Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

FAQ: Same Day Changes (SDC) and Free Change on the Day (FCOD) on BA tickets

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Nov 17, 2019, 2:13 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: Prospero
Same Day Change (SDC) is known as Free Change on the Day (FCOD) within BA. It is available on Plus and CE revenue tickets, single and return, so long as they are not complicated. It is not available on Avios tickets, redemption tickets issued to other frequent flyer schemes, to open jaw tickets, on carriage (tickets with connections) or any other sort of complexity. Also previously changing a ticket with SDC (FCOD) may make it ineligible for SDC, for example if it now becomes open jaw.

You can change the ticket online, via the Contact Centre or at the airport, but see the thread for details and experiences. You can change only after local midnight - up to one hour before departure - for the leg concerned, and only on to another flight on the same route, you can't switch arrival or departure airport at all. If you want to switch a LHR-NCE to LGW-NCE you would have to pay the fare difference and change fee, though in that example it wouldn't necessarily be a huge cost. If there is bad weather or operational problems BA may allow SDC/FCOD anyway, and that does allow a change to airports.
Print Wikipost

FAQ: Same Day Changes (SDC) and Free Change on the Day (FCOD) on BA tickets

Search this Thread

Old Aug 30, 2019, 1:48 am
Moderator, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges, and Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold; Flying Blue Life Platinum; LH Sen.; Hilton Diamond; Kemal Kebabs Prized Customer
And the other thing to do on the day of travel is to walk through the first few screens to see whether it is free or not. One screen incorrectly implies that there will be a fee to pay, but the screen which shows your original trip, proposed changes and cost, before the final confirmation is clear enough.

But yes, if you bought a ticket via BA.com purely on BA metal, with no add on flights (e.g. domestic connections) or services such as hotels, and not a Basic fare without a checked baggage allowance - these tickets are Plus with SDC.

If you don't have status then you can also select your seat at T-48 hours rather than at OLCI on Plus tickets.
Old Aug 30, 2019, 2:37 am

Programs: BAEC Gold
It's quite remarkable that each change that is made to the BA front end seems to offer less useful information about the ticket than the previous version did.
Kgmm77 likes this.
Old Sep 26, 2019, 10:10 am

Programs: EK Gold, BA Gold
Can i still avail of the free SDC on a flight+hotel booking in Club Europe?
When i was booking it as flight only it showed free SDC in the T&Cs, but when i added the hotel i can no longer see that in the fare rules
Old Sep 26, 2019, 11:16 am

Programs: BAEC Silver, Miles and More(FTL), IHG(Platinum), Accor, HHonors(Diamond), SPG, Hertz Five Star
I suspect not, point to point bookings only. so I suspect turning it into a "holiday" it is not longer classed as P2P.

I await someone correcting me
Old Sep 27, 2019, 9:32 am

Programs: EK Gold, BA Gold
Originally Posted by scottishpoet
I suspect not, point to point bookings only. so I suspect turning it into a "holiday" it is not longer classed as P2P.

I await someone correcting me
thanks, i will report back later tonight after i try to do this
Old Sep 30, 2019, 3:51 am

Free Same Day Change includes CE with POUG ?

I have a MAD-LHR booking in Economy Plus (not HBO) fare, and subject to my schedule might try to get out on an earlier flight. I have received a rather appealing POUG and can't find conclusive information on the same day change rules in CE.

At the moment I believe I have the same day change, but does the POUG to CE still allow this? This is for Friday 4th October in case that's relevant.

Many thanks
Old Sep 30, 2019, 4:03 am

Programs: BAEC Gold, Accor Live Limitless Gold, Hilton Honours Gold, Avis Preferred Plus
From my understanding, taking the POUG removes all flexibility in the ticket (with regards to SDC). If you have purchased CE at the onset that would have free SDC but taking the POUG is not the same.
george77300 likes this.
Old Sep 30, 2019, 4:08 am

Originally Posted by wilsnunn
From my understanding, taking the POUG removes all flexibility in the ticket (with regards to SDC). If you have purchased CE at the onset that would have free SDC but taking the POUG is not the same.
Thanks very much. I'll stick with what I have and may POUG then if I don't need to change it, or hope the POUG is available on my new flight!

