Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

Original Routing Credit (ORC) Beginner's Guide

Original Routing Credit (ORC) Beginner's Guide

Old Nov 24, 2018, 5:31 am

Programs: BA GGL, TK E (*G), ITA exec
Originally Posted by dylanks
Ask for ORC at the airport? No, I wouldn't bother with that, the airport staff don't really have any control over BAEC, especially not contract staff.
No, ask at the BA ticket desk at the airport if they can ticket the trip
Dealing in person for me is way easier than by phone
Old Nov 29, 2018, 11:18 am

Programs: SK EBG, BAEC Gold
Not sure if this is a simple one, or a complicated case.

Short version: Booked ORD-PHL-SFO as part of an international business class ticket (Ixxxxs fare). Afternoon flight out of ORD was late into PHL. During the flight the I noted that the AA app showed I had been rebooked for the PHL-SFO flight next morning in Y. Went to the gate for my original PHL-SFO flight anyway and they had just started pre-boarding. Asked at the desk and they confirmed my 2D seat was already given to someone else and could not be reinstated. Went to customer services desk (adjacent to the gate and no queue) - the agent there got me back on the original PHL-SFO flight but only in Y. Took the flight and the TPs/Avios posted yesterday as I suspected based on Y/Y rather than I/C.

So I ended up on the same routing, but with a downgrade in service class, no not quite a "ORC" request but an "original class credit" request ...

Other details:
During the flight the app updated to show an arrival time 18 minutes before the scheduled departure of the PHL-SFO flight, so I guess at that point I was auto-rebooked. Later during the flight the arrival time was updated forwards to 31 minutes before the scheduled flight. The ORD-PHL flight landed just two gates away from the PHL-SFO flight so made it there within a minute. At the customer services desk the agent was initially fairly dismissive when I showed her the boarding pass and the app. After scanning my boarding pass she quite literally ran to another desk about 20 meters away, and ran back with the new boarding pass saying something like "I got you back on the flight but only in economy - go and board now in case it doesn't stick".

I was happy to get to SFO as planned, and the rebooked seat was an exit row in main cabin extra. The auto-rebooked flight would have got me there about 16 hours later than planned. As things happened so fast I didn't have time to check other options to see if there was a way to get to SFO via another route on a seat in first. Looking at the timetables now though I can't see many options in any case to get from PHL to SFO leaving after 17:45 from PHL (scheduled departure time for my flight).
Old Nov 29, 2018, 11:27 am
Moderator: British Airways Executive Club

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold. GGL/CCR.
Originally Posted by GinFizz
Not sure if this is a simple one, or a complicated case.

Short version: Booked ORD-PHL-SFO as part of an international business class ticket (Ixxxxs fare). Afternoon flight out of ORD was late into PHL. During the flight the I noted that the AA app showed I had been rebooked for the PHL-SFO flight next morning in Y. Went to the gate for my original PHL-SFO flight anyway and they had just started pre-boarding. Asked at the desk and they confirmed my 2D seat was already given to someone else and could not be reinstated. Went to customer services desk (adjacent to the gate and no queue) - the agent there got me back on the original PHL-SFO flight but only in Y. Took the flight and the TPs/Avios posted yesterday as I suspected based on Y/Y rather than I/C.

So I ended up on the same routing, but with a downgrade in service class, no not quite a "ORC" request but an "original class credit" request ...
That will be fine. Contact BA and you should receive the extra tier points without any trouble. It's unusual that you were on the same flight but in a different class. Normally AA IRROPS mean travel on a different flight but often downgraded. Nonetheless it should not be a problem to recover the extra points.
Old Nov 29, 2018, 12:40 pm

Originally Posted by golfmad
That will be fine. Contact BA and you should receive the extra tier points without any trouble....
Great - many thanks for the quick reply! I'll go ahead then and make the ORC request after I arrive home on Friday (just boarded AA169 from LAX to NRT) and then update the thread later.
golfmad likes this.
Old Dec 27, 2018, 8:30 pm

Programs: FB Platinum for Life; BAEC Gold Guest List; Accor Gold.
Just a quick question as this seems to be the forum for ORCs: My outbound (I'm still 'out' so inbound hasn't happened yet) was booked AMS-LHR-HKG-BKK on BA stock in business class (but HKG-BKK was actually on CX metal, in "Y"). AMS-LHR was severely delayed (lots of delays at LHR on 21st Dec) and missed LHR-HKG. Excellent agent at LHR put me into the Sofitel o/n and on a TG (Thai) direct flight, LHR-BKK following day. No cause here for complaints or compensation (weather).

Flight AMS-LHR has correctly credited to my account; will the LHR-HKG (140TP, ~15,000Av) and HKG-BKK (20TP, ~1,000Av) be expected to credit automatically or should I submit a claim? If the latter, what's the best procedure (normal missing points doesn't seem right as I have no 'proof of flight'). I have the TG boarding pass stub and a 'duplicate' of the flight coupon issued by the BA agent.

Also, should I perhaps wait until the whole trip is over before nudging anyone for the ORC?

-- Henry
Old Dec 27, 2018, 8:45 pm

Originally Posted by Henry III
Also, should I perhaps wait until the whole trip is over before nudging anyone for the ORC?
I would give it a few days and see what actually posts (if anything). If it’s not right, raise it with BAEC using the methods outlined at the start of the thread. If it were me I would probably wait until the whole trip was over.
Old Jan 2, 2019, 7:37 am

Programs: FB Platinum for Life; BAEC Gold Guest List; Accor Gold.

