Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

FAQ: Same Day Changes (SDC) and Free Change on the Day (FCOD) on BA tickets

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Nov 17, 2019, 2:13 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: Prospero
Same Day Change (SDC) is known as Free Change on the Day (FCOD) within BA. It is available on Plus and CE revenue tickets, single and return, so long as they are not complicated. It is not available on Avios tickets, redemption tickets issued to other frequent flyer schemes, to open jaw tickets, on carriage (tickets with connections) or any other sort of complexity. Also previously changing a ticket with SDC (FCOD) may make it ineligible for SDC, for example if it now becomes open jaw.

You can change the ticket online, via the Contact Centre or at the airport, but see the thread for details and experiences. You can change only after local midnight - up to one hour before departure - for the leg concerned, and only on to another flight on the same route, you can't switch arrival or departure airport at all. If you want to switch a LHR-NCE to LGW-NCE you would have to pay the fare difference and change fee, though in that example it wouldn't necessarily be a huge cost. If there is bad weather or operational problems BA may allow SDC/FCOD anyway, and that does allow a change to airports.
Print Wikipost

FAQ: Same Day Changes (SDC) and Free Change on the Day (FCOD) on BA tickets

Search this Thread

Old Sep 30, 2019, 8:36 am
Moderator, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges, and Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold; Flying Blue Life Platinum; LH Sen.; Hilton Diamond; Kemal Kebabs Prized Customer
Originally Posted by mattyw
Any reason that an I class ticket with a BA flight number but operated by IB would be ineligible for SDC?
Yes, the fact it is operated by IB means there is no SDC. There could be other reasons as well, but these are explored in the main thread:
https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/brit...change-ba.html
Old Sep 30, 2019, 8:46 am

Programs: BA Gold, Honors Gold
Originally Posted by corporate-wage-slave
Yes, the fact it is operated by IB means there is no SDC.
Drat.

Still, I'll give it a go on the day and will report back in the main thread if successful.
Old Sep 30, 2019, 8:59 am

Yes, the fact it is operated by IB means there is no SDC. There could be other reasons as well, but these are explored in the main thread:
https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/brit...change-ba.html
Codeshare IB flights should now have free change on the day. This is a fairky recent change within the last few months or so.
Old Sep 30, 2019, 10:40 am

Programs: BA Gold/Marriott Gold/HH Diamond/IC Plat Amba
Originally Posted by KARFA
Originally it didn't apply to CE, but that changed and it applies to I class CE bookings now as long as they are simple one way or returns.
Never having done this before but arriving on an early TATL into LHR and then have an I fare separate onward CE ticket with a 6 hour layover. If I want to do a change to an earlier available flight where at T5 would I do this? Could I do it at the First Wing check in?
Old Sep 30, 2019, 10:50 am

Programs: BA GGL / GFL, Mucci Diamond!, HH Diamond, Radisson Premium, IHG Gold, Hertz Gold
Originally Posted by Crampedin13A
Never having done this before but arriving on an early TATL into LHR and then have an I fare separate onward CE ticket with a 6 hour layover. If I want to do a change to an earlier available flight where at T5 would I do this? Could I do it at the First Wing check in?
If you have Wifi on the plane, you should be able to do it online, or on the app when you've landed?
Crampedin13A likes this.
Old Sep 30, 2019, 10:55 am

Programs: BA Gold/Marriott Gold/HH Diamond/IC Plat Amba
Originally Posted by ThatT1Feeling
If you have Wifi on the plane, you should be able to do it online, or on the app when you've landed?
I'll have a look in MMB after it turns midnight UK time on the TATL flight if the wifi is working. Thanks.
ThatT1Feeling likes this.
Old Sep 30, 2019, 11:12 am
Moderator, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges, and Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold; Flying Blue Life Platinum; LH Sen.; Hilton Diamond; Kemal Kebabs Prized Customer
Originally Posted by Crampedin13A
I'll have a look in MMB after it turns midnight UK time on the TATL flight if the wifi is working. Thanks.
But yes, they can do in the First Wing. The agent on the far left side, under Ticketing is most able to sort it out, but in theory any Premium Agent can resolve this.
Crampedin13A likes this.
Old Oct 1, 2019, 4:35 am

