Community
Wiki Posts
Search

New Club World (Genuinely something new)

Search this Thread

Old Jun 5, 2016, 10:55 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: **Mucci Diamond Hairbrush** - compared to that nothing else matters (+BA Bronze)
Originally Posted by BA6501
That wasted space is often used by cupboards etc though.
That"s a bit difficult if you look at the seat maps for the Cirrus at the bulkhead.
I can't see how the foot coffin space at the rear can be utilised easily in that config.

Last edited by Jimmie76; Jun 5, 2016 at 11:26 am
Old Jun 5, 2016, 10:57 am
Moderator: British Airways Executive Club, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges and Environmentally Friendly Travel

Originally Posted by Jimmie76
The Cirrus design and most herringbone designs have a certain amount of wasted space at the bulkhead. It will be interesting to see the final BA layout and how much space is actually wasted. No foot coffin outweighs a lot of the potential downsides of the BA design.
Speculation Alert!

The following diagrams are hypothetical and for the purpose of illustrating my thinking. The blue tone indicates the displacement of cabin floor area:

Four class 777-236ER (77F)
This diagram shows the possibility of a full complement of CW Mark III seats resulting in a reduction of 16 WT+ seats:

This diagram is a product of the Prospero Skunk Works and should not be regarded as the final arrangement

This alternative diagram shows the possibility of a reduction of 8 CW Mark III seats resulting in an increase of 8 WT+ seats:

This diagram is a product of the Prospero Skunk Works and should not be regarded as the final arrangement

Current 777-236ER Club World layout:

You can clearly tell I'm having fun today

Last edited by Prospero; Jun 5, 2016 at 11:27 am Reason: add current 77F layout for comparison
Old Jun 5, 2016, 11:02 am

I love these diagrams! ^
Old Jun 5, 2016, 11:04 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: **Mucci Diamond Hairbrush** - compared to that nothing else matters (+BA Bronze)
Interesting mock up you've drawn and I like it.
Old Jun 5, 2016, 11:12 am

Very interesting Prospero.

Could it work in the first diagram to reconfigure the toilets/galley/etc at the front of the cabin, in order to protect WT+ seats? And in doing so (please don't shoot me), reduce the number of toilets for CW? What BA gives with one hand...
Old Jun 5, 2016, 11:23 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist, Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: AF/KL Life Plat, BA GGL+GfL, ALL Plat, Hilton Diam, Marriott Gold, blablablah, etc
Originally Posted by Flexible preferences
I've also read others on here mentioning that uncomfortable bar in CX's fully reclined mode.
Certainly not me, though, and I have flown that model dozens of times. I guess that as always, there is an element of individual morphology/preference/habits that comes into play when it comes to seats. I still remember people commenting that they did not like fully flat seats and found the old cradle seats far more comfortable not so long ago!
Old Jun 5, 2016, 11:24 am
Original Poster

Programs: BA
Retrofit case studies exist (even for the 747). You'd expect them to exist, so this is in no way confirmation that a retrofit will happen or not. In one particular configuration on one particular aircraft, BA has come up trumps and lost no seats whatsoever. This is a result of rearranging wardrobes, toilets and other 'dead' space. For the rest there is a small loss of seats. However re-arranging other parts of cabin & other classes have minimised the loss. The new product is lighter, too.

One comment I've seen a lot here is that BA wants to maintain the density. You need to let go of that idea. Despite some seat losses BA will still achieve a higher density than all of it's competitors. Combine that with the fact that it's a more attractive product, and that the fleet isn't as fuel thirsty as it was in 2000 or 2006, BA think that there's a perfectly reasonable business case for it.

As for storage: the small 'table' next to the head of the seat is big enough for say, an phone (iPhone 6 Plus) and a wallet. The literature pocket at the top (there is also one further down the seat at the side), could be useful for hanging your glasses on.

I've seen nothing more regarding the IFE than the same Panasonic system being fitted to the 747. This may change as technology paces on.

Last edited by hemschmall; Jun 5, 2016 at 11:36 am
Old Jun 5, 2016, 11:41 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Gold, SQ Gold, KQ Platinum, IHG Diamond Ambassador, Hilton Gold, Marriott Silver, Accor Silver
On paper the new design looks like a fair improvement over the current product - nicer aesthetics, direct aisle access, more storage, more privacy for aisle seats, larger IFE screen.

The cabin density still concerns me, as it's hard to deliver a premium service with so many passengers in a single cabin.

I hope the soft product will see some small changes (such as bread plates, nuts in a dish, proper salt and pepper cellars) as well.
Old Jun 5, 2016, 11:48 am
Moderator, Hertz; FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor BadgeHyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: UA 1MM, BA GGL, Hyatt Glob, Hilton Diamond and others
Looks amazing, but do I still get to look at my seatmate sensually before take-off like on the current CW?
Old Jun 5, 2016, 12:55 pm

Originally Posted by orbitmic
Certainly not me, though, and I have flown that model dozens of times. I guess that as always, there is an element of individual morphology/preference/habits that comes into play when it comes to seats. I still remember people commenting that they did not like fully flat seats and found the old cradle seats far more comfortable not so long ago!
Yes, guess we're all built differently. Although I've definitely read more than once on here about that uncomfortable bar. My guess is you are of slim build and perhaps compress the foam less!
Old Jun 5, 2016, 10:50 pm

20.5" width - really!?

Am I the only one tired of paying BA prices for substandard business class?

Originally Posted by hemschmall
I have something to share. However please acknowledge that I'd rather not 'out' myself, so I may be tight lipped with some seemingly innocent questions you may have.

Old Jun 5, 2016, 11:35 pm
Ambassador, Hong Kong and Macau

Programs: Non-top tier Asia Miles member
Originally Posted by ascubaguy
Am I the only one tired of paying BA prices for substandard business class?
http://www.ausbt.com.au/revealed-cat...ess-class-seat

"There's a little give-and-take with the width, however, reduced from 21 to 20.2 inches on the main cushion but with more space in the knee zones on the left and right for travellers who sleep on their side..."
Old Jun 5, 2016, 11:58 pm

Originally Posted by percysmith
http://www.ausbt.com.au/revealed-cat...ess-class-seat

"There's a little give-and-take with the width, however, reduced from 21 to 20.2 inches on the main cushion but with more space in the knee zones on the left and right for travellers who sleep on their side..."
If this were marketed at WTP prices such 'optimisations' would be a welcome change. Instead it feels like BA is experimenting with how little can be done to keep defectors at bay.

I suspect that this 'leak' is nothing more than that.
Old Jun 6, 2016, 12:00 am
sxc
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Accor Contributor Badge

Programs: CX Green, QF Platinum, BAEC Silver, Hyatt Glob
Originally Posted by Saltire74
I'm still getting some hip pain from a flight I took in March. It only started when I came off the plane in AMS. There is definitely a noticable bump when in the flat position. I also noticed it on my outward flight too and to be honest, I did feel a niggle in my hip for a couple of days afterwards but gradually went away. Obviously the return trip flared it up again.

Safe & Happy Travels

S
When the CX seat is fully flat, just tilt the top part of the seat very very slightly upwards, and the ridge in the seat goes away. And then push the legrest button so that it raises again. It will still feel flat, but without the "join" protruding.
Old Jun 6, 2016, 12:30 am

I had really hoped they would go for one of the more genuinely revolutionary mockups we were seeing as patent applications rather than the lipstick on a pig approach. Other than finally providing direct aisle access for all nothing has really changed. It's still narrow at the window, exposed in the aisle, too short for anyone tall and doesn't address the lack of storage space.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.