Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

British Airways ATL-AMS Best Business Class seats

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Jun 3, 2016, 12:38 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Sky Miles

Hello. I'm new to British Airways and would like some advice on seats. I've looked far and wide and cannot find the answer I need.
I am flying on flight BA0226 from Atlanta to Amsterdam on March 31, 2017 and do not know if the 777-200 is 3 or 4 classes, thus not being able to pick out seats. I booked seats 10B and 10D.
For those of you in the know, please advise if these seats are good for a couple flying together, and any other advice while flying on BA.
Thanks much
Old Jun 3, 2016, 12:49 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Mucci des Hommes Magiques et Magnifiques
It will be a B777-300, why did you choose those seats, are you only looking for two aisle seats?
Old Jun 3, 2016, 1:18 pm

Programs: AAdvantage Platinum, Asiana Club Silver, Flying Blue Ivory
I'm a bit confused by the title.

You mean ATL-LHR, right? And you switch to a different plane and flight number there?

You can determine what class of plane it is by comparing seat maps.

For a travelling couple, I'd actually pick the E and F seats. Always seemed quite cosy to me (never actually travelled in Club World).
Old Jun 3, 2016, 1:45 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Sky Miles
Atlanticx, you are correct - my first flight is from ATL-LHR and then on to AMS. I'm really wanting to know if B and D (aisles across from each other) facing forward, are better than rear facing center rows which are almost like a double bed. Comfort is my key consideration.
Old Jun 3, 2016, 1:49 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

If you don't mind that you have step over a seat to get to your seat then the middle pair are great for couples.
Old Jun 3, 2016, 2:32 pm
Moderator, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges, and Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold; Flying Blue Life Platinum; LH Sen.; Hilton Diamond; Kemal Kebabs Prized Customer
Originally Posted by Can I help you
the middle pair are great for couples.
Yeah, and to recycle an old FT joke, perhaps not so good if travelling with one's spouse.

kathykathy, it may be worth looking at some of the photos online for Club World, the ying-yang seating often works well for couples if one of you sits facing rearwards - you share are a partition (which you would presumably keep down) and the seating's line up and sight lines work well for most couples. So for example 10A and 10B. That's certainly what most "established" couples seem to prefer. If you have not sat rearwards before it may be a bit of a revelation, regular flyers tend to prefer them (e.g. on the 767s where there is effectively a choice), and you could both try it out to see if it works better for one of you. However we're all different and though it's less frequent to see couples across the aisle, it's by no means unusual.

If your seating plan has row 10 as the first Club World row, I'd probably drop back a row, too much goes on there in terms of the galley and washrooms. Row 13 is quite good too, but nearer to the jet noise. Less keen on 12.
Old Jun 3, 2016, 4:40 pm

Programs: Latinpass Million Miler. BA Gold.
When flying as a couple, or even with my spouse we always choose the middle seat pair, with the occasional exception of the 747 upper deck.
Old Jun 3, 2016, 4:52 pm

To add another possibility, the window seats in CW are often favoured over aisles because of the unique rear facing aspect, extra privacy and view. As a couple you may consider something like 10AB so that one of you gets a window, and you can chat to each other easily and comfortably with the divider down.

Alternatively, if you don't think you'll converse much in-flight you could even do two windows, one behind the other (eg 10A, 11A) which is what my husband and I would do next time.
Old Jun 3, 2016, 5:29 pm

Did you check the BA Forum Dashboard? More information than anyone could ever want about seating in there.
Old Jun 3, 2016, 5:52 pm

Programs: BA Gold (ex-GGL, maybe future Silver), Hilton Diamond
I'm a weirdo, arguably for many reasons, but also because I like CW aisle seats better, or rather I find the window seats (particularly on the 777) too claustrophobic. It's better on the upper decks of the 747 and A380' to be fair.
Old Jun 4, 2016, 2:39 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Gold
In my humble opinion...

ATL-LHR - best seats = 13A & 13B
LHR-AMS - best seats = 1A & 1C
AMS-LHR - best seats = 1A & 1C
LHR-ATL - best seats = 13J & 13K

Logic:

(i) I like windows so suggest a window-aisle pair

(ii) row 13 is the only row on the 777 which is guaranteed to have a full complement of windows, irrespective of whether or not you are on the -200 or -300

(iii) on the trans-Atlantic sectors I like to be on the side that is not facing the Sun

(iv) on the short-haul sectors I like the bulkhead and find the A-side preferable to the F-side because it allows my right hand to be free of the wall when in the window seat (for this reason I prefer 1D to 1F).

Hope that helps!
Old Jun 4, 2016, 2:49 am

Originally Posted by kathykathy
Atlanticx, you are correct - my first flight is from ATL-LHR and then on to AMS. I'm really wanting to know if B and D (aisles across from each other) facing forward, are better than rear facing center rows which are almost like a double bed. Comfort is my key consideration.
While I do think the centre pairs are great for couples - it would be a mistake to think of them as 'almost like a double bed'.

Unless ... of course ... your double bed has a great big plastic divider in the middle of it - you can't see each other when lying down and the matress has a 6 inch gap in the middle.

BUT - when you're sitting up - they are great for conversation.

The other downside can be meal service. Typically one half of the middle pair is served by one side of the cabin crew and the other by the other (if that makes sense). So depending on how fast both sides are going through the cabin - there can be a gap on meal service and drinks service.

Personally - I'm a Window/Aisle guy with my wife.
Old Jun 4, 2016, 3:15 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Can you not see each other when lying down with the screen fully pushed back, I have never tried?
Old Jun 4, 2016, 4:24 am

Originally Posted by Can I help you
Can you not see each other when lying down with the screen fully pushed back, I have never tried?
Being honest neither have I ... I've always had the screen out - either travelling with a non spouse companion or next to a stranger.

Looking at it in pictures I might have been a little hasty with that judgement and with some poor memories as I recalled a solid divider between the seats even without the screen pulled forward. The photos I've just checked don't show that.

So I think it wouldn't be as much of an issue. I still stand by my 'not almost a double bed' comment though.

My final comment would be that being in the middle can result in the first you know that you are close to the ground is the bump on touchdown which can be a little disconcerting. Having said that ... I have found that can be the same from any non-window seat in CW. The difference with the middle is you've got a couple of privacy dividers between you and the window against just one from the aisle seats.
Old Jun 4, 2016, 5:09 am

Programs: BA Gold, IHG Diamond + Ambassador, Accor Gold, Avis President's Club, Heathrow Rewards
Originally Posted by Sixth Freedom
LHR-AMS - best seats = 1A & 1C
AMS-LHR - best seats = 1A & 1C
I'd much rather have 1D and 1F - you get bumped into mercilessly in 1C. Plus, on approach to LHR from the east, which happens fairly often, you get a beautiful view of Central London in 1F.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.