Programs: EK Gold, BA Gold
Originally Posted by modularmayhem
Can i still avail of the free SDC on a flight+hotel booking in Club Europe?
When i was booking it as flight only it showed free SDC in the T&Cs, but when i added the hotel i can no longer see that in the fare rules
To answer my own question. This was eventually possible. The regular Exec Gold line couldnt do it (i had to call USA number as it was after midnight UK), but they were able to transfer me to a manager in the holidays dept so changed it very quickly and with very little hassle. Took him about 30 seconds.
Old Oct 1, 2019, 11:04 pm

Programs: BA Gold, Honors Gold
Originally Posted by Anonba
Codeshare IB flights should now have free change on the day. This is a fairky recent change within the last few months or so.
I'm able to use SDC on such a booking for today, unfortunately the flight back to LHR using the A350 is zeroed out in all classes...
Old Oct 5, 2019, 11:55 pm

Programs: QF, TK, VA, SQ
I had originally booked Club LHR-MUC and Plus MUC-LHR, coming back tonight.

I then had to split my booking out from the rest of my group as I had to be in Amsterdam earlier in the week, but left the return sector. This required significant effort from BA's fares/ticketing team and took about 2 weeks for them to re-ticket manually.

Today we're all feeling pretty tired and I've gotten sick over the weekend, so we want to change for an earlier flight, of which there are plenty of seats. The group - no probs, moved flight online.
I got an error about needing to call as my booking "contained a surface sector". The agent on the phone is now telling me that she can see I originally booked with a plus fare, but the changes I made to my outbound flight have changed the fare rules for the whole ticket and that it's lost its flexibility (and that to change will cost ~£450

Does anyone have any experience in this area -- is it possible to get the "plus" part added back onto my fare as it was originally, and get them to make the change to the booking for me?

Don't have much hope here but thought I'd come here for potential help!
Old Oct 6, 2019, 2:34 am

Originally Posted by pythonisman
I he agent on the phone is now telling me that she can see I originally booked with a plus fare, but the changes I made to my outbound flight have changed the fare rules for the whole ticket and that it's lost its flexibility (and that to change will cost ~£450
I am 99% sure the agent is 100% correct in terms of what they seeing on the screen, but this has all the hallmarks of the keywords dropping out of the booking. If you alter a booking this is often the consequence, whereas those who travel on tickets that haven't been mucked about tend to be able use SDC, typically online too.

If your current booking is a straightforward Plus ticket, with no other bookings on the sector and not using any special fares, it should still be OK for SDC. You have three options: pay the change fee (when the agent gets to the end of the booking process it may turn out that there is no fee to pay but that's not guaranteed) and then claim it back afterwards. I can't guarantee this is plain sailing but in essence if you paid for a Plus ticket standalone then part of your contract with BA involves an SDC-able ticket. Your second option is to ring again, using the Change booking option on the IVR, hopefully you will get a more knowledgeable agent who knows about the keyword issues - at worse they may ask you to get an agent at MUC to reissue the ticket. Though they have third party agents in MUC, many of them are skilled in this area. Finally leave it to MUC, arrive in time for the earlier service and see if they can help there.

The above applies assuming no other unmentioned factors (e.g. corporate fares, travel agency booking, POUGs etc).
pythonisman likes this.
Old Oct 6, 2019, 3:39 am

I am 99% sure the agent is 100% correct in terms of what they seeing on the screen, but this has all the hallmarks of the keywords dropping out of the booking. If you alter a booking this is often the consequence, whereas those who travel on tickets that haven't been mucked about tend to be able use SDC, typically online too.

If your current booking is a straightforward Plus ticket, with no other bookings on the sector and not using any special fares, it should still be OK for SDC. You have three options: pay the change fee (when the agent gets to the end of the booking process it may turn out that there is no fee to pay but that's not guaranteed) and then claim it back afterwards. I can't guarantee this is plain sailing but in essence if you paid for a Plus ticket standalone then part of your contract with BA involves an SDC-able ticket. Your second option is to ring again, using the Change booking option on the IVR, hopefully you will get a more knowledgeable agent who knows about the keyword issues - at worse they may ask you to get an agent at MUC to reissue the ticket. Though they have third party agents in MUC, many of them are skilled in this area. Finally leave it to MUC, arrive in time for the earlier service and see if they can help there.

