FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   British Airways | Executive Club (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/british-airways-executive-club-446/)
-   -   CX blocking award availability when it's close to departure? (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/british-airways-executive-club/1769383-cx-blocking-award-availability-when-its-close-departure.html)

cysyuen Jun 22, 2016 4:21 pm

Originally Posted by BA Executive Club (Post 26814519)
It was a joint decision, the availability itself has to be restricted by CX.

Thank you for the answer. I really hope it is at least possible to make the booking via the phone so that those who need seats can get it for themselves.

cysyuen Jun 22, 2016 4:30 pm

Also why only TPE and WUH (possibly other places) that are blocked?

Is there a list of cities that are blocked, or would it just encourage people to try other places?

nufnuf77 Jun 23, 2016 12:31 am

I was counting on last minute CX redemptions when I am in Asia in November, but cannot confirm which flights/dates I need to be flying until a few days before the flights.

Is this going on on all/many CX routes or just the TPE one? Any way around this?

percysmith Jun 23, 2016 12:53 am

Originally Posted by nufnuf77 (Post 26818533)
Is this going on on all/many CX routes or just the TPE one?

CX/KA to/from Taiwan and Mainland China only. Even Hanoi 4,500 Avios close in is OK for now.

Originally Posted by nufnuf77 (Post 26818533)
Any way around this?

Use other OW programs' miles (AM/AAdvantage/JMB/QF FF)

jazzmailman Jun 23, 2016 1:28 am

I'm very unhappy with this decision. I credit and collect BA avios for the sole purpose of redeeming for HKG-TPE but yet haven't been able to use it for a while. No clarification has ever been offered until this thread.

While I'd blame the fraudulent activity basically came from BA's own mistake of getting hacked - I agree with one of the previous poster that if you can somehow enable it via phone booking so that we can prove our identity, it's at least a stopgap to whatever BA is trying accomplish.

Dear BA, if you are reading this, can you at least enable the redemption via phone? At least I can provide you with my personal information, and the 'hackers ' are very less likely to actually call to make a redemption.

Thank you.

nufnuf77 Jun 23, 2016 1:36 am

Originally Posted by jazzmailman (Post 26818632)
I'm very unhappy with this decision. I credit and collect BA avios for the sole purpose of redeeming for HKG-TPE but yet haven't been able to use it for a while. No clarification has ever been offered until this thread.

While I'd blame the fraudulent activity basically came from BA's own mistake of getting hacked - I agree with one of the previous poster that if you can somehow enable it via phone booking so that we can prove our identity, it's at least a stopgap to whatever BA is trying accomplish.

Dear BA, if you are reading this, can you at least enable the redemption via phone? At least I can provide you with my personal information, and the 'hackers ' are very less likely to actually call to make a redemption.

Thank you.

I agree, it seems BA needs to put a procedure in place to prevent fraud on CX redemptions (phone or similar seem like a good idea) and to solve this long-term - eg better account security(the password one-step sign-in is a joke, when you think one may have millions of avios waiting to be stolen...)

jazzmailman Jun 24, 2016 9:38 am

bumping this thread so others can chime in on their experience.

graj08 Jul 3, 2016 9:49 am

Hi,

Does anyone know what the current blockage is for PVG-HKG flights? A few days ago it seemed to be 4 days, but now is extended to 7 days. Will this 7 day remain, or will it be extended / decreased again?

It seems ridiculous for BA to do this without warning (or notice).

Is this issue resolvable by calling and giving some documentation that you're not engaging in fraudulent activity?

Thanks in advance.

graj08 Jul 4, 2016 11:04 pm

Bump...does anyone know the answer to this?

longliveKA Jul 5, 2016 6:58 am

Originally Posted by jazzmailman (Post 26818632)

Thank you.

Same same here!
The whole point of EC is being able to redeem on shorthaul with CX. Last year, BA even promoted EC as a cheap way to get intra Asia flights....
They better find a way to make their accounts more secure, this lack of safety, and limiting last minute redemptions does not encourage people to earn miles with EC.

percysmith Jul 5, 2016 7:48 am

Originally Posted by longliveKA (Post 26872168)
Same same here!
The whole point of EC is being able to redeem on shorthaul with CX. Last year, BA even promoted EC as a cheap way to get intra Asia flights....
They better find a way to make their accounts more secure, this lack of safety, and limiting last minute redemptions does not encourage people to earn miles with EC.

To keep things in perspective, BAEC is only blocking close-in. I just redeemed HGH for mid-Autumn.

Not really sure I'm gonna fly it, but the cancellation policy is more friendly than AM so I thought book it as if an option and treat the YQ as a cancellation premium.

KARFA Jul 5, 2016 7:59 am

I thought it was only online that was blocked for close in bookings? Can't you still call to book?

longliveKA Jul 5, 2016 8:01 am

Originally Posted by KARFA (Post 26872468)
I thought it was only online that was blocked for close in bookings? Can't you still call to book?

Nope. Inventory is the same. I tried...

cysyuen Jul 7, 2016 1:49 pm

BA is now showing flights for 11/07/2015 between HKG/TPE. Nothing before that.

Can someone please check AM to see if there are seats before the 11th?

Engineering Travel Jul 7, 2016 2:10 pm

Originally Posted by cysyuen (Post 26884166)
BA is now showing flights for 11/07/2015 between HKG/TPE. Nothing before that.

Can someone please check AM to see if there are seats before the 11th?

Only waitlist available until 11th July, I believe that there is a large number canceled on the 8th and 9th due to the Typhoon about to hit Tiawan