Thanks. ^
wilsnunn likes this.
Old Sep 30, 2019, 5:22 am

Programs: Mucci, BAEC, Eurostar
On that topic it means that if I bought CE I would have a free SDC? I've bought a JFK flight from DUB and because I wasn't sure about luggage being short-checked I thought I'd book the return with about 10hrs in-between and visit the Guinness brewery. But if I'm feeling too knackered I might just hop on the next available flight and get some sleep...

Second question, any chance that SDC can get me back to LCY instead of LHR, or does it have to be the same airport?
Old Sep 30, 2019, 5:29 am

Programs: Tufty Club (Gold), BAGA Gymnastics level 4, 440yds swimming certificate
I don't think SDC applies to all CE tickets - just the flexible booking classes?
It certainly has to be the same route (so no change of airport)
Old Sep 30, 2019, 5:46 am
Ambassador, British Airways; FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: BA GGL/CCR, GfL, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by A P Yu
I don't think SDC applies to all CE tickets - just the flexible booking classes?
Originally it didn't apply to CE, but that changed and it applies to I class CE bookings now as long as they are simple one way or returns.
Old Sep 30, 2019, 5:47 am

Programs: BAEC Gold, Accor Live Limitless Gold, Hilton Honours Gold, Avis Preferred Plus
Originally Posted by alex67500
On that topic it means that if I bought CE I would have a free SDC?
Originally Posted by A P Yu
From recollection, all CE fares bought from BA.com now include SDC but didn't at first.

I've bought a JFK flight from DUB and because I wasn't sure about luggage being short-checked I thought I'd book the return with about 10hrs in-between and visit the Guinness brewery. But if I'm feeling too knackered I might just hop on the next available flight and get some sleep...
In this case it will not be possible as SDC is only on standalone CE bookings, not on CE flights that are part of another booking (i.e. connection to/from a long haul flight)

Second question, any chance that SDC can get me back to LCY instead of LHR, or does it have to be the same airport?
It is best to check this, but I think originally it was allowed but they changed it as too many people were booking to the cheapest airport (LGW for example) and changing to LHR on the day for free despite the ticket being much more at time of booking.

For more details see the dedicated thread: https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/brit...ange-ba-9.html
alex67500 likes this.
Old Sep 30, 2019, 6:20 am

Programs: Mucci, BAEC, Eurostar
In this case it will not be possible as SDC is only on standalone CE bookings, not on CE flights that are part of another booking (i.e. connection to/from a long haul flight)
Actually it's the return leg so my DUB-LHR is point-to-point, so it might work.

It is best to check this, but I think originally it was allowed but they changed it as too many people were booking to the cheapest airport (LGW for example) and changing to LHR on the day for free despite the ticket being much more at time of booking.

For more details see the dedicated thread: https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/brit...ange-ba-9.html
I thought that might be the case, I'll see on the day. It doesn't change much all in all.

Thanks for the answers!
Old Sep 30, 2019, 6:37 am
Moderator, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges, and Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold; Flying Blue Life Platinum; LH Sen.; Hilton Diamond; Kemal Kebabs Prized Customer
Yes, just to take it further, having accepting a POUG you have the option, on the day of travel of removing the POUG and reverting back to the original fare conditions. Which thus allows SDC based on ET class of travel. There are a few reports along the bank error in your favour category but I'll leave it like that. There wouldn't be a refund of POUG whatever happens. The other thing that can happen is there is a general SDC facilitation announcement, notably for departing LHR on bad weather days, which effectively allows the SDC with no adverse implications.
Old Sep 30, 2019, 8:24 am

Programs: BA Gold, Honors Gold
Any reason that an I class ticket with a BA flight number but operated by IB would be ineligible for SDC?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.