFA

for reward tickets whether paying the full avios rate or reducing the avios by paying some extra cash (avios & money) there is no way to buy basic or plus fares so SDC doesn't apply.

It is only revenue tickets where you are given the option of basic and plus and can have SDC for the plus fare - part paying the revenue ticket with avios would affect SDC if it applied to that ticket.
ohh i think i didn’t describe my situation clearly. BA allows me to book flight with avios to deduct some price. 500Avios can deduct Ł5, 1250avios can deduct Ł10 and so on... If i use 500Avios to deduct Ł5, if that i still applicable to change my flight on the same day?
Old Jul 16, 2018, 2:51 am
Ambassador, British Airways; FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: BA GGL/CCR, GfL, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by hahaboy123

ohh i think i didn’t describe my situation clearly. BA allows me to book flight with avios to deduct some price. 500Avios can deduct Ł5, 1250avios can deduct Ł10 and so on... If i use 500Avios to deduct Ł5, if that i still applicable to change my flight on the same day?
yes that’s fine - it’s the second bit of my post so as long as the desrciption says plus fare and the details show same day changes allowed paying some avios to reduce the cash required (part pay with avios) won’t affect SDC.
Old Aug 13, 2018, 3:26 am

Long term lurker(ish) here - so apologies if this has already been covered in another thread.

Needed to do SDC on both legs of LHR-CPH-LHR ticket last week. Managed to do so on the outbound with no issues on the app (other than refreshing every few hours from midnight until 7 am until some availability came up!)

On the return however, despite online booking showing availability for the number of seats required on all CPH-LHR flights yesterday, the 'Change my flight' option on MMB only showed the flight we were booked on and no others (despite the date tab above showing "From +Ł68") after midnight Denmark time. This is the same on BA.com and the app.

The agent on the US Gold line insisted that Plus fare merely waives the Ł60 charge, but fare difference would still apply and finally agreed to check with her manager after it was clear we wouldn't budge. She then proceeded to change our flight for free, however in such a convoluted way that meant new ticket numbers had to be issued (after about an hour of her ringing up another department to get this done) and the fare class changing to B from L.

Obviously appreciate the extra Avios and tier points although I'm slightly confused why the issue with changing the flights online came up, as well as why new e-ticket numbers were required when doing the change over the phone?
Old Aug 13, 2018, 3:33 am
Moderator, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges, and Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold; Flying Blue Life Platinum; LH Sen.; Hilton Diamond; Kemal Kebabs Prized Customer
Originally Posted by Jak_Nottingham
Obviously appreciate the extra Avios and tier points although I'm slightly confused why the issue with changing the flights online came up, as well as why new e-ticket numbers were required when doing the change over the phone?
I suspect that after the first change, the ticket was a bit mangled so as to lose the keywords (part of the internal ticketing architecture that governs what agents can see and do) that facilitate SDC. I don't think I use SDC that often, but on a few cases where I used it on the outbound then the inbound tends not to work. Now I retain screenshots of SDC on booking, so the last time I said to the agent "go ahead and charge me, I'll claim it back later", then when she got to the end of the process the final line said zero anyway. Going from one fare bucket to another isn't unusual, though if the keywords were in place I think what happens is that artificially extra availability is automatically created in the original buckets even though the flight may only be Y1 B0 etc. But if the booking is mangled then the only alternative is for the ticket to be reissued into the higher buckets and you then have to call up BAEC to remove your unwanted Avios and Tier Points.
Whitstabubble likes this.
Old Aug 13, 2018, 3:44 am

Originally Posted by corporate-wage-slave
I suspect that after the first change, the ticket was a bit mangled so as to lose the keywords (part of the internal ticketing architecture that governs what agents can see and do) that facilitate SDC. I don't think I use SDC that often, but on a few cases where I used it on the outbound then the inbound tends not to work.
Thanks c-w-s! We were actually trying to do this on 2 bookings, first one under my name and family and the other on my other half's. The latter did not have SDC done to the outbound but having the same issue online and was the booking we initially spoke to the agent about over the phone.

Still, regardless of the lack of sleep that comes with the midnight countdown (and the resulting phonecalls) - we've saved north of Ł700 with this facility and still managing to avoid the dreaded 6:05 am flight back from CPH. So I'm happy to go through it all again next time..
Anonba likes this.
Old Aug 13, 2018, 9:38 am

Originally Posted by Jak_Nottingham
Long term lurker(ish) here - so apologies if this has already been covered in another thread.

Needed to do SDC on both legs of LHR-CPH-LHR ticket last week. Managed to do so on the outbound with no issues on the app (other than refreshing every few hours from midnight until 7 am until some availability came up!)

On the return however, despite online booking showing availability for the number of seats required on all CPH-LHR flights yesterday, the 'Change my flight' option on MMB only showed the flight we were booked on and no others (despite the date tab above showing "From +Ł68") after midnight Denmark time. This is the same on BA.com and the app.

