Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

FAQ: Same Day Changes (SDC) and Free Change on the Day (FCOD) on BA tickets

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Nov 17, 2019, 2:13 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: Prospero
Same Day Change (SDC) is known as Free Change on the Day (FCOD) within BA. It is available on Plus and CE revenue tickets, single and return, so long as they are not complicated. It is not available on Avios tickets, redemption tickets issued to other frequent flyer schemes, to open jaw tickets, on carriage (tickets with connections) or any other sort of complexity. Also previously changing a ticket with SDC (FCOD) may make it ineligible for SDC, for example if it now becomes open jaw.

You can change the ticket online, via the Contact Centre or at the airport, but see the thread for details and experiences. You can change only after local midnight - up to one hour before departure - for the leg concerned, and only on to another flight on the same route, you can't switch arrival or departure airport at all. If you want to switch a LHR-NCE to LGW-NCE you would have to pay the fare difference and change fee, though in that example it wouldn't necessarily be a huge cost. If there is bad weather or operational problems BA may allow SDC/FCOD anyway, and that does allow a change to airports.
Print Wikipost

FAQ: Same Day Changes (SDC) and Free Change on the Day (FCOD) on BA tickets

Search this Thread

Old Aug 17, 2017, 6:06 am

Programs: BA Blue, IC Spire Ambassador
Thanks CWS, as always, really appreciate your assistance and happy for this to be merged. I was pretty sure I'd read through that thread but just wanted to check my understanding.

Originally Posted by corporate-wage-slave
1) No service fee, there just needs to be one seat in the same cabin, even if it is Y (or J if in CE), and there's no fare difference involved. The ticket is revalidated but usually that takes a minute or two to do. You best do it via BA.com or the App, see below, but it can be done on the telephone or at the airport, just ensure you have a clear hour before both your new flight and your previous flight.

2) No, it's not interchangeable with other airports unless there are irrops and they lift that particular restriction. You can still pay for that, with the change fee and fare difference. If going from LHR to LGW then it may well be just the change fee.

3) If a corporate ticket, you best do it on BA.com and sign fully into BAEC. If a personal ticket, the App will be fine. The reason being that if you use the App, you are actually in a slightly different place than a full BA.com login, and on the "know your customer" principle, and the fact that a corporate ticket may not have been paid with a credit card, the App may request a credit card number to proceed.

4) No waitlisting is possible for this.

5) Yes, midnight for the departure airport. You sometimes have to wait a few minutes for BA's IT clock to catch up with the real time if they forgot to change the batteries recently. When you get a big "Consent" screen come up you know you're OK.

6) The main thread is here, with a lot more information:
http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/briti...change-ba.html

I'll ask the Mods to consider moving this thread over, you ask some specific questions not in that thread.
Old Aug 17, 2017, 6:25 am

Sorry one follow up - so it can be changed even if OLCI completed [and BP issued] - I'm reading the bit about refreshing the app? What if I've already bag dropped, can the change be done later (provided 1 hour before) and is the system clever enough to sort the bag barcode / biometrics and so on out?
Old Aug 17, 2017, 6:29 am
Moderator, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges, and Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold; Flying Blue Life Platinum; LH Sen.; Hilton Diamond; Kemal Kebabs Prized Customer
Originally Posted by IAMORGAN
Sorry one follow up - so it can be changed even if OLCI completed [and BP issued]? What if I've already bag dropped, can the change be done later (provided 1 hour before) and is the system clever enough to sort the bag barcode / biometrics and so on out?
It can be done after OLCI, but you have to be offloaded before anything happens, and therefore it can't be done online, you have to call up or go to the airport. It doesn't take long to offload you. Personally I would defer OLCI if there was a chance that I'd avail of SDC (just then don't forget to check-in at all, as I nearly did once!). The bag is not usually easy to move (depends on the airport). Regardless of whether it is technically possible or not, I would say that once the bag is in the system you're not realistically able to change the booking. That really doesn't make sense anyway to my mind, since if you're at the airport you will know when the next available flight would be.
Old Aug 17, 2017, 6:33 am

my understanding having asked similar a few days back is it's still doable once OLCI done but not online it would need call to center or airport, suspect once your bags gone you're committed but will wait for a more knowledgeable answer
Old Aug 17, 2017, 6:34 am

It can be done after OLCI, but you have to be offloaded before anything happens, and therefore it can't be done online, you have to call up or go to the airport. It doesn't take long to offload you. Personally I would defer OLCI if there was a chance that I'd avail of SDC (just then don't forget to check-in at all, as I nearly did once!). The bag is not usually easy to move (depends on the airport). Regardless of whether it is technically possible or not, I would say that once the bag is in the system you're not realistically able to change the booking. That really doesn't make sense anyway to my mind, since if you're at the airport you will know when the next available flight would be.
Thanks, what I'm thinking about is if as does happen you get there v early to try to jump on earlier flight, totally full, but then say 1 hour 30 or so before STD an inbound connecting pax gets delayed so flight connections support people proactively rebook them - this could free up a seat and change could still be done. I appreciate it's a faff and not within the spirit of the rules. I did think this might be easier at Heathrow given singing and dancing bag system. I just like to have a full understanding of these things!

