Community
Wiki Posts
Search

New Club World (Genuinely something new)

Search this Thread

Old Jan 8, 2018, 1:40 am

Well the indications here are that the patent was filed and then the idea promptly abandoned in favour of an off-the-shelf product.

I for one hope that's the case, as I simply cannot see how that patent design offers anything equivalent to the side space and storage of e.g. the AA/CX or IB seats.
orbitmic likes this.
Old Jan 8, 2018, 2:22 am

Programs: Some
Originally Posted by geosat
Most recent patent filing (oct 2017) seems to show ying yang plus a tv/foot box for the aisle seats - go to this page and select 'original document'. Not sure if posting the document directly here is permissible.

https://worldwide.espacenet.com/publicationDetails/biblio?FT=D&date=20171010&DB=EPODOC&locale=en_EP&C C=US&NR=D799226S&KC=S&ND=5
Hadn't seen this one - what a wonderfully poor piece of 'design'! Is basically a dial-it-in, let's just leave the design the same and update the finishes / ottoman. Let's hope this isn't it...

Last edited by lost_in_translation; Jan 8, 2018 at 2:33 am
Old Jan 8, 2018, 2:35 am

Programs: Mucci, BA Gold, TK Elite, HHonors Lifetime Diamond
Originally Posted by rossmacd
Why? Because there is a portion of contributors here that believe BA can do no wrong, and whatever BA provide is deemed to be the best of the best.
I am not aware of such contributors. There are many who try to understand why certain decisions are implemented and some are not and won't be, and who do not live in the bubble of their own perceptions of what air travel should be. But there is a very strong anti-BA bias on this forum. Reading other airlines' forums I am surprised how much other airlines 'get away with,' where BA would have been given the hardest of times. Also, reading other airlines' forums I find it funny how posters there complain about the same seats that posters here swear are the best ever. A little bit perspective is always a good thing. I, personally, do not view airlines as the best or the worst - they either meet my needs or they don't.
Old Jan 8, 2018, 2:43 am

Originally Posted by Andriyko
A little bit perspective is always a good thing. I, personally, do not view airlines as the best or the worst - they either meet my needs or they don't.
Of course, but your needs come across to me what is rather low expectations (my opinion, not designed to be controversial in any way ), but considering what I can get elsewhere, my expectations seem to be higher. That is just differences in what people expect, an no one can claim that people's expectations are wrong or invalid. However, when I (or my company) spend multiple thousands of $/Ł/€ on an air ticket, I will ensure that I get value for this cash outlay based on my expectations.
Old Jan 8, 2018, 2:44 am
Ambassador, British Airways; FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: BA GGL/CCR, GfL, HH Diamond
Most recent patent filing (oct 2017) seems to show ying yang plus a tv/foot box for the aisle seats - go to this page and select 'original document'. Not sure if posting the document directly here is permissible.

https://worldwide.espacenet.com/publ...226S&KC=S&ND=5

also this one from Oct 2016
https://worldwide.espacenet.com/publ...999S&KC=S&ND=4
these are registered designs (termed design patents in the US) which just protect the actual look of an article rather than any underlying invetion. The top one was actually filed in November 2015 and actually tracks back to a UK filing from February 2014, which seems well before BA are rumoured to have changed direction on the new CW seat.
Old Jan 8, 2018, 2:52 am

Programs: BAEC

https://worldwide.espacenet.com/publ...226S&KC=S&ND=5

also this one from Oct 2016
https://worldwide.espacenet.com/publ...999S&KC=S&ND=4
Both of these have been leaked before on Aus Biz Traveller site and elsewhere on here I’m sure. Patents get filed a lot. So I wouldn’t get too excited by these. Intact I think the 1st link here is the picture that Henschmall leaked 19 months ago, but slightly tweaked in design.

So I guess we will have to keep guessing and debating for now...
Old Jan 8, 2018, 2:55 am
Ambassador, British Airways; FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: BA GGL/CCR, GfL, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by rockflyertalk
Both of these have been leaked before on Aus Biz Traveller site and elsewhere on here I’m sure. Patents get filed a lot. So I wouldn’t get too excited by these. Intact I think the 1st link here is the picture that Henschmall leaked 19 months ago, but slightly tweaked in design.

So I guess we will have to keep guessing and debating for now...

when you say leaked, I think you mean published as patent applications in the normal way and someone spotted them on the public databases

definitely no leaking going on although BT and other publication/blogs will always pretend they have got something to show you which is somehow secret.
rockflyertalk likes this.
Old Jan 8, 2018, 3:06 am

Programs: BAEC
Originally Posted by KARFA

when you say leaked, I think you mean published as patent applications in the normal way and someone spotted them on the public databases

definitely no leaking going on although BT and other publication/blogs will always pretend they have got something to show you which is somehow secret.
Oops. Quite. I stand corrected. Thanks! Filed is the word. I guess ‘leaked’ just sounded more exciting for a grey Monday morning
KARFA likes this.
Old Jan 8, 2018, 3:30 am

Programs: BAEC Gold, EK Skywards (enhanced Blue !), Oman Air Sindbad Gold
Originally Posted by Oaxaca
Even Messrs Walsh and Cruz are making public statements that the CW seat is an uncompetitive product (that statement made over a year ago in Walsh's case). However, the extraordinary amount of time BA takes to make and implement any such decision is staggering.

