Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

Same Day Changes (SDC) and Free Change on the Day (FCOD) on BA tickets

Same Day Changes (SDC) and Free Change on the Day (FCOD) on BA tickets

Hide Wikipost
Old Feb 26, 20, 2:08 am   -   Wikipost
Please read: This is a community-maintained wiki post containing the most important information from this thread. You may edit the Wiki once you have been on FT for 90 days and have made 90 posts.

Last edit by: alp67
Wiki Link
Same Day Change (SDC) is known as Free Change on the Day (FCOD) within BA. It is available on Plus and CE revenue tickets, single and return, so long as they are not complicated. It is not available on Avios tickets, redemption tickets issued to other frequent flyer schemes, to open jaw tickets, on carriage (tickets with connections) or any other sort of complexity. Also previously changing a ticket with SDC (FCOD) may make it ineligible for SDC, for example if it now becomes open jaw.

You can change the ticket online, via the Contact Centre or at the airport, but see the thread for details and experiences. You can change only after local midnight for the leg concerned, and only on to another flight on the same route, you can't switch arrival or departure airport at all. If you want to switch a LHR-NCE to LGW-NCE you would have to pay the fare difference and change fee, though in that example it wouldn't necessarily be a huge cost. If there is bad weather or operational problems BA may allow SDC/FCOD anyway, and that does allow a change to airports.
Print Wikipost

Old Feb 4, 20, 9:19 am

Programs: BA GGL CCR, Marriott Ti, HH Diamond, Cafe Nero Loyalty Card
Originally Posted by Will100 View Post
I have the same but have booked the 11:35 back.
I'd have done this but the 11:35 was double the price of the 07:25 so I've booked the 18:35 and will try and switch once my QR flight has taken off.
Old Feb 5, 20, 4:37 pm

Programs: BAEC GGL, CCR; RyanAir MillionMiler :( ;
I just LOVE SDC for business trips in Europe. FRA WAW CDG
Old Feb 10, 20, 9:23 am

quick query..... I'm currently booked on BA0794 LHR-HEL at 0755 ..... would it be possible to change to the BA6032 at 1020, even though the airline is Finnair, not BA now?

also, does anyone know how early i can check bags into a flight at Helsinki airport? Even if i were to get the later flight, I'd still have a 5hr layover and I'd love to spend that in the lounge, rather than landside
Old Feb 10, 20, 9:56 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA GGL/CCR, GfL, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by ayearinmx View Post
quick query..... I'm currently booked on BA0794 LHR-HEL at 0755 ..... would it be possible to change to the BA6032 at 1020, even though the airline is Finnair, not BA now?

also, does anyone know how early i can check bags into a flight at Helsinki airport? Even if i were to get the later flight, I'd still have a 5hr layover and I'd love to spend that in the lounge, rather than landside
SDC/FCOD should be BA metal only on that route so changing to an AY operated flight will most probably not work.
Old Feb 10, 20, 9:56 am

Programs: BA Gold, Hilton Diamond, IHG Spire
Originally Posted by ayearinmx View Post

it is possible but you need to be prepared for a fight with BA. The agent will claim it you can't, etc. However the website which list the condition says: Free changes on the day of departure provided changes are for same date/cabin/route/airport/ Doesn't say anything about airline, etc. I had successful changes many times but you have to be prepared with the website information and find an agent who will able to do it. And it's not easy to do after midnight and before 6:55 am... You will need to research which call centre is open during that time. I haven't tried airport ticketing desk but I won't have much hope there.

If you are on the return BA flight then I don't think you can check your bag in that early (normal checkin desk opening time applies). However if you are on a Finnair flight then I believe you can do it what I'm not sure if there is a restriction ie cabin and/or status. I would ask when you arrive it's not a big detour anyway to the checkin area. I would also take the train and not the taxi. It's expensive, you might have to queue outside for long, etc.

Last edited by Krisz; Feb 10, 20 at 10:05 am Reason: added information about the second part of the question
Old Feb 10, 20, 10:12 am

sorry.... i should clarify that I'm flying onwards to Rovaniemi on a Finnair flight, rather than returning back to LHR (it is a tier run, but I'm doing some sight-seeing too )

worst case I just store the luggage and head into town, but it'd obviously be nice if i could just check it in and not have to worry
Old Feb 12, 20, 1:35 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Silver / VS /IHG Spire & Ambassador
Quick one

I have a simple point to point CE ticket that I want to change the outbound leg on (subkect to availability of course).

If I change the outbound using FDOC does that prevent me from FDOCing on the return leg or is it one change only?

