New Club World (Genuinely something new)

Old Jan 30, 2019, 11:29 am

Programs: BA - Blue > Bronze > Silver > Bronze > Blue
Originally Posted by stuart_f
Are you saying his opinion that BA's current product is sub-par is unreasonable, biased or unreliable? I see the same comment on here on a daily basis.

If BA were really that bothered about HfP then they would have reached out to Raffles and have their own NDA with him. As it is, BA is getting loads of publicity for a product that is not even named yet.

BA's marketing department have taken this right out of Apple's playbook. Stir the internet into a frenzy of anticipation and 'secrecy' in advance of a product announcement. They know exactly what they are doing.
No, just that his BA articles always have a certain slant. The CCR review vs Qatar lounge review is one the best examples. Absolutely zero effort to try and take decent pics in the CCR, or any on the terrace (despite describing the lounge as dark), while to be fair, both sets of photos are pretty poor, lets say a little more effort is taken in the Qatar lounge.

Considering he was able to source other pictures of the lounge for food, you'd think he could perhaps of got something a little more representative/ better from other sources

CCR - https://www.headforpoints.com/2014/1...ow-terminal-5/

QR - https://www.headforpoints.com/2014/10/17/qatar-airways-premium-lounge-heathrow-review/

To be fair, sites like that need an agenda and can't be seen to be gushing about everything, if they're to be taken as anything other than a credit card referral site, its just that when people are taking money of certain parties and not others and their views can be seen to be biased due to that, you need to take them with a pinch of salt,

Re your other point, its only us nerds discussing it as opposed to the whole internet going into a frenzy isn't it? Its good thinking though, if they want to do it properly they need to release a few examples like the OP in this thread, really get us frothing!

Last edited by Cap'n Benj; Jan 30, 2019 at 11:41 am
Old Jan 30, 2019, 11:38 am

Originally Posted by Raffles
Any sponsorship money we get for the HFP parties goes 100% behind the bar, as you would have found out at Christmas. We don't get a penny of it.

The fact that BA has never expressed any interest in sponsoring a HFP party and, in effect, buying a few drinks for 250 of its better customers is telling in itself.
Sorry but I don't see where the money goes as making any real difference. You run the parties to promote your business and the free bar helps promote your parties.

I don't have any issue with what you do and I enjoy your site and its content and maybe its just me who senses the hugely pro QR slant, while even a pro BA article has to reference that its a huge shcok
JFX1764 likes this.
Old Jan 30, 2019, 11:50 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Four Seasons Contributor Badge

Programs: BA, VS, HH, IHG, MB, MR
Originally Posted by Cap'n Benj
Re your other point, its only us nerds discussing it as opposed to the whole internet going into a frenzy isn't it? Its good thinking though, if they want to do it properly they need to release a few examples like the OP in this thread, really get us frothing!
Those are articles from 2014 :-) However, I still rate the Qatar T4 lounge as the classiest in Heathrow and with easily the best food, for the record!

Originally Posted by Cap'n Benj
Sorry but I don't see where the money goes as making any real difference. You run the parties to promote your business and the free bar helps promote your parties.
You'll remember that we sold all the tickets for the last party without having a sponsor. People bought them on the basis of 'buy your own drinks' and only afterwards did Virgin Money agree to come in (thanks Sinead).

What we DO do well, I think, is bring products to the attention of people which are often overlooked. If you've got a cool new J seat and/or a cool new plane and/or a cool new lounge, we can put that in front of 300,000 people per month, 80% of whom are UK based. Let's be clear about one thing though - the minute that people stop trusting what we write to be objective is the minute we go out of business. If the flights and hotels we review are generally reviewed positively, it is because we don't accept freebies to dumps. Life's too short. Do you think I'm giving up 2-3 nights with my wife and kids to review (unpaid) your rubbish 'wedgie' J seat and inedible food, or stay (unpaid) in your slated hotel? No.
NoY, mrow, subject2load and 2 others like this.

Last edited by Raffles; Jan 30, 2019 at 12:02 pm
Old Jan 30, 2019, 12:01 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Gold/OWE, several MUCCI, and assorted Pensions!
I have more to do in my remaining years than try to unravel a Blogger’s past posts and current activity. To which end I hardly ever look at H4P ...
Old Jan 30, 2019, 12:25 pm

Any sponsorship money we get for the HFP parties goes 100% behind the bar, as you would have found out at Christmas. We don't get a penny of it.

The fact that BA has never expressed any interest in sponsoring a HFP party and, in effect, buying a few drinks for 250 of its better customers is telling in itself.
I'm confused - you're going to have to spell it out for me - what does it tell us pls?
Old Jan 30, 2019, 12:26 pm

Programs: BAEC Blue/Bronze, Krisflyer, Qantas
I think I would call the new product - Club "All The Moons Align"

Wifi AND white company bedding AND new food AND better customer service AND a new seat, all on the same plane at the same time???
Old Jan 30, 2019, 12:46 pm
Suspended

Programs: plenty - ggl, ccr, etc, etc.
Originally Posted by T8191
I have more to do in my remaining years than try to unravel a Blogger’s past posts and current activity. To which end I hardly ever look at H4P ...
if you ever do, there’s even more sycophantic twaddle on youtube of supposed reviews.