Of course some people will prefer the existing seat, but as orbitmic and others pointed out, variants of 1-2-1 with aisle access for all, decently sized IFE screens and generally better personal and storage space, albeit some with enclosed areas for feet , are now the accepted standard, something that Walsh and Cruz have acknowledged. Change will come, but excruciatingly slowly, just look at the new CW catering / bedding rollout. That it can take more than 4 months to get new bedding onto more than one route beggars belief, at least to me.
This certainly put things into perspective, where the glacial-like pace of progress is concerned.

​​​​​​​
Old Jan 8, 2018, 3:46 am

Programs: LH SEN; BA Gold
Originally Posted by percysmith
Do people really complain about that? We've had 1-2-1 CX planes for here for 5 years now, this is a novel complaint at least to me...
Yes, apparently they do. Mainly coming from folks being used to 2-2-2, 2-3-2, or cabins alternating 1-2-1 and 2-2-1.
Old Jan 8, 2018, 3:52 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist, Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: AF/KL Life Plat, BA GGL+GfL, ALL Plat, Hilton Diam, Marriott Gold, blablablah, etc
Reading other airlines' forums I am surprised how much other airlines 'get away with
Also, reading other airlines' forums I find it funny how posters there complain about the same seats that posters here swear are the best ever.

Isn't there a bit of a contradiction between those two points? I mean either you consider that posters on the BA forum are meaner and more unfair than those on other fora for whatever reason (which would be a little bit odd to the extent that many of the regular BA posters are also contributors on the other fora that I am a regular on myself) so that other airlines do not get complaints where BA does, or you consider that BA posters do not realise that posters complain just as much about the products they deem preferable on the respective competitors fora so that really, people here are viewing CX J or the Q Suite (or the AF P or Swiss Y to look at other travel classes too) with rose tinted glasses because if they looked at those competitors' product discussions they would realise that regulars on CX, QR, AF, and LX really have has many problems with those products and services as they claim to have with the BA J, F, and Y products. I just find it hard to conceive how both things could be true at the same time though?
Old Jan 8, 2018, 4:16 am

I am not aware of such contributors. There are many who try to understand why certain decisions are implemented and some are not and won't be, and who do not live in the bubble of their own perceptions of what air travel should be. But there is a very strong anti-BA bias on this forum. Reading other airlines' forums I am surprised how much other airlines 'get away with,' where BA would have been given the hardest of times. Also, reading other airlines' forums I find it funny how posters there complain about the same seats that posters here swear are the best ever. A little bit perspective is always a good thing. I, personally, do not view airlines as the best or the worst - they either meet my needs or they don't.
There isn't an anti-BA bias. It's a reflection of the numerous and significant cuts to the service passengers receive, and to BA having fallen behind its competitors over a long period of time. It's that simple. When BA was innovating, by introducing the first flat beds in 1st class, or the first flat beds in business class, or the first premium economy cabin, and when its lounges were among the best, if not the best of their type, as they undoubtedly were, this forum was extremely positive about BA, and critical of the products offered by other airlines. AA used to get a real kicking ISTR. If BA improves, it will get a more favourable press. If, on the other hand, its innovation is confined to promising but failing to deliver a new blanket and pillow, it will continue to get a bad press.
orbitmic, rossmacd, wrp96 and 5 others like this.
Old Jan 8, 2018, 4:18 am

Programs: BA - Blue > Bronze > Silver > Bronze > Blue
Originally Posted by rossmacd
It will be mildly amusing to watch those who were so opposed to 'foot coffins' transform into enthusiasts, should this be the design that BA decide to (finally) implement
...And those who only ever criticise find something else to bleat about if BA suddenly have an identikit Cirrus!
rossmacd likes this.
Old Jan 8, 2018, 4:18 am

Programs: Mucci, BA Gold, TK Elite, HHonors Lifetime Diamond
Originally Posted by orbitmic

Isn't there a bit of a contradiction between those two points?
No, there is no contradiction between those two points. Reading other airlines' forums, I do believe that many posters here are unfair to BA and are very unresponsive to arguments running along the lines that air travel has its limitations, and that many do not realize (choose to ignore?) that posters there complain about the very same issues where they comment how great those other airlines are in situations where BA has failed them. BTW - I did not see many posters from here in the discussion of the irrops due to the icy conditions at DFW over on the AA forum, and was surprised how different and measured that (very short) discussion was compared to the lengthy one here. Nor do I see any posters from here convincing folks over there that they do not know what they are talking about when they complain about the new AA J seats. Nor do I see an outrage over what AA is doing to MCE. And, I cannot even count how many times I read 'race to the bottom' with respect to other (cherished here) airlines.

Originally Posted by Disco Volante
There isn't an anti-BA bias.
But there is. My post was not about where BA stands among other airlines with respect to the seat design or how many meals passengers get during the flight. Comparing the 'product' is a futile exercise as we all value different things. My post was about the fact that reactions to certain situations are so much different, and what meets a measured response on other forums is often met with fire and fury (yes, I chose these words deliberately) over here.

Last edited by Andriyko; Jan 8, 2018 at 4:34 am
Old Jan 8, 2018, 5:53 am

Originally Posted by KARFA

definitely no leaking going on
To be fair, the 1st picture here wasn't published anywhere before it was leaked on FT - and having seen a BA head honcho on the Sunday it was published, it didn't seem like they wanted the picture in the public domain.
KARFA and rockflyertalk like this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.