Community
Wiki Posts
Search

New Club World (Genuinely something new)

Search this Thread

Old Mar 8, 2019, 5:38 am

Wink Project times

Originally Posted by 13900
You're correct. In the current format, the New Club project has been alive for two-ish years.

Some would argue that this is too long a timeframe; I agree but with a caveat. It's not just about introducing a new seat, it's about selecting a seat and supplier, designing the bespoke applications, finding the right configuration for all the aircraft types based on current and future routes, then it's testing, certification... Plus let us not forget approvals. BA's financial approvals are long and painful and, the more expensive the project, the longer and more painful they become. I've only heard rough estimates for the cost of one fleet re-furb: the cost was enough to buy several Cristiano Ronaldos (Air France is paying 170m USD for the refurbishment of 15 330s). In these cases the approval is not just done by the applicable committee and BA Board, but also by IAG's.

All of the above is my opinion and not BA's.
Actually in the grand scheme of it, two years is just a part of the overall project for a premium seat.

whenever in the original product life cycle you might start, there would be about a year of design creation, ideas proposals and decisions etc,

on top of that there might be another 2 years of technical design stages including milestones such as ITCM, PDR and CDR. And a further year of testing and retesting and further revisions before it’s out the door.

So a total of 4 years is not unreasonable. Of course everything can move so much quicker if you’re Emirates or Etihad but the milestone meetings are usually at fixed intervals which are driven by FAA, EASA, Airbus and Boeing.

the only thing we can be sure of is that this one will make its debut on the first A350-1000 delivery.

This is my opinion and and anyone else’s whatsoever. 😜
Old Mar 8, 2019, 5:51 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Four Seasons Contributor Badge

Programs: BA, VS, HH, IHG, MB, MR
I have my invitation now to the launch of the new Virgin Upper Class seat, so it looks like they will beat BA out of the traps.
Old Mar 8, 2019, 6:25 am

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold & GGL & CCR, HH Diam, Bonvoy Titanium, IHG Spire, Tastecard
Originally Posted by choosethedrew

I find this a very strange comment, almost like a justification for not bringing out a new seat sooner or faster.
Originally Posted by Cap'n Benj

You need to take I to account the context of his words.

It was an investor presentstion, he’s not justifying anything, just covering their backs if NPS drops, despite a new seat being rolled out.

Investors won’t be too happy if a big investment seems to be lowering NPS
The point about NPS is not that BA are worried that customers will not like the new seat (they think they will) but they are very wary of the United Polaris experience of promising a great new product which then took (and continues to take) years to roll out. So AC's comments were in the context of customers being disappointed when they don't get the new seat after details have been revealed / after the seat starts appearing on a small number of aircraft. So they are trying to be careful with the new seat not to overpromise and underdeliver as it will be years before the majority of passengers will see the new seat and they can't guarantee the new seat on certain routes (unlike high J new IFE) given lack of F cabin on the A350. A350 routes will be easy to plan / spot but the refurbished 777s will be a different story.
Old Mar 8, 2019, 6:42 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

This is actually positive, when you think about it. It means Cruz thinks the new seat is so great that people will be gutted to not get it ....
Old Mar 8, 2019, 7:45 am

Programs: BA Gold, A3 *Gold
Exactly - having been responsible for NPS at my company in the past I can confirm that customers not getting something they thought they were getting can be a huge driver of dissatisfaction. In general people are much more likely to fill out a survey if they are unhappy about something than they are when they are equally happy, that's just human nature. So I can totally see how NPS could take a nosedive despite a huge improvement in the product if most people aren't going to get that product.
Old Mar 8, 2019, 8:48 am

Programs: Meh
Originally Posted by Raffles
I have my invitation now to the launch of the new Virgin Upper Class seat, so it looks like they will beat BA out of the traps.
Might give BA the kick in the ... they need!
Old Mar 8, 2019, 9:03 am

Programs: BAEC Blue, Flying Blue Silver, Hilton Gold, Marriot Gold
Will you be sharing the date in tomorrows blog post?
Old Mar 8, 2019, 9:41 am

Programs: BA Gold4life, ICH RA, Hyatt Gold and others
Originally Posted by stevie
Might give BA the kick in the ... they need!
Well if it is a superior product to VS then BA will get the chance to pull some PR from it.....not holding my breath.
Old Mar 8, 2019, 10:10 am

Programs: Mucci, Diamond Status & on the Supreme Council des Conseillers, BA Ag, Bonvoy GFL/Plat, xVS Au
Out of interest. How long did it take to roll out the current Club World to the majority of the fleet (767s excepted)?
Old Mar 8, 2019, 11:05 am
Original Poster

Programs: BA
Originally Posted by gliderpilot
Out of interest. How long did it take to roll out the current Club World to the majority of the fleet (767s excepted)?
About 3.5 years. The 747s were done in about half that IRRC, and the 777 refit was a bit of a slog.
gliderpilot likes this.
Old Mar 8, 2019, 11:33 am

Programs: AA EXP and 1MM, UA 1K, HH Lifetime Diamond
This is actually positive, when you think about it. It means Cruz thinks the new seat is so great that people will be gutted to not get it ....
It would not take much to have a better business class seat than what is currently on offer, so not holding my breath for a great improvement.

I am lucky in that I was able to meet my needs and avoid flying BA long haul for the last three years. As someone who flies between 150K and 200K miles a year, the quality of the business class experience really matters. Club Europe for short flights is okay, but I have been able to find options with better seats for my long haul flights. Granted, I am not based in London so that provides me with more options. I feel sorry for the folks that continue to pay BA fares for what IMHO is an inferior product.
estate, rossmacd and SLGO like this.
Old Mar 8, 2019, 11:34 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by bmibaby737
No. But the launch is at the Head Office so we don't get to go on an A350. I am guessing they will be doing mock ups. Sounds like a heck of a party looking at the invite ..... which is a shame as we're on holiday in Fort William :-)
Old Mar 8, 2019, 12:39 pm

My hunch is the 8th April...
bmibaby737 likes this.
Old Mar 8, 2019, 1:15 pm

Programs: BAEC Blue, Flying Blue Silver, Hilton Gold, Marriot Gold

No. But the launch is at the Head Office so we don't get to go on an A350. I am guessing they will be doing mock ups. Sounds like a heck of a party looking at the invite ..... which is a shame as we're on holiday in Fort William :-)
Send your Intern!
Old Mar 8, 2019, 1:50 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Send your Intern!
I am :-) Obviously the offer of free food and drink was irresistible to a student .....

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.