Thanks
Old Feb 12, 20, 1:45 pm

Programs: BAEC Silver, Miles and More(FTL), IHG(Platinum), Accor, HHonors(Diamond), SPG, Hertz Five Star
Originally Posted by UKtravelbear View Post
Quick one

I have a simple point to point CE ticket that I want to change the outbound leg on (subkect to availability of course).

If I change the outbound using FDOC does that prevent me from FDOCing on the return leg or is it one change only?

Thanks
Nothing stopping you changing both legs. No 'one leg only' condition.
Old Feb 12, 20, 2:04 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Thanks for that.

Edit - unable to change to an earlier fight today as no availability in Club.

But despite being relegated to Silver since the booking my front row seat has been preserved so I'm still in row 1.

Last edited by UKtravelbear; Feb 12, 20 at 5:43 pm
Old Feb 15, 20, 6:29 am

Programs: BAEC Silver
I’m booked on BA831 DUB-LHR in J tomorrow at 7am, hoping to switch to a later service. EF shows many flights with availability (most coincidentally showing J4C3). BA also selling lots of seats in J and Y for most flights later in the day.

Given the storm has cancelled one of the outbound flights today which will likely result in some of those pax rebooking onto tomorrow’s services, I tried to price the change today (as if I wait until midnight for free SDC, availability may be gone) but both the website and app showing no availability for me to change the flight even for cash. Anyone have any insight into why I can’t do any change (even a paid one) despite lots of availability and BA still selling tickets?

In case it’s relevant, I did a SDC on the outbound leg of the journey, but I don’t think the T&C limit SDC to just once per booking.
Old Feb 16, 20, 10:52 am

Programs: BAEC Silver
Originally Posted by 27Liam View Post
Iím booked on BA831 DUB-LHR in J tomorrow at 7am, hoping to switch to a later service. EF shows many flights with availability (most coincidentally showing J4C3). BA also selling lots of seats in J and Y for most flights later in the day.

Given the storm has cancelled one of the outbound flights today which will likely result in some of those pax rebooking onto tomorrowís services, I tried to price the change today (as if I wait until midnight for free SDC, availability may be gone) but both the website and app showing no availability for me to change the flight even for cash. Anyone have any insight into why I canít do any change (even a paid one) despite lots of availability and BA still selling tickets?

In case itís relevant, I did a SDC on the outbound leg of the journey, but I donít think the T&C limit SDC to just once per booking.
For the benefit of others who find themselves in the same situation, I was able to do FCOD without issue on the app just after midnight. Despite an earlier departure being cancelled, there were still two J seats available on my desired flight at that time, one of which I naturally snapped up very quickly. I suspect the issue I experienced was an IT issue rather than ticketing / availability issue.

Incidentally, 5 mins after my confirmed change, seats on all flights post midday showed 0J availability on all non-cancelled flights. I suspect a few others were playing FDOC roulette alongside me.
Old Feb 17, 20, 2:38 am

Programs: BA Exec Club Bronze, Virgin Flying Club Red, Swiss M&M Blue
Had a bad experience. Work had booked me a Plus fare. The app was telling me that I could change for free but upon searching flights it only offered me paid changes. When I called ba the agent said it wasn't possible without paying and had never heard of it. Eventually she put it down to having been booked through a travel agent. However I'm not one to give in and the agent at check in gladly changed me to the morning lux flight instead of the 8pm one even though yesterday evening's flight had been cancelled. She said I had the last seat but was more than happy to put up with a middle seat than 12 hours plus in T5.
Old Feb 17, 20, 4:40 am

Programs: BA GGL CCR, Marriott Ti, HH Diamond, Cafe Nero Loyalty Card
Originally Posted by Wozza2404 View Post
I'd have done this but the 11:35 was double the price of the 07:25 so I've booked the 18:35 and will try and switch once my QR flight has taken off.
I debated this onboard QR and eventually opted for the 11:35 rather than the 07:25 because of the T5-T2 sprint required. Good job I did as I was pulled for a random check by ARN customs which took 15 minutes.
Old Feb 18, 20, 8:54 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I managed to do an SDC yesterday AMS-LGW

Time - only kicked in after 1AM AMS time

Only offered one choice of flight to LGW and that was the flight they still had one CE ticket for sale. Once it had gone through seat was no longer for sale.
Old Feb 27, 20, 4:28 am

Programs: BA GGL
BA Holidays ticket with a CW booking. Does SDC apply or not?

Search this Thread
Search Engine: