Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

Same Day Changes (SDC) and Free Change on the Day (FCOD) on BA tickets

Same Day Changes (SDC) and Free Change on the Day (FCOD) on BA tickets

Hide Wikipost
Old Feb 26, 20, 2:08 am   -   Wikipost
Please read: This is a community-maintained wiki post containing the most important information from this thread. You may edit the Wiki once you have been on FT for 90 days and have made 90 posts.

Last edit by: alp67
Wiki Link
Same Day Change (SDC) is known as Free Change on the Day (FCOD) within BA. It is available on Plus and CE revenue tickets, single and return, so long as they are not complicated. It is not available on Avios tickets, redemption tickets issued to other frequent flyer schemes, to open jaw tickets, on carriage (tickets with connections) or any other sort of complexity. Also previously changing a ticket with SDC (FCOD) may make it ineligible for SDC, for example if it now becomes open jaw.

You can change the ticket online, via the Contact Centre or at the airport, but see the thread for details and experiences. You can change only after local midnight for the leg concerned, and only on to another flight on the same route, you can't switch arrival or departure airport at all. If you want to switch a LHR-NCE to LGW-NCE you would have to pay the fare difference and change fee, though in that example it wouldn't necessarily be a huge cost. If there is bad weather or operational problems BA may allow SDC/FCOD anyway, and that does allow a change to airports.
Print Wikipost

Old Dec 12, 18, 8:39 am

Programs: BA Blue
Just wanted to add my experiences of same day changes.

Had a flight from LHR to EDI in August and booked the cheapest option with a bag. Flight was scheduled for about 7pm but some years ago I had managed to move to an earlier flight at Gatwick by asking at the desk so turned up at the airport (about 1pm) hoping for the same luck again. Queues were ridiculous so ended up calling the customer services line and got through after a couple of minutes. Explained that I was already at the airport and would it be possible to move to an earlier flight stressing that I would only like to change if it was free and within 5 minutes the agent sorted it out. Ended up getting home about 4 hours earlier by getting the 3pm flight.
Old Dec 12, 18, 8:49 am
Moderator, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges, and Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold; Flying Blue Life Platinum; LH Sen.; Hilton Diamond; Kemal Kebabs Prized Customer
Originally Posted by flatlander View Post
Changing my FF number to the BAEC number via the Finnair website worked immediately, and then I was able to do the SDC. So, SDC without BAEC number seems not to work in some cases, but the Finnair website does help.
There is a good reason why this worked. Upthread I've made some comments about either using BA.com or if using the App, login via the Avios side as well, then try SDC. If changing a non BA channel ticket, you need to pass "Know Your Customer", so a corporate ticket issued to you, showing in BA.com after a full login, will pass that test. If you had another frequent flyer card on it, and/or you used the App without a full login, then you would fail that test. What you effectively did was to align your ticket and BAEC personality to give sufficient reassurance that you were in tthe right place. When SDC was first allowed, you may recall that BA started asking for passport numbers for non BA tickets - it was all part of that same Know Your Customer. There are some boring legal aspects behind this. You could have just rung BA instead or walked it past an agent at check-in.
Old Dec 12, 18, 8:52 am
Moderator, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges, and Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold; Flying Blue Life Platinum; LH Sen.; Hilton Diamond; Kemal Kebabs Prized Customer
Originally Posted by Pads View Post
Just wanted to add my experiences of same day changes.
Welcome to the BA forum Pads, it's good to see you here and I hope that you will continue to participate on Flyertalk, welcome on board.

It sounds like you had a Plus ticket, most point to point tickets with a checked baggage allowance are Plus tickets now, but it was good you saved yourself a queue. It should also have been possible to change it via the BA App, that tends to work in my experience.
Old Dec 12, 18, 9:20 am

Programs: AA Lifetime Gold 1MM, BA Gold, UA Peon
Originally Posted by corporate-wage-slave View Post
There is a good reason why this worked. Upthread I've made some comments about either using BA.com or if using the App, login via the Avios side as well, then try SDC. If changing a non BA channel ticket, you need to pass "Know Your Customer", so a corporate ticket issued to you, showing in BA.com after a full login, will pass that test. If you had another frequent flyer card on it, and/or you used the App without a full login, then you would fail that test. What you effectively did was to align your ticket and BAEC personality to give sufficient reassurance that you were in tthe right place. When SDC was first allowed, you may recall that BA started asking for passport numbers for non BA tickets - it was all part of that same Know Your Customer. There are some boring legal aspects behind this. You could have just rung BA instead or walked it past an agent at check-in.
Yes, I see, that does agree with my observations, thanks for the background info. Although to be clear, I was logged in to ba.com when I tried the first time. What really seemed to matter in this case was having my BAEC number on the ticket.

No time to phone earlier today, and I didn't want to risk the availability disappearing, hence I used online options. But it's good to know that phoning works too.

Last edited by flatlander; Dec 12, 18 at 10:32 am
Old Dec 15, 18, 1:32 am

Hey all!

