Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

CX blocking award availability when it's close to departure?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jun 26, 2016, 2:02 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: BlueThroughCrimp
BA and CX have jointly blocked close in booking between HKG and Taiwan and parts of China with a minimum of 5 days before departure.

Unfortunately as a result of significant levels of fraudulent activity CX have removed access to redemption availability -5 days to departure until further notice. (BA Executive Club)
It is not sure that when this limit will be lifted and people are advised to phone up to book their flights if it is short to departure (even though it may not work)

UPDATES:
- 12/07/2016 The block has been lifted for flights to and from Taiwan.
- 28/10/2016 Looks like there is a 7 days block for flights between HKG and PEK, PVG, XIY (Xi'an), CKG (Chongqing). There may also be a 5 days block on TPE again...
- 28/10/2016 Flights to CTU and WUH still face the 7 days block afaik
- 30/11/2016 Even for TPE there is a 7 days block
- 13/12/2016 Basically everything is blocked, including TYO, LHR and so on.
- 28/02/2017 RIP redemptions to MAINLAND CHINA T-5
- 11/03/2017 Blocked all CX/KA online & phone redemptions to/from All Mainland China, TPE, Malaysia & Singapore flights 9 days from departure !
- 14/03/2017 Ok, folks. CX is blocking ON MOST award spaces for BAEC members (whether online or phone) up to 9 days prior to departure now.
- 15/03/2017 CX (or rather BA) is blocking CX/KA redemptions blocking ON MOST award spaces between HKG and USA, EU, Japan, Taiwan flights for BAEC members (whether online or phone) up to 22 days prior to departure! Each destination is inconsistent with availability. Some are not available less than 7 days, some as in the case of Japan is 22 days prior to departure.
- 11/08/2017 All CX/KA redemptions are blocked online when close to departure. While most can be booked by phone, Chinese routes may still be blocked when close to departure.

Print Wikipost

CX blocking award availability when it's close to departure?

Search this Thread

Old Dec 11, 2017, 1:09 am

Programs: BA(GGL) QF LTS CX AM, Hilton Diamond, PPL(A)
Originally Posted by mec72
Some other threads suggested that what you see through QF is the actual availability. That was 6 months ago and worked for me (I had to then call BAEC to book) - not sure if still correct.
Originally Posted by percysmith
Not accurate. Asia Miles > BAEC availability.

You can call, but don't expect 100% of what you see on AM to be there.
Some data points to add here

- 1 week ago could call up BA to book a close in ticket (<48 hours) for a HKG - Europe route. AM/QF online had availability. BA obviously not online. But BA agent could see + ticket over the phone

- it is true that AM availability (can be, but not necessarily) > BA availability. But strangely the other day, BA agent + QF online could apparently (note the word apparently because we did not proceed to ticketing) see 3x award spare whereas AM agent could not see any for a booking slightly over 24 hours to departure (and to complicate these matters - I saw AM availability online just a few hours prior and was making preps to book, but alas when I recheck a few hours later, there was none online or over the phone)
https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/cath...tners-see.html

i think the strategy is to search AM first, then if it is available, search QF (to confirm if seat is made available to partners), then try to call BAEC to book for a close in booking.
Old Jan 23, 2018, 10:34 pm
Marriott Contributor Badge

Programs: AA EXP, SPG Plat, Marriott Silver, HH Gold
Originally Posted by Kilian Zoll
Unfortunately QF have killed the award calendar view -- no more flexible date searches.
I'm able to see the calendar view, but you have to tick the "flexible dates" checkbox when selecting dates.

One thing that seems new is that QF doesn't seem to allow or show award flights departing within the next two days. Example, today is Jan 24, can only select Jan 26 or later, and the calendar view doesn't allow you to click on Jan 24 or 25 either.

Does anyone know if BA would still be able to search the next day? (or same day, even?)
Old Jan 29, 2018, 1:15 am

To update on my own question: BA is able to book CX awards as late as the day prior to departure and is able to search availability. Very annoying that you can't book these on the website anymore and have to call, as each call is easily 30-60 minutes. The phone agents don't generally seem to be aware that CX doesn't show up on the website close-in, but are happy to waive the fee (after they confirm it themselves by trying). JL doesn't show availability within 3-4 days it seems and QF shows up to 2-2.5 days in advance. (You have to click the earliest date, select flexible dates, and sometimes a day earlier than what shows on the initial calendar is availble to view)
Old Jan 29, 2018, 1:47 am
Ambassador, British Airways; FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: BA GGL/CCR, GfL, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by transparent
To update on my own question: BA is able to book CX awards as late as the day prior to departure and is able to search availability. Very annoying that you can't book these on the website anymore and have to call, as each call is easily 30-60 minutes. The phone agents don't generally seem to be aware that CX doesn't show up on the website close-in, but are happy to waive the fee (after they confirm it themselves by trying). JL doesn't show availability within 3-4 days it seems and QF shows up to 2-2.5 days in advance. (You have to click the earliest date, select flexible dates, and sometimes a day earlier than what shows on the initial calendar is availble to view)
Is this for all routes? I thought the HKG-China routes may still be unbookable even when calling?
Old Jan 29, 2018, 2:00 am

Programs: BA EC
Originally Posted by transparent
Did you call the hkg call centr? They know about the cx stuff and can finish ticketing in 10 min if you give them all the details. Iirc the deadline is 24 hours before departure.
Old Jan 29, 2018, 2:21 am
Ambassador, Hong Kong and Macau

Programs: Non-top tier Asia Miles member
I once called in for a CX flight 110 minutes before departure but that D.P. is over two years old.
Old Jan 29, 2018, 2:57 am
sxc
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Accor Contributor Badge

Programs: CX Green, QF Platinum, BAEC Silver, Hyatt Glob
Originally Posted by neofung

Did you call the hkg call centr? They know about the cx stuff and can finish ticketing in 10 min if you give them all the details. Iirc the deadline is 24 hours before departure.
Is that the Cantonese line?
Old Jan 29, 2018, 3:49 am
Original Poster

Programs: British Airways Executive Club Gold
Originally Posted by sxc
Is that the Cantonese line?
My experience is any call centres know about this. India centre worked, HK centre worked (Cantonese and English and mandarin should go to the same people as many people speak all three) and UK centre.

You can book as late as you want, up to 60 minutes. No booking fees either.
Old Jan 29, 2018, 6:48 pm

so basically now you can book cx close in on the phone? i remember when i looked the uk agents didn't see the space
Old Jan 30, 2018, 3:12 am

Not sure about China routes. This was BKK-HKG which did not show on BA.com around 5-6 says out. I remember being able to call in to book a China route close-in last year by calling in (i forget how many days in advance).
Old Feb 8, 2018, 9:14 am
Suspended

Programs: Anything with sweet spots
Japan Airlines website displays CX First award availability for a flight that is about 10 months out, but BA Avios doesn't show it. What gives ?
Old Mar 26, 2018, 6:36 pm

So are you able to book CX close-in with Avios on the phone? or not?
Old Mar 26, 2018, 6:40 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by yerffej201
So are you able to book CX close-in with Avios on the phone? or not?
Just phone up.
Old Mar 26, 2018, 6:41 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by MasterGeek
Japan Airlines website displays CX First award availability for a flight that is about 10 months out, but BA Avios doesn't show it. What gives ?
Sometimes Asia Miles have more availability than their partners. Try phone up and see if the agent can see the space.
Old Mar 27, 2018, 2:31 am
Suspended

Programs: A3, TK *G; JL JGC; SPG,Hilton Gold
USA agents are incapable of doing this. I've tried calling US after the HK office shuts and the UAE system doesnt like how i call in using skype and UK had too hong waiting time.
they "simply cannot see availability" and CX had a ton of availability.

same applied another time but i could connect to the UK line after a short wait.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.