Community
Wiki Posts
Search

New Club World (Genuinely something new)

Search this Thread

Old Mar 4, 2019, 4:40 am

Originally Posted by DieselYVR
Apologies if this has already been reported elsewhere but I noticed the following on MMB today when looking at a POUG offer:
  • More space, comfort and privacy in our seat that reclines to a fully flat bed or to the unique 'z bed', which offers a 6 feet 6 inches sleeping surface
That’s the existing seat, I’m pretty certain.
Old Mar 4, 2019, 4:46 am
Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club, easyJet and Ryanair

Programs: BA Gold (GGL/CCR)
Isn't the current Club World seat considered a 'z-bed'?
Old Mar 4, 2019, 4:52 am

Programs: BAEC Blue, Flying Blue Silver, Hilton Gold, Marriot Gold
Originally Posted by DieselYVR
Apologies if this has already been reported elsewhere but I noticed the following on MMB today when looking at a POUG offer:
  • More space, comfort and privacy in our seat that reclines to a fully flat bed or to the unique 'z bed', which offers a 6 feet 6 inches sleeping surface
Is the Z bed potentially reffering to the two seats in the middle combined together?
Old Mar 4, 2019, 4:54 am

Originally Posted by bmibaby737

Is the Z bed potentially reffering to the two seats in the middle combined together?
No, it’s when you have the seat in reclined (not flat) position and the footrest in angled position.
adrianlondon and bmibaby737 like this.
Old Mar 4, 2019, 5:18 am

Programs: BA Gold4life, ICH RA, Hyatt Gold and others
Originally Posted by Speedbird676
Anything that isn't saving money takes forever at BA!
Well in BA's defence, it is the seat manufacturers with very full order books who are struggling to manufacture seats at a rate that would enable an airline like BA with a large longhaul fleet of premium heavy(ish) seats to get a product roll out in anything other than a long timeline.
Old Mar 4, 2019, 5:26 am

Programs: BA Gold, KFC 'The Colonel's Club' Palladium tier, Mucci des Visions Célestes du Nord-Pas-de-Calais
Originally Posted by 13900
  • He fully expects NPS for Club to decline once the seat is announced, due to the disappointment of customers who expect to find it there but in fact don't. He mentioned United with its Polaris roll-out as an example
I find this a very strange comment, almost like a justification for not bringing out a new seat sooner or faster.
Old Mar 4, 2019, 6:09 am

Programs: Meh
Originally Posted by Mutu
Well in BA's defence, it is the seat manufacturers with very full order books who are struggling to manufacture seats at a rate that would enable an airline like BA with a large longhaul fleet of premium heavy(ish) seats to get a product roll out in anything other than a long timeline.
Not buying this. This thread is nearly 3 years old, and talk of a new CW seat must be going on 5 years......
Old Mar 4, 2019, 6:23 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Tobias-UK
Isn't the current Club World seat considered a 'z-bed'?
yup. The Z bed puff was out when the current seat was launched 10+ years ago.

The wording noted is very old news.
Old Mar 4, 2019, 6:49 am

Originally Posted by stevie
Not buying this. This thread is nearly 3 years old, and talk of a new CW seat must be going on 5 years......
well most of that time was internal BA deciding on the seat (even now there appear to be early rumours that the A350 will be fitted with an all aisle interim seat as the final sign off for the "real" new J suite still not finalised).

The seat manufacturer and WW have confirmed they can make 3 BA seats a day.......for the time being. So not quite a month for a single frame.

There are carriers out there who have made big fanfare announcements on new hard product only to then have to slow down roll outs for similar reasons.
Old Mar 4, 2019, 6:51 am

Programs: BA - Blue > Bronze > Silver > Bronze > Blue
Originally Posted by choosethedrew

I find this a very strange comment, almost like a justification for not bringing out a new seat sooner or faster.
You need to take I to account the context of his words.

It was an investor presentstion, he’s not justifying anything, just covering their backs if NPS drops, despite a new seat being rolled out.

Investors won’t be too happy if a big investment seems to be lowering NPS
Old Mar 4, 2019, 7:06 am

Programs: BAEC Gold, EK Skywards (enhanced Blue !), Oman Air Sindbad Gold
well most of that time was internal BA deciding on the seat (even now there appear to be early rumours that the A350 will be fitted with an all aisle interim seat as the final sign off for the "real" new J suite still not finalised).

Yep, the BA wheels sure do turn very slowly where significant innovation is concerned !

And long timescales seem to be a feature of far less complex projects too. Didn’t it take more than a year just to get some new blankets + pillows into CW .... ?

Old Mar 4, 2019, 8:21 am

Programs: BAEC
Does this rumour mean that whatever is revealed in a few weeks time is not the final J seat? Should we expect another J seat unveiling further in the near future?

Seems a bit odd, after almost 10 years to come up with something, to reveal a seat that isn’t finalised...
Old Mar 4, 2019, 9:02 am

well from memory, the original plan was close to the original post to this thread which was an all-aisle "further evolution" of the current seat. Then Cruz decided (again my memory) to can it and start with a more standard manufacturer shell plus some BA touches.

I also suspect the complexity and timing of the fleet replacement plan - which sees 787[-8,-9,-10]/350/380/772/77W/777x all in play - has had a timing impact as the LOPA economics need to work for each sub-fleet within that part of the network each fleet is primarily designed.

Clearly shrinking F is necessarily part of not losing too much J capacity from the addition of all aisle access etc.

Seat design is not independent of many other bigger factors - which also take time and which have been fluid for a while also.

I stress it is a rumour however but there is some logic to it.
Old Mar 4, 2019, 10:09 am

Programs: BAEC Blue, Flying Blue Silver, Hilton Gold, Marriot Gold
I think it got to the point where BA had to can it or risk falling seriously behind.
LimaWhiskey likes this.
Old Mar 4, 2019, 11:13 am

well from memory, the original plan was close to the original post to this thread which was an all-aisle "further evolution" of the current seat. Then Cruz decided (again my memory) to can it and start with a more standard manufacturer shell plus some BA touches.
You're correct. In the current format, the New Club project has been alive for two-ish years.

Some would argue that this is too long a timeframe; I agree but with a caveat. It's not just about introducing a new seat, it's about selecting a seat and supplier, designing the bespoke applications, finding the right configuration for all the aircraft types based on current and future routes, then it's testing, certification... Plus let us not forget approvals. BA's financial approvals are long and painful and, the more expensive the project, the longer and more painful they become. I've only heard rough estimates for the cost of one fleet re-furb: the cost was enough to buy several Cristiano Ronaldos (Air France is paying 170m USD for the refurbishment of 15 330s). In these cases the approval is not just done by the applicable committee and BA Board, but also by IAG's.

All of the above is my opinion and not BA's.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.