The agent on the US Gold line insisted that Plus fare merely waives the Ł60 charge, but fare difference would still apply and finally agreed to check with her manager after it was clear we wouldn't budge. She then proceeded to change our flight for free, however in such a convoluted way that meant new ticket numbers had to be issued (after about an hour of her ringing up another department to get this done) and the fare class changing to B from L.

Corporate wage slave is correct Free change on the day is based on keywords in the booking. They can often unfortuately drop out after a re issue or other change. When you then try to process a free change on the day via app or ba.com without the keywords the booking isnt correctly detected as a plus fare. The same would be true for a contact centre agent trying to process a change it would fail as the reservation system would not detect it as a plus fare. The process for the agent should then be to hold the flight and refer you to the airport for reissue. It sounds as though rather than this the ticket was processed via involuntary reiisue similar to what would be used if flight was cancelled.
Old Aug 13, 2018, 9:55 am

Programs: BA Exec Gold; Accor Le Club Gold
I'm looking at a CE flight from Malaga to London as the return part of a long weekend trip. There's a flight just after midnight in the early hours of Monday morning that's very cheap (BA2723 at 00:25).

I was thinking I would then Same Day Change it but don't know how to manage a same day change for something that will be before the midnight London time trigger time. When I price it up on ba.com the conditions include the same day change option. Any advice?
Old Aug 13, 2018, 10:00 am
Moderator, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges, and Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold; Flying Blue Life Platinum; LH Sen.; Hilton Diamond; Kemal Kebabs Prized Customer
Originally Posted by LondonTechTraveller
I'm looking at a CE flight from Malaga to London as the return part of a long weekend trip. There's a flight just after midnight in the early hours of Monday morning that's very cheap (BA2723 at 00:25).

I was thinking I would then Same Day Change it but don't know how to manage a same day change for something that will be before the midnight London time trigger time. When I price it up on ba.com the conditions include the same day change option. Any advice?
There are a few flights were SDC is nearly impractical. It may have SDC on it, but since any change has to be done after midnight local time AND at least an hour before the departure, SDC is hypothetical there unless something forces it to be retimed to later in the day. It's cheap for a reason.
Old Aug 13, 2018, 10:07 am

Programs: BA Exec Gold; Accor Le Club Gold
It isn't a great flight landing after 2am at Gatwick (if it is on time) so I understand the reason for the low cost!
Old Sep 2, 2018, 10:12 am

Programs: Hhonors Diamond, IHG Platinum, BA Silver
Am thinking of booking a 02:30 flight PMI-LGW with a view to changing to an evening flight operated by TItan.

Any potential pitfalls here?

Also the previous poster mentions a midnight London trigger time - does that apply?
Old Sep 2, 2018, 10:17 am

Originally Posted by Wanderlust888
Am thinking of booking a 02:30 flight PMI-LGW with a view to changing to an evening flight operated by TItan.
You will find this difficult, it's a risk basically. You can only change the ticket at midnight PMI time, and then you have until 01:30 to fix the ticket to the evening flight, assuming there is availability. And if it doesn't work you probably need to take the 02:30 flight or lose it entirely. Furthermore the Titan factor may be the sort of thing which prevents it working online, though I've no doubt it can be sorted via the Contact Centre. On the other hand BA's computers may all be working swimmingly on the night in question.
Wanderlust888 likes this.
Old Oct 19, 2018, 8:13 am

Programs: BAEC Gold
Cool

I'm booked on a BCN-LGW flight in a few days and may wish to change on to the later flight. I'm in Club Europe, but it's an Iberia issued ticket (starting 075), flight numbers showing as IBxxxx on booking and in BA app, booking class R.

Will I be able to change this fare either online or via call centre? Or have I sacrificed the right to same day changes by not booking a BA ticket?
Old Oct 19, 2018, 9:33 am

Programs: BA Gold, Sixt Platinum
Just a related question/observation/rant - why is BA so "stingy" when it comes to the SDC?

First of all, as evidenced by this threat, the rules seem to be ridiculously complex. I understand that this would be related to revenue protection which is fine.

When it comes to the actual day itself however, if I show up at the airport early and there are seats available after check-in closed, why are they not more flexible? I travel out of AMS often and, if not on a fully flex Y ticket, there is literally zero chance to convince check-in or gate staff to be let on an earlier flight.

Surely it must be BA's (commercial) objective to get everyone who's booked on that day out of AMS and into LHR (in this case, for example). Am I missing something or would shifting people to earlier flights where easy and possible not contribute to this? Same applies to other outstations with frequent flights.

If it was such an issue for revenue management/protection, why do Qantas and US carriers do this so well?
wyvern likes this.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.