I would give it a few days and see what actually posts (if anything). If it’s not right, raise it with BAEC using the methods outlined at the start of the thread. If it were me I would probably wait until the whole trip was over.
I waited a while! Sent one of the 'other stuff' requests via BA.com on 30th December … I'm not especially impatient but the TPs for the ORC take me to the 2500 threshold for an upgrade voucher, which I would like ASAP so that I can use it for an upcoming trip! (J to F - what are the chances?)

Anyway, once the 'silly season' ended (2nd January), I received a very polite email from an agent at the BAEC Gold section, apologising for the 'error', adding that the ORC TP/Avios had been added to my account (which was true, of course), and wishing me pleasant flights for my return trip

Excellent stuffs! Faith restored.

-- Happy Henry
golfmad likes this.
Old Jan 7, 2019, 12:39 am

I need to request an ORC for my last BA ticketed ARN-MIA trip, (the AY operated flight into LHR was delayed and I was rebooked directly to MIA, skipping the JFK stop and losing 40 TPs) but after more than a week I still miss the 80 TPs for the flown HEL-LHR leg operated by AY. Should I wait more days for this to post, before requesting the ORC, or I could go ahead and write to BA about the ORC? And in this case, have the missing points to be mentioned or just requesting the ORC should solve everything?

Thank you
Old Jan 7, 2019, 10:10 am

Originally Posted by Lefly
I need to request an ORC for my last BA ticketed ARN-MIA trip, (the AY operated flight into LHR was delayed and I was rebooked directly to MIA, skipping the JFK stop and losing 40 TPs) but after more than a week I still miss the 80 TPs for the flown HEL-LHR leg operated by AY. Should I wait more days for this to post, before requesting the ORC, or I could go ahead and write to BA about the ORC? And in this case, have the missing points to be mentioned or just requesting the ORC should solve everything?

Thank you
If it were me, I would treat these as two separate issues. File a missing Avios claim for your HEL-LHR leg operated by AY using the form on the website. I would then also file a claim for ORC with BA for the missing 40 TPs.
Lefly likes this.
Old Jan 7, 2019, 9:34 pm

That will be fine. Contact BA and you should receive the extra tier points without any trouble. It's unusual that you were on the same flight but in a different class. Normally AA IRROPS mean travel on a different flight but often downgraded. Nonetheless it should not be a problem to recover the extra points.
Originally Posted by GinFizz
Great - many thanks for the quick reply! I'll go ahead then and make the ORC request after I arrive home on Friday (just boarded AA169 from LAX to NRT) and then update the thread later.
Quick update on the final result - I have to confess that entirely unwittingly I ended up on this occasion having my cake and eating it ...

I used the GGL e-mail to make the ORC request and received a reply that the request would be passed to AA for review. A couple of week later I received my credit card statement for November - and noticed that (without any prompting, or other communication from AA) there was a credit of 85 GBP - presumably to cover the downgrade for the PHL-SFO segment of my trip. Then just at the end of last week I received a mail from BA to let me know that the ORC claim had been processed and the Avios and Tier Points for the original class had been awarded.

Certainly a win there. I was surprised that AA acted without any contact to process a refund. To be honest I would have been happy enough with that, as I can usually get long weekend holiday deals on MH for around 1.1 to 1.5 GBP/TP, and that would just about cover the difference in this case (140 TPs for I/J rather than 70 for Y).
golfmad and Vasco Pridat like this.
Old Jan 9, 2019, 7:19 am

Update also from me. I requested the ORC on the 7th and got it today, after just a couple of e-mails.
Very satisfied for the result. ^
golfmad likes this.
Old Jan 17, 2019, 3:30 pm

Programs: BAEC Gold
Hi all. I posted this on the Tier Points thread but am still unclear so figured this might be a better place.

I'm due to fly JFK-BOS-LAX-SEA on AA this Sun, and have just received an email from AA flagging potential weather disruption (Winter Storm Harper) and offering me to reroute. Having checked their website, it appears that BOS is the affected airport.

If I change route now (as opposed to waiting for my flight to be cancelled/delayed), would I be entitled to ORC? I'm hoping things will be OK (weather forecasts are actually not that bad), but wanting to look at the options now.

Thanks in advance!

Last edited by Gin and Tonic Please; Jan 17, 2019 at 3:40 pm
Old Mar 5, 2019, 4:44 am

Programs: BA
I just called BA and they told me to apply for Original Routing Credit you need to do it online using this form: http://ba.com/ecsupportingdocs. And you will need to upload original ticket and a copy of the boarding pass for the flight you actually flew.
Old Mar 15, 2019, 1:28 pm

Programs: BA Gold Guest List, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Platinum
Originally Posted by lukewd
I just called BA and they told me to apply for Original Routing Credit you need to do it online using this form: http://ba.com/ecsupportingdocs. And you will need to upload original ticket and a copy of the boarding pass for the flight you actually flew.
I did this last month (AA reroute to UA) and they credited within about 4 days. The agent took down details over the phone, and then asked me to send docs via that link.
Old Apr 9, 2019, 2:40 am

Programs: BA GGL/CCR
Morning, I need to consult the combined wisdom on here... three of us have a booking in May with AA, issued on 001 ticket stock but crediting to BAEC. The flights are a mix of BA/AA operated and all but one flight (INV-LHR) are AA codes.

Originally we were booked INV-LHR-JFK-SFO-LAX, then AA changed it to IN-LHR-JFK-PHX-LAX which was no problem as the TPs are the same. Now it's just changed again to INV-LHR-JFK-DFW-LAX which is 100 TPs less than booked.

I had a look at AA schedules and the JFK-SFO-LAX and JFK-PHX-LAX flights appear to have been dropped from the schedule.

Should we just wait until we've flown via DFW and try for ORC to get the 100 TPs credited, or as AA have notified us so far in advance will it be pointless? (No pun intended!)

Thank you.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.