Thanks again CWS.
Old Aug 17, 2017, 6:34 am

OK you don't even need to wait for a better answer!
Old Aug 17, 2017, 6:37 am
Moderator, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges, and Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold; Flying Blue Life Platinum; LH Sen.; Hilton Diamond; Kemal Kebabs Prized Customer
Originally Posted by IAMORGAN
I did think this might be easier at Heathrow given singing and dancing bag system.
As those who have met me will know, I'm totally in favour of incurable optimism. However I fear your quote above is probably a stretch too far.
Old Aug 17, 2017, 6:41 am

As those who have met me will know, I'm totally in favour of incurable optimism. However I fear your quote above is probably a stretch too far.
Well i'm possibly the world's biggest cynic and my bag would probably end up at baggage claim in Heathrow rather than at my destination (hopefully they wouldn't treat it as Rush baggage in any circumstances, as that would be wrong especially in current climate). This is definitely a great benefit for CE though and agree easiest is just not to OLCI.
Old Feb 21, 2018, 12:47 pm

Programs: BAEC - Gold
Sorry if this has already been answered, but I can’t find it. Can you use SDC on a UUA’d Plus Economy domestic fare? I know our current fare is eligible, but what if we UUA it to CE?
Old Feb 21, 2018, 12:54 pm

Originally Posted by TheFlyingCyclist
Sorry if this has already been answered, but I can’t find it. Can you use SDC on a UUA’d Plus Economy domestic fare? I know our current fare is eligible, but what if we UUA it to CE?
That unfortunately makes it inflexible, and unchangeable within 24 hours. I believe you can ask BAEC to cancel the UuA, to revert you back to the original fare (and thus enables SDC again), but if done in the final 24 hours you get nothing back. Basically best to regard UuA as taking away SDC.
Old Feb 21, 2018, 12:55 pm

Programs: BAEC - Gold
I see - thank you
Old Feb 23, 2018, 3:13 am

Programs: BA GGL / GFL, Mucci Diamond!, HH Diamond, Radisson Premium, IHG Gold, Hertz Gold
1) No service fee, there just needs to be one seat in the same cabin, even if it is Y (or J if in CE), and there's no fare difference involved. The ticket is revalidated but usually that takes a minute or two to do. You best do it via BA.com or the App, see below, but it can be done on the telephone or at the airport, just ensure you have a clear hour before both your new flight and your previous flight.

3) If a corporate ticket, you best do it on BA.com and sign fully into BAEC. If a personal ticket, the App will be fine. The reason being that if you use the App, you are actually in a slightly different place than a full BA.com login, and on the "know your customer" principle, and the fact that a corporate ticket may not have been paid with a credit card, the App may request a credit card number to proceed.

5) Yes, midnight for the departure airport. You sometimes have to wait a few minutes for BA's IT clock to catch up with the real time if they forgot to change the batteries recently. When you get a big "Consent" screen come up you know you're OK.
Really helpful - thanks. I've just used SDC for the first time for a flight later this evening - it's a really useful development!

3. It was booked through a corporate travel agent, so when I tried to make the change on the app, it asked for the credit card number (which I don't know) so I couldn't proceed. I didn't try the full ba.com - would it have been possible there?
When my corp travel agent opened and I called them, it took 3 minutes and was a totally free change.

5. You're right you have to make the change on the day of departure only. Yesterday evening it would have cost Ł278
Old Feb 23, 2018, 3:19 am

Originally Posted by ThatT1Feeling
I didn't try the full ba.com - would it have been possible there?
Yes, it should have worked via BA.com for the reasons you quoted from my original post: if fully logged in first, the "know your customer" aspect is lined up at that point and you shouldn't be asked that question. There is a work around on the App which does work for me, which is to look for an Avios redemption (random location) and the App will ask for your BAEC login details. If you then quickly move to the SDC operation, without closing down the App, the Know Your Customer piece will be fulfilled and you may not get the credit card number
ThatT1Feeling likes this.
Old Mar 7, 2018, 10:56 am

Slightly off topic, but hoping for some clarity. I know this SDC policy applies to CE bookings. Just want to confirm — It does NOT apply to CE flights which connect/same ticket to a long haul flight (restricted FC fare OTP-LHR- ORD)?

Issue is a relatively tight morning connection @LHR. Ideally would take the flight the night before — just two flights a day. Absent SDC, I guess I’d be stuck with a change fee/fare? Or does BA grant some flexibility for those booked in F (CE from OTP)? Appreciate any advice!
Old Mar 7, 2018, 11:05 am

Programs: BA Gold
The flight needs to be on the same day as the one you are currently booked on, so your plan of "taking the flight the previous evening" would not work despite that flight being less than 24 hours before your original flight. The problem simply is that you can only change your flight (for free) at midnight of the day of your original flight - otherwise will incur change fees.

Hope that helps

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.