Good is to see that BA does not pander to these types - who mostly seem to have persuaded the gulf airlines into giving them free F seats for crawlingly positive ‘reviews’.
Old Jan 30, 2019, 12:48 pm

Originally Posted by email2markt
I think I would call the new product - Club "All The Moons Align"

Wifi AND white company bedding AND new food AND better customer service AND a new seat, all on the same plane at the same time???
Ahh, but wait until you see all the award availability go up in smoke!
Old Jan 30, 2019, 1:06 pm

Those are articles from 2014 :-) However, I still rate the Qatar T4 lounge as the classiest in Heathrow and with easily the best food, for the record!

You'll remember that we sold all the tickets for the last party without having a sponsor. People bought them on the basis of 'buy your own drinks' and only afterwards did Virgin Money agree to come in (thanks Sinead).

What we DO do well, I think, is bring products to the attention of people which are often overlooked. If you've got a cool new J seat and/or a cool new plane and/or a cool new lounge, we can put that in front of 300,000 people per month, 80% of whom are UK based. Let's be clear about one thing though - the minute that people stop trusting what we write to be objective is the minute we go out of business. If the flights and hotels we review are generally reviewed positively, it is because we don't accept freebies to dumps. Life's too short. Do you think I'm giving up 2-3 nights with my wife and kids to review (unpaid) your rubbish 'wedgie' J seat and inedible food, or stay (unpaid) in your slated hotel? No.
Accepting any freebie is an issue in my eyes, which is the reason the likes of Sam Chui on Youtube are not to be taken seriously.

Like your thanks to Sinead above, as soon as people buy into you (on whatever level it may be) you think you owe them something whether it simply be thanks, or something more telling, subconsciously or otherwise.

You may think you're completely unbiased (and you may indeed be), I, personally, do not sense that from reading your articles (esp re QR and BA) although the fact that you are taking freebies off companies (whether fantastic, good, bad, rubbish, inedible or slated) may be what leads me to think this (again subconsciously!).
JFX1764 likes this.

Last edited by Cap'n Benj; Jan 30, 2019 at 1:16 pm
Old Jan 30, 2019, 1:13 pm

Originally Posted by T8191
You should, there's some good stuff on there and always some decent comments, from people who I assume don't post on here!
Old Jan 30, 2019, 3:29 pm

Programs: BAEC Bronze
Soooo about these new club world seats...

Give me an extra shelf for storing things and a screen that can stay on all the time and I'll be happy. Less bothered about a door.
Old Jan 30, 2019, 3:43 pm

Programs: BAEC Silver
I can’t wait for the new Super Diamond XL Vantage Cirrus Q Bed to be announced ! Honestly, these names mean nothing to me....sorry !

Just hoping that whatever / whenever it comes along will be a nicely designed comfortable seat with all aisle access, storage and a pleasant place to spend 10 hours of someone’s time.

I’m actually really looking forward to the announcements & trying.
Old Jan 30, 2019, 3:54 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Mucci. Nothing else matters.
Originally Posted by YacozA
Originally Posted by volar
HfP should not have published this, in my view, when Raffles was clearly aware that whoever supplied the information was in breach of the Future Lab Ts and Cs (this was pointed out in a comment on HfP early this morning). It would seem that BA are not happy about this being all over the Internet...
It's a journalistic website... using this same logic, newspapers should be barred from publishing whistle blower information because the informant party is outside of the T&C's to disclose information.
Responsible newspapers do have processes to evaluate whether a story which has been obtained in breach of a confidentiality clause should or should not be published. As a massive generalisation, there should be some genuine public interest in the story if the prima facie confidentiality is to be breached. Public curiosity is not the same as public interest, so there are judgement calls to be made.

More reprehensible, though, is the behaviour of the person who leaked this, despite the express reminder from BA about the NDA when the information was presented. Unfortunately, there will always be people who think that the rules don't apply to them, or that they know better. It would be a pity if the leaking of the story causes BA to use channels like Future Lab less, and to rely more on purely internal decision-making that doesn't draw at all on what customers and passengers think. There are already plenty of complaints that BA doesn't listen enough, so shame on anyone whose actions might make BA listen even less.
Old Jan 30, 2019, 4:40 pm

Programs: BAEC Gold! Thanks to FT

i will glance at HFP from time to time like other forums but primarily use Flyertalk for my source of bargain premium travel. That’s got me multiple years Gold and Sikver after struggling to attain status so I can’t profess to know what you do or don’t do well.

What I do know is that you have lost the trust of an airline/group that I doubt will come knocking at your door with exclusives for your site in the future.

This goes without saying the perception of the lack of integrity/professionalism from readers/potential readers or future collaborators or sponsors at the contempt of requested confidentiality.

A bit disappointing really and who knows might even make other online communities worthless if British Airways don’t share future information with that source as they know there’s a chance it will leak. I don’t buy the oh BA want the apple marketing effect for a minute.. They aren’t that clever in my opinion.
Old Jan 30, 2019, 5:07 pm

Originally Posted by jday
Soooo about these new club world seats...

Give me an extra shelf for storing things and a screen that can stay on all the time and I'll be happy. Less bothered about a door.
No direct aisle access?

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.