FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   British Airways | Executive Club (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/british-airways-executive-club-446/)
-   -   Problems in JER (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/british-airways-executive-club/1770848-problems-jer.html)

peck Jun 7, 2016 12:22 pm

Problems in JER

Hi folks,

I've not had too much luck on my OW travels of late. Currently sat in the JER lounge staring at thick fog. This combined with the earlier problems at Gatters mean it looks like I won't be getting off the island today.

I remember reading on here it would likely be ok for me to select a reasonable local hotel, pay for it and then claim it back afterwards. Is that OK?

What fun!

KARFA Jun 7, 2016 12:30 pm

Yes doesn't look like anything can land.

EGJJ 071820Z 30007KT 0300 R26/0350 FG BKN000 13/12 Q1024 TEMPO 0500
I don't think JER is CAT III and the RVR above is well below the minimum.

peck Jun 7, 2016 12:31 pm

Originally Posted by KARFA (Post 26743632)
Yes doesn't look like anything can land.

I don't think JER is CAT III and the RVR above is well below the minimum.

Bugger. But thanks for the info KARFA

Waterhorse Jun 7, 2016 1:03 pm

JER is only Cat 1 so the decision height is approx 200 feet above the airfield and the normal RVR requirement is 550m for a CAT 1.

The airfield is known for collecting cap cloud as the moist air from over the water is forced up the cliff and leads to a persistent low clod over the runways.

T8191 Jun 7, 2016 1:03 pm

Good heavens ... it's that airport on the hill again. Sunny and blue skies on the edge of St Helier.

http://www.gov.je/Weather/Pages/webcam.aspx

My sympathies, peck

Manx Flyer Jun 7, 2016 1:20 pm

The IoM can be a bit like that too. The airport (down on the southern coast) can be under fog and the rest of the Island in bright sunlight. More often the case in the spring months though.

Cheers

Manx Flyer

peck Jun 7, 2016 1:38 pm

Yep all flights cancelled. We were lucky to be pretty near the front of the queue for rebooking and hotels in the end. Feel for the poor folks in the snake around the terminal

Skipcool3 Jun 7, 2016 2:00 pm

Do BA pay for overnight due to weather?

peck Jun 7, 2016 2:09 pm

Originally Posted by Skipcool3 (Post 26744068)

They have done here. I must admit after I'd posted my original query I suddenly thought that maybe they wouldn't. But I do have decent travel insurance which I'm certain would have covered me had they not

kauppias Jun 7, 2016 2:17 pm

Eu261 duty of care applies in wheather situations as well :)

Physci Jun 7, 2016 3:01 pm

Originally Posted by peck (Post 26743589)
Hi folks,

Currently sat in the JER lounge staring at thick fog.

Sounds like Uncle T has got the BBQ out .... ;)

HighlandPark Jun 7, 2016 3:06 pm

Originally Posted by peck (Post 26743589)
I remember reading on here it would likely be ok for me to select a reasonable local hotel, pay for it and then claim it back afterwards. Is that OK?

Be very careful about that. I was due to fly from Inverness to London with BA recently but the flight was cancelled. I was told the previous afternoon, but the only option offered online was to fly the day after the one I was scheduled to fly. As I had to get back to London for work I ended up booking a train ticket and I assumed that BA would reimburse me. But I didn't check with them before I booked, and they are now refusing to pay for the ticket and have also refused my claim for cancellation compensation under EU Regulation 261/2004, citing extraordinary circumstances. So I have ended up about £100 out of pocket. Not the end of the world, although it is a bit annoying, and the lesson I have taken away from it is that it's best to check first that they will cover the cost before making your own arrangements.

Basi1 Jun 7, 2016 3:08 pm

Originally Posted by T8191 (Post 26743784)
Good heavens ... it's that airport on the hill again. Sunny and blue skies on the edge of St Helier.

http://www.gov.je/Weather/Pages/webcam.aspx

My sympathies, peck

I was very confused earlier why I kept seeing the same FlyBE / Blue Islands plane overhead in the glorious sunshine in St Helier before eventually realising it was circling due to fog.

There was the occasional plane lining up to have a go but mostly unsuccessful!

When driving home it was amazing how you got to the top of the hill in St Aubin and there was just fog everywhere. Looking out the window now however and it seems to have cleared again!

Basi1 Jun 7, 2016 3:11 pm

Originally Posted by Skipcool3 (Post 26744068)

Please correct me if I'm wrong but recently when there have been cancellations due to fog, if the plane hasn't left or made an attempt then you have to fend for yourself but if you take off and have to return then they have provided accommodation.

Has anyone else experienced this?

KeaneJohn Jun 7, 2016 3:18 pm

I lived and worked in Jersey for 2 years and the team then were pretty efficient at dealing with rebooking and cancelled flights. I would simply head back home and come back later.. If they had a backlog of people they would rebook into other airports.. I was usually pretty flexible if I had no plans and would fly anywhere and they would give me a train ticket to my destination stick me in the lounge and often upgrade me on a later flight. I was a lowly Blue then.