The above applies assuming no other unmentioned factors (e.g. corporate fares, travel agency booking, POUGs etc).
Thanks for taking the time to reply. This is exactly what I think has happened.

Is there any way to prove that my original ticket was a plus fare? I can’t find the language anywhere in the original confirmation email. Also my ticket number is not the same as it was originally, after changing the first sector to LGW-AMS I got generated a new ticket- so I also can’t find anywhere in the new PNR that I have a plus fare either (and like you said the remarks seem to have fallen off the ticket causing this issue)

The agent I spoke to this morning was not helpful, trying to argue that I hadn’t bought a Y bucket fare therefore he couldn’t change me to a Y fare (all that’s available now) without charging me hundreds of pounds...
Old Oct 6, 2019, 3:53 am

Originally Posted by pythonisman
Thanks for taking the time to reply. This is exactly what I think has happened.

Is there any way to prove that my original ticket was a plus fare? I can’t find the language anywhere in the original confirmation email. Also my ticket number is not the same as it was originally, after changing the first sector to LGW-AMS I got generated a new ticket- so I also can’t find anywhere in the new PNR that I have a plus fare either (and like you said the remarks seem to have fallen off the ticket causing this issue)

The agent I spoke to this morning was not helpful, trying to argue that I hadn’t bought a Y bucket fare therefore he couldn’t change me to a Y fare (all that’s available now) without charging me hundreds of pounds...
Y bucket is kind of a red herring. It is one way to get SDC for sure, since effectively you're upgrading into a bucket with has flexibility in the Fare Basis (and more flexibility than SDC incidentally). But if you are now on a Plus fare, so a point to point flight with baggage allowance, then you should have SDC on your current fare - it's just that the keywords aren't allowing the transaction since your ticket is mucked up.

As for finding proof you had a Plus fare, well the usual advice here is to print the relevant screen when you buy the ticket - I deal with my bookings by "printing" to Google Drive for future reference - but I doubt that is seriously contested, all you need to prove - again assuming point to point - is that you did not buy a Basic ticket. You could check the amount you paid and compare it to the fare basis listed in (say) ExpertFlyer. Or you could just ask an agent for the fare basis of the current and previous booking, then reverse engineer that through EF. Or use BA.com to come up with a similar booking in similar codes. But I'm not sure this really helps much unless you decide to pay the £450, contest it afterwards AND BA also contests your version of events. The fact is that on public point to point fares on BA metal (and IB codeshares), only Basic fares do not have SDC.

So my three suggestions still stand.
pythonisman likes this.
Old Oct 6, 2019, 5:50 am

Programs: BA Silver, SAS Diamond and LTG, Marriott Titanium and LT Plat, Radisson Premium
Your second option is to ring again, using the Change booking option on the IVR, hopefully you will get a more knowledgeable agent who knows about the keyword issues - at worse they may ask you to get an agent at MUC to reissue the ticket. Though they have third party agents in MUC, many of them are skilled in this area. Finally leave it to MUC, arrive in time for the earlier service and see if they can help there.

Just a point of warning about leaving it to the airport, I recently found it very difficult to get a SDC ticket re-issued by the third-party agents at FRA, even though the Gold line told me to do that - see Using Concur TripLink. Different circumstances to the OP, but the crux (definitely being entitled to SDC and relying on the third-party airport agents to do the ticketing) was the same. It all resolved itself in the end, but I’d recommend leaving some buffer time; check-in closes at T-45, and it might take 20-25 minutes or more to get it fixed.
Old Oct 6, 2019, 3:19 pm

Thanks for the input.

I ended up roughly going through option 1 outlined by c-w-s above- the second agent I spoke to said it was unlikely they could override the system saying I had to pay the fare difference, but that as I had been told that the return flight was unchanged multiple times my case for refund was reasonable.

I had a situation in FCO last month where the ground team said they could do nothing to help me change to an earlier flight, and didn’t want to chance it at the airport (and end up having to wait for 5 or so hours in the contract lounge).

That being said the newish lounge in MUC is actually pretty decent. Not 5 hours decent; but better than I thought it’d be
AverageHighFlyer likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.