BA to move to new Terminal 2 at Cairo

Old Jun 7, 16, 7:22 am
Original Poster

Programs: A3 Gold
BA to move to new Terminal 2 at Cairo

While in Cairo recently, I walked through the partially complete Terminal 2 building while on my way to the Automated People Mover between Terminal 2/3 - Terminal 1. The shell of the building is fully complete and the interior fit-out of checkout desks, etc seems to be going well (some of the desks/automated checkins seemed complete, while others seemed most of the way there). It seems there were plans for a "soft launch" in March of this year - although that was missed, it looked possible it could be ready for passengers within a couple of months.

Looking online, it seems that BA is one of the airlines planned to move across:
http://www.trbusiness.com/regional-n...cairo-t2/97408

Cairo Terminal 2 is certainly nothing like the existing Terminal 1. It's much more similar to the (far superior) Terminal 3 that its adjacent to. It will be a big benefit to BA Cairo flights if/when the move happens.

Has anyone heard/seen anything from BA about potential timings for their move? Or indeed, any source to confirm this is planned for them? I've looked around but I can't find anything.
Old Jun 10, 16, 3:36 am

Programs: BAEC Gold [>20k Lifetime TPs] | Hilton Honors Lifetime Diamond [as is Mrs PtF] | Various Others
itfcfan - thanks for your post.

If I may just clarify one point - for BA it's not so much a move to Terminal 2 as a return to Terminal 2, from where BA used to operate for many years until the closure of that terminal. It's been so long ago now I can't remember exactly when it was closed - 2010 possibly?
Old Jun 10, 16, 4:50 am

Location: usually somewhere between 30000 and 40000 feet...but actually the English countryside
Programs: BA GGL CCR/Lifetime Gold, EK Gold, Lowly M&M, Starriott PPE, Hhonors Diamond, numerous others
It was early 2010 it closed.
Will be interesting to see how it links with T3 given the schlep from T1 currently to the T3 Meridien and the hassle all that involves especially with the late arrival of the LHR-CAI flight.
Old Jun 10, 16, 7:46 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Phil the Flyer View Post
itfcfan - thanks for your post.

If I may just clarify one point - for BA it's not so much a move to Terminal 2 as a return to Terminal 2, from where BA used to operate for many years until the closure of that terminal. It's been so long ago now I can't remember exactly when it was closed - 2010 possibly?
That's interesting. I usually fly EgyptAir, so haven't got much knowledge of BA operations in Cairo. With the change to 787s operating LHR-CAI and a return to a (now) decent terminal, I'd welcome more options.

Where was the old T2 located? Was it physically located adjacent to T3? From what I can tell, the new T2 has been constructed from scratch (if anything was on the same site before, its been completely demolished).
Old Jun 10, 16, 7:57 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Beano HK View Post
It was early 2010 it closed.
Will be interesting to see how it links with T3 given the schlep from T1 currently to the T3 Meridien and the hassle all that involves especially with the late arrival of the LHR-CAI flight.
The new T2 is directly adjacent to T3 - less than 10 metres separate the buildings. I walked from T3 departures level (at the end where EU/US departures have their checkins) and followed a sign to the APM. The route to the APM took me on a sloping path down next to T3 (in the gap between T3-T2) and entered T2 on the side adjacent to T3. From that part of T2, it'd be a ~3minute walk to the domestic check-in side of T3 where the link bridge to Le Meridien.

They're a bit over the top trying to prevent entry to arrivals/departures recently, but it should be no problem to enter departures as long as you don't pass the security before the check-in desks. So it should be easy enough to use the T3 link bridge to Le Meridien, coming from T2.

As an aside - the APM is quite unusual in that it contains two separate cars, locked from one another and stopping in different areas of the T2/T1 stations separated by a locked door. I understand that the car that isn't accessible from the public areas is an air-side transfer route. When I took the APM (mid-afternoon on a Saturday) it was running every 30mins. I was quite surprised to see half a dozen other people get on board (I'd rarely seen it running when I was at the airport before and I didn't think anyone used it). I don't think it'd be possible to run it any more frequently with the current design, because it's a single track and end-to-end travel time is ~12mins.
Old Jun 10, 16, 9:16 am
TPJ

Programs: TK*G (E+), AA OWS (Plat Pro), EY Silver (compted), IHG Plat Ambassador
Hopefully lounges at T2 will be better than the T3 lounges (but I think anything would be better than current T1 options).