I'm trying to understand how this works? I'm booked on CE and was thinking to change to my earlier flight that flies out at 8am instead of 12. (there are 3 flights per day from BLQ to LHR)
Do I have to call BA? or can I change it online? and more than anything, does it mean I have do try after midnight on the same day?
Old Dec 15, 18, 1:52 am

Programs: BAEC - Silver
Go onto MMB after midnight on the day of travel. Click on change booking, select same date, change fee should be 0.
xmrbrightside89 likes this.
Old Dec 19, 18, 1:41 am

Originally Posted by TheFlyingCyclist View Post
Go onto MMB after midnight on the day of travel. Click on change booking, select same date, change fee should be 0.
I tried to do a dummy change (mainly because i was looking to change the date, i know you need to pay for that) and noticed on the same day, it just shows my flight time. Is it because it only unlocks the different times option at midnight the day of departure, or is it because there aren't seats in those flights? (It seems unlikely)

And also, is there any point to maybe call to see how likely it is to get it changed? I mean, if they know if the flight is full or if it will be successful to get the time change?

Sorry about all these questions, this is my first time trying to change the time
Old Dec 19, 18, 1:50 am

Originally Posted by xmrbrightside89 View Post
I tried to do a dummy change (mainly because i was looking to change the date, i know you need to pay for that) and noticed on the same day, it just shows my flight time. Is it because it only unlocks the different times option at midnight the day of departure, or is it because there aren't seats in those flights? (It seems unlikely)

And also, is there any point to maybe call to see how likely it is to get it changed? I mean, if they know if the flight is full or if it will be successful to get the time change?
Can you buy a revenue ticket on the alternative flights you are interested in? If it's a silly fare, or not on sale at all, then it may indeed be sold out at the moment, but equally this tends to rapidly change in the hours before departure. One key activity is for the computer to clear our obvious duplicate bookings and offline cancellations. But yes when you pass midnight it will show all those flights that are available to you, and if a flight is full it won't show the line. A quick check of ExpertFlyer for the relevant Point of Sale tends to provide the backup information. I can't think of a reason to call up, unless you want the confirmation of a flight change now, and prepared to pay for it, and know there are seats and can't do it online.
Old Dec 19, 18, 2:04 am

Originally Posted by corporate-wage-slave View Post
Can you buy a revenue ticket on the alternative flights you are interested in? If it's a silly fare, or not on sale at all, then it may indeed be sold out at the moment, but equally this tends to rapidly change in the hours before departure. One key activity is for the computer to clear our obvious duplicate bookings and offline cancellations. But yes when you pass midnight it will show all those flights that are available to you, and if a flight is full it won't show the line. A quick check of ExpertFlyer for the relevant Point of Sale tends to provide the backup information. I can't think of a reason to call up, unless you want the confirmation of a flight change now, and prepared to pay for it, and know there are seats and can't do it online.
I tried to look to buy the ticket in CE (my class) for the 7.45 am flight and it does say 3 available at the lowest price. So I think they must still have seats but possibly only because they can move up and down the curtain in CE?
Old Dec 19, 18, 2:20 am

I tried to look to buy the ticket in CE (my class) for the 7.45 am flight and it does say 3 available at the lowest price. So I think they must still have seats but possibly only because they can move up and down the curtain in CE?
Indeed moving the curtain is one of the things that can create space. It's a judgement call, you can look at EF (or ask in the relevant thread) and/or do dummy bookings to see how full the aircraft is, but if it was running out of seats then usually you'd see a silly fare and 1 available, so in the absence of more information to say otherwise, you don't appear to be in that logic.
Old Dec 19, 18, 3:07 am

I might have to ask on the EF thread to double check. either way, it's the BLQ/LHR route, it usually isn't a mega busy or rather, there are busiest flight routes that's for sure.
Old Dec 19, 18, 4:32 am

Programs: BAEC Silver, Miles and More(FTL), IHG(Platinum), Accor, HHonors(Diamond), SPG, Hertz Five Star
As usual my online tools would not allow me to change my recent booking so a phone call to change by ticket when uk call centre opened at 07:30.

this resulted in being told that although my ticket qualified for same day change, the same fare bucket was not available so i would have to pay 60quid.

i politely reminded the agent that the fare bucket was irrelevant, all we needed was space available in economy.

another few minutes on hold and i was told i was being move to the new flight as requested but to stay out of the booking for about 1 hour.

about 1 hour later my app updated with the new flight details

Last edited by scottishpoet; Dec 19, 18 at 5:59 am
Old Dec 19, 18, 3:00 pm

Programs: Mucci, BA
I might have to ask on the EF thread to double check. either way, it's the BLQ/LHR route, it usually isn't a mega busy or rather, there are busiest flight routes that's for sure.
Don't forget you will almost certainly not have a meal loaded (though a pax may well pass on their own).
Old Dec 19, 18, 4:39 pm

I've tried to change the time as it's now midnight in italy, doesn't seem that I'm able to do it....and the phone center is closed now.

I tried to do a reward flight tho, and it shows that I can have a seat in business tomorrow on all 3 flights. very odd.

Any suggestions? should I just give up?
Old Dec 19, 18, 4:44 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Mucci. Nothing else matters.
Any suggestions?
Try again after midnight GMT/UTC?

Search this Thread
Search Engine: