Community
Wiki Posts
Search

New Club World (Genuinely something new)

Search this Thread

Old Mar 8, 2019, 2:07 pm
Moderator, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges, and Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold; Flying Blue Life Platinum; LH Sen.; Hilton Diamond; Kemal Kebabs Prized Customer
Originally Posted by hemschmall
About 3.5 years. The 747s were done in about half that IRRC, and the 777 refit was a bit of a slog.
I notice that Qatar's very interesting new Quadra 3 Economy seat (see reviews in Business Traveller and HfP, also Quadra) may take up to 8 years to implement. Clearly there are a lot of seats involved here, but equally one assumes a less difficult manufacturing task than a flat-bed business seat.
Old Mar 8, 2019, 2:26 pm

Programs: BAEC Blue, Flying Blue Silver, Hilton Gold, Marriot Gold
Originally Posted by Raffles

I am :-) Obviously the offer of free food and drink was irresistible to a student .....
Well i’m not too much older so i can agree!
Old Mar 8, 2019, 3:11 pm

Programs: BAEC
So (according to Cruz recent interviews) only a few weeks to go...

God help BA & FT
Old Mar 8, 2019, 3:13 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Gold, SQ Gold, KQ Platinum, IHG Diamond Ambassador, Hilton Gold, Marriott Silver, Accor Silver
My money's on a modified version of the VantageXL seat: https://www.thompsonaero.com/seating-range/vantagexl/

Qatar's Qsuite is based on this product, but extensively modified and customised with a door and orientation changes (forwards/backwards).
Old Mar 8, 2019, 3:39 pm

Originally Posted by gliderpilot
Out of interest. How long did it take to roll out the current Club World to the majority of the fleet (767s excepted)?
it was installed on the 787-9 fleet from entry into service although it is a second iteration but essentially the same seat inside.
Old Mar 8, 2019, 3:47 pm

Originally Posted by Genius1
My money's on a modified version of the VantageXL seat: https://www.thompsonaero.com/seating-range/vantagexl/

Qatar's Qsuite is based on this product, but extensively modified and customised with a door and orientation changes (forwards/backwards).
of course there’s always the fact that, unless I’m mistaken, Qsuite is not a Vantage based product.

Old Mar 8, 2019, 3:54 pm

I wonder if PriestmanGoode will be involved.
Old Mar 8, 2019, 3:58 pm

Made my home town! But I hope it isn't a version of this seat.

Last edited by noniron; Mar 8, 2019 at 4:32 pm
Old Mar 8, 2019, 4:10 pm
Moderator: British Airways Executive Club, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges and Environmentally Friendly Travel

Originally Posted by Purescotsman

of course there’s always the fact that, unless I’m mistaken, Qsuite is not a Vantage based product.

this Skift article published in Jan 2018 gave credit to B/E Aerospace
The Qsuite seats, developed by Qatar Air and B/E Aerospace Inc., are installed so that sets of four face each other to form a mini meeting area once barriers are dropped. Each berth can also dock with the one next to it to create what the carrier says is the industry’s first double bed in a business-class cabin.

Qatar Air has ownership of key elements of the design, which took two years to develop and has already been installed on some of its Boeing Co. 777 jets.
Old Mar 8, 2019, 4:13 pm

Originally Posted by Prospero
this Skift article published in Jan 2018 gave credit to B/E Aerospace
The Qsuite seats, developed by Qatar Air and B/E Aerospace Inc., are installed so that sets of four face each other to form a mini meeting area once barriers are dropped. Each berth can also dock with the one next to it to create what the carrier says is the industry’s first double bed in a business-class cabin.

Qatar Air has ownership of key elements of the design, which took two years to develop and has already been installed on some of its Boeing Co. 777 jets.
Glad I wasn’t mistaken then... they did/do design/build it ✈️💺
Old Mar 8, 2019, 6:39 pm
sxc
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Accor Contributor Badge

Programs: CX Green, QF Platinum, BAEC Silver, Hyatt Glob
Originally Posted by Purescotsman

Actually in the grand scheme of it, two years is just a part of the overall project for a premium seat.

whenever in the original product life cycle you might start, there would be about a year of design creation, ideas proposals and decisions etc,

on top of that there might be another 2 years of technical design stages including milestones such as ITCM, PDR and CDR. And a further year of testing and retesting and further revisions before it’s out the door.

So a total of 4 years is not unreasonable. Of course everything can move so much quicker if you’re Emirates or Etihad but the milestone meetings are usually at fixed intervals which are driven by FAA, EASA, Airbus and Boeing.

the only thing we can be sure of is that this one will make its debut on the first A350-1000 delivery.

This is my opinion and and anyone else’s whatsoever. 😜
Except in BAs case it seems like they wasted time (years?) developing their bespoke seat (ie the first post) and then threw it away in favour of a catalogue product.
Old Mar 8, 2019, 9:27 pm

No, the Qsuite isn't based on Thompson's Vantage XL platform – you may be thinking of the DeltaOne suite, which is a Vantage XL-derived design with a sliding door. The Qsuite was developed by Qatar + B/E Aerospace.
Old Mar 9, 2019, 1:09 am

Programs: BAEC Silver, Flying Blue Gold, TK M&S Nobody
Originally Posted by corporate-wage-slave
I notice that Qatar's very interesting new Quadra 3 Economy seat (see reviews in Business Traveller and HfP, also Quadra) may take up to 8 years to implement. Clearly there are a lot of seats involved here, but equally one assumes a less difficult manufacturing task than a flat-bed business seat.
That’s just slated to be done in the regular fleet refresh cycle, hence the timescale. One assumes NCW would be done as a higher priority than that, as a more flagship programme.
Old Mar 9, 2019, 4:44 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Four Seasons Contributor Badge

Programs: BA, VS, HH, IHG, MB, MR
Originally Posted by etiene
That’s just slated to be done in the regular fleet refresh cycle, hence the timescale. One assumes NCW would be done as a higher priority than that, as a more flagship programme.
3 seats per day max. Cruz reaffirmed this in a recent staff briefing.
Old Mar 9, 2019, 4:50 am

Programs: BA Gold
Originally Posted by Raffles

3 seats per day max. Cruz reaffirmed this in a recent staff briefing.
But have they been producing the seats for some time now, so they have a supply ready to be fitted? Or will they only begin after they announce it?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.