Just asking and not trying to be a troll - would it be legally possible to have a lounge in CAI that serves booze?
Old Jun 10, 16, 12:19 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by TPJ View Post
Hopefully lounges at T2 will be better than the T3 lounges (but I think anything would be better than current T1 options).

Just asking and not trying to be a troll - would it be legally possible to have a lounge in CAI that serves booze?
I don't see why it'd be a legal issue preventing alcohol being served in a Cairo lounge. Plenty of hotels (and restaurants, although far from a majority) serve alcohol in Cairo - I don't think licensing should be impossible. As I understand it, Egyptair are responsible for the operation of all terminals in Cairo and its their company policy not to serve alcohol on the airlines or in the terminals.

T3 lounges are a big improvement than what's available in T1. Now they no longer have non-stop passenger announcements, I don't find them too bad. There's a fair amount of capacity (even if it does sometimes mean checking out a different lounge than the closest to your gate). The easiest improvement I'd like to see is the food offering, which currently is rarely appetising! I wouldn't hold my breath on an improvement on this for T2...
Old Jun 14, 16, 2:20 am
Original Poster

The latest news I've seen is that Terminal 2 is due to "begin operations" on 30th June (2016):
http://enterprise.press/stories/2016...ns-on-30-june/

Only a couple of weeks to wait to see if this target is hit.
Old Jul 18, 16, 3:46 am
Original Poster

I haven't heard any news on whether the 30th June date for operations beginning at T2 was hit.

However, I have seen photos published of T2 from an unlikely source:
http://www.reducedmobility.eu/201606...-accessibility
Old Jul 27, 16, 9:57 am

Programs: BAEC Gold [>20k Lifetime TPs] | Hilton Honors Lifetime Diamond [as is Mrs PtF] | Various Others
It looks as if the opening isn't too far away:

http://www.egyptindependent.com//new...ved-terminal-2

Looking forward to BA moving back into the terminal it vacated six years ago.
Old Sep 6, 16, 11:39 am

Location: usually somewhere between 30000 and 40000 feet...but actually the English countryside
Programs: BA GGL CCR/Lifetime Gold, EK Gold, Lowly M&M, Starriott PPE, Hhonors Diamond, numerous others
Originally Posted by Phil the Flyer View Post
It looks as if the opening isn't too far away:

http://www.egyptindependent.com//new...ved-terminal-2

Looking forward to BA moving back into the terminal it vacated six years ago.
Apparently it's now "this month"...
Old Sep 6, 16, 2:05 pm

Programs: BA Gold, HHonors Gold, Marriott Silver
Interesting... I fly LHR-CAI on 24th Sept.
Still showing as T1.
Old Sep 6, 16, 4:17 pm

Programs: BAEC Gold, AMEX Plat and all that comes with it.
Used to do LHR-CAI weekly. From memory it was a bus only terminal? I also flew into the old T2 but can't remember if this had/will have air gates?

On a side note - the 'VISA' situation always made me giggle. So many first time arrivals without a clue they need to go to a bank before getting through security...no signs either, all very Egyptian.
Old Sep 6, 16, 4:48 pm

I knew I should have been clearer! T2 is supposed to open in September, I have no idea when, or if, BA will move.

I do feel sorry for some folks who rush straight to the immigration line not realising they need a visa when they are turned round at the desk.

I was warned this week about changing currency with the authorities really clamping down now on illegal money changers. At an official rate of 8:1 compared to 12:1 on the black market, it's tempting though...

I bought 2 visas last time in so always have a spare now.
Old Sep 6, 16, 5:12 pm
Moderator, Emirates

Programs: BAEC Silver, EK Blue
Originally Posted by FLT001 View Post
Used to do LHR-CAI weekly. From memory it was a bus only terminal? I also flew into the old T2 but can't remember if this had/will have air gates?

On a side note - the 'VISA' situation always made me giggle. So many first time arrivals without a clue they need to go to a bank before getting through security...no signs either, all very Egyptian.
Terminal 1 where BA were moved to when T2 closed is an all bussing terminal. Terminal 2 did have air bridges and was designed in a circular structure and as far as I recall only had seven airbridges.

Reading one of the quoted articles earlier, it says that T2 will be A380 ready, so can only assume that it does have airbridges.

Safe & Happy Travels

S

Search this Thread
Search Engine: