Community
Wiki Posts
Search

FLY and blocked seats

Search this Thread

Old Jun 11, 2016, 2:04 am
Original Poster

Programs: BA Silver, MUCCI des Soins Medicaux, Le médecin personnel à PUCCI GALORE
FLY and blocked seats

On the new system is there any way to check if 1AK are actually occupied or just blocked, as I have dropped down to Silver now and can't select? Both seats white on the seat map at present.

This is the 177 on 15th June if anyone has access to the seat map - my understanding is that expert flyer is no good for identifying if these seats come available at T-72 with the new departure control system.

Also on that note, is it exactly T-72 i.e. 1310hrs tomorrow or the morning of the third day they come up as selectable to the hoi polloi? I've read conflicting reports here.

Thanks
Old Jun 11, 2016, 2:12 am
Moderator, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges, and Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold; Flying Blue Life Platinum; LH Sen.; Hilton Diamond; Kemal Kebabs Prized Customer
I doubt that has come under the control of FLY yet. I believe 1A and 1K are already taken, unfortunately, the Blocked versus Occupied distinction is still there for other flights that day, e.g. BA 175, where they are Blocked, whereas BA177 it seems to be Occupied.

It's not exactly 72 hours. There seems to be a scheduling task involved which means somewhere around lunch time, 11:00 to 14:00 hrs London time, all the flights in the approximate 72 hour timeframe get released. Sometimes its 96 hours, particularly around public holidays, and quite frequently at the moment it's 48 hours (round terms through out).

Incidentally this is LHR to JFK, and it's always great to mention the route, some of us haven't yet managed to memorise all the flights!
Old Jun 11, 2016, 3:15 am
Original Poster

Programs: BA Silver, MUCCI des Soins Medicaux, Le médecin personnel à PUCCI GALORE
Originally Posted by corporate-wage-slave
Incidentally this is LHR to JFK, and it's always great to mention the route, some of us haven't yet managed to memorise all the flights!
I bet you know most of them though!

Thanks

PS: How can you tell blocked vs occupied? I thought that EF doesn't do this?
Old Jun 11, 2016, 3:45 am
Moderator, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges, and Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold; Flying Blue Life Platinum; LH Sen.; Hilton Diamond; Kemal Kebabs Prized Customer
Originally Posted by badoc
PS: How can you tell blocked vs occupied? I thought that EF doesn't do this?
EF does makes this distinction. Occupied is solid blue, Blocked has a white cross in the middle.
Old Jun 11, 2016, 5:30 am

Programs: Seniors Bus Pass
[cough] time to adjust your profile [cough]
Old Jun 12, 2016, 10:23 am
Original Poster

So this morning at 1145hrs I got an EF alert saying that 1A was free to select. Went straight to seat map but had already gone so either someone beat me to it - no drama as only wanted 1AK as a pair anyway as there are four of us. But it made me think that they were perhaps not occupied, even though EF suggested this. Not sure if this is a new development or not as I though with EF it differentiated between blocked and occupied. I know that CWS said it looked as if they were occupied but then why would I have had the EF alert? Odd...
Old Jun 12, 2016, 10:29 am

Originally Posted by badoc
. I know that CWS said it looked as if they were occupied but then why would I have had the EF alert? Odd...
Someone playing around with their seating, flights? Someone at BA adjusting a few passengers around? The EF alert isn't real time, incidentally, it's on some sort of batch job.

At the moment 1A is available to Golds, 1K is taken.
Old Jun 12, 2016, 2:05 pm
Original Poster

Someone playing around with their seating, flights? Someone at BA adjusting a few passengers around? The EF alert isn't real time, incidentally, it's on some sort of batch job.

At the moment 1A is available to Golds, 1K is taken.
I thought at T-72 then it was a free-for-all in F?

(Though why BA should particularly single the most ancient, though beloved, aircraft out as having GCH-only available seats is beyond me!)
Old Jun 12, 2016, 2:09 pm
Original Poster

Just got 1A and 2A, 2K and 3K. Funny as was not able to do that earlier...
Old Jun 12, 2016, 3:17 pm

Programs: British Airways Executive Club Gold, Global Entry
EF does makes this distinction. Occupied is solid blue, Blocked has a white cross in the middle.
Not always the case.

I'm booked onto a LHR-JFK flight in sept for instance (J 747 UD), EF shows 62 j,k as available, whereas they are blocked for me in MMB (I'm bronze). But EF does show some of the other blocked seats, e.g. 64A as blocked with the white cross.

FB9
Old Jun 12, 2016, 3:21 pm

Originally Posted by FeedbirdNiner
Not always the case.

I'm booked onto a LHR-JFK flight in sept for instance (J 747 UD), EF shows 62 j,k as available, whereas they are blocked for me in MMB (I'm bronze). But EF does show some of the other blocked seats, e.g. 64A as blocked with the white cross.
64A is blocked as a bassinet seat, that's normal. I'd have to know the flight number and date to see why your seats are showing as available, but there is time lag on EF, which may explain that.
Old Jun 12, 2016, 5:29 pm

Programs: BA- blue, BD,DL
I've noticed that shortly before departure ?the day before, all empty seats suddenly show as blocked on expert flyer.
Old Jun 13, 2016, 12:49 pm

64A is blocked as a bassinet seat, that's normal. I'd have to know the flight number and date to see why your seats are showing as available, but there is time lag on EF, which may explain that.
The complication here is the term 'blocked'. Row 62 shows as unavailable to me in MMB because I don't have the status to select it. I would call that 'blocked' as it's not occupied, just blocked to me.

I can see that it's not occupied in EF and if I do a flexible ticket reservation without logging in and get to the seat map in ba.com.

So the point I was making is that EF does not always show when a seat is 'blocked'.

Could be a terminology thing.

BA115 13/9/16. LHR-JFK. Would like to move into 62, but I fail the status check!
Old Jun 13, 2016, 12:58 pm

Originally Posted by FeedbirdNiner
Could be a terminology thing.

BA115 13/9/16. LHR-JFK. Would like to move into 62, but I fail the status check!
Yes, possibly this is terminology. This is what I see in EF:

LHR to JFK on 09/13/16
BA flight 115 in Business/Club

Now "Blocked" is 64A as normal, 62A+C Occupied, but not the other side. I would say a happy couple have already booked it. It's such a long way off, mind, that anything could happen, and for all the posturing on EF, all the UD seats are very similar and perfectly acceptable on a day flight.
Attached Images  
Old Jun 13, 2016, 5:23 pm

Yes, possibly this is terminology. This is what I see in EF:

LHR to JFK on 09/13/16
BA flight 115 in Business/Club

Now "Blocked" is 64A as normal, 62A+C Occupied, but not the other side. I would say a happy couple have already booked it. It's such a long way off, mind, that anything could happen, and for all the posturing on EF, all the UD seats are very similar and perfectly acceptable on a day flight.
That's also what I see in EF, but in my MMB I cannot access 62KJ:

As you note, not a big issue really - just interested the system.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.