Original Routing Credit Beginner's Guide

Old Jan 5, 18, 6:59 pm
Ambassador, British Airways; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA GGL/CCR, GfL, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by sxc View Post

So the phone agent was telling fibs.
I have no idea what the specific conversation was about, what questions were put, and what was said. I am just explaining what the ba policy/terms are and what others have also said previously in this guide.
Old Jan 5, 18, 8:51 pm

Programs: AA,CX, BA, Priority Club, SPG, Hilton
I am in the middle of ORC claim. AA ticket, credit to BA, LHR-JFK-LAX (AA flight) became LHR-LAX (operated by BA) due to JFK-LAX cancelled. I submitted ORC claim via email, got a response within a day saying they will process my ORC claim, and another email saying my "missing miles" claim was rejected, I wrote back, emphasis I am looking for ORC claim. Got another response shortly:
"Thank you for your email regarding the original routing credit. I am sorry if the way the claim is displayed has led to a little confusion. Please be assured that the servicing team are aware of the reason for the claim and are working on this. As my colleague xxx advised, this can take up to 28 days as it is a partner airline. You may receive notification that your individual flights have been rejected. I have already started the process of getting this rectified and am working with servicing to ensure a positive resolution."

So basically 2 different agents affirmed working on my ORC claim on AA ticket. Will report back... **finger crossed**
Old Jan 6, 18, 4:37 am

Programs: BA Gold
Originally Posted by golfmad View Post
Will it? It might do. I don't think I've ever had a diversion that would have generated fewer TPs but I wouldn't be surprised if it credited as the full 140 . @janwillem it would be useful if you would report back with the details of what actually happens, thanks.

I agree though, it should be a fairly straightforward ORC claim via BAEC.
Just posted as the full 140 TP so no ORC needed for me
Old Jan 6, 18, 11:36 am
Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold. GGL/CCR.
Originally Posted by janwillem View Post
Just posted as the full 140 TP so no ORC needed for me
Thanks for confirming. I'm not surprised because I don't think the systems are clever enough to process anything other than the original planned flight routing.
Old Jan 19, 18, 2:58 pm

Question ORC on AA TKT Denied by BAEC

Looking for some advice please, I have read the thread and think I have come to a dead end, unless one of you wise people has a solution ?

I was due to fly CLT-EWR in F on 04/01 but due to storm Grayson that sector was cancelled.

AA rebooked me the same day CLT-DCA in Y and I took the train to NYC.

When the flight was credited to my account unsurprisingly I received 20 TP rather than the original 40.

I put in a claim to BAEC and got a prompt reply asking for my e-tkt and BP which I sent off along with a covering letter.

Had not heard anything so called EC today and got to speak to a gentleman in Newcastle, he was very sympathetic and called a colleague in Manchester to see if they could help. Eventually he came back to me
and said the duty manager had denied the claim and as it was AA's responsibility they were unable to help.
I asked if there was a further course of action and he suggested AA should refund me the fare difference.
Obviously this is not what I wanted to hear.

So is there something else I can do or do I just put it down to experience ?

I think I'm more surprised than anything else at BA's intransigence in this matter.
Old Jan 19, 18, 3:13 pm
Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold. GGL/CCR.
Originally Posted by chuckstar View Post
Looking for some advice please, I have read the thread and think I have come to a dead end, unless one of you wise people has a solution ?

I was due to fly CLT-EWR in F on 04/01 but due to storm Grayson that sector was cancelled.

AA rebooked me the same day CLT-DCA in Y and I took the train to NYC.

When the flight was credited to my account unsurprisingly I received 20 TP rather than the original 40.

I put in a claim to BAEC and got a prompt reply asking for my e-tkt and BP which I sent off along with a covering letter.

Had not heard anything so called EC today and got to speak to a gentleman in Newcastle, he was very sympathetic and called a colleague in Manchester to see if they could help. Eventually he came back to me
and said the duty manager had denied the claim and as it was AA's responsibility they were unable to help.
I asked if there was a further course of action and he suggested AA should refund me the fare difference.
Obviously this is not what I wanted to hear.

So is there something else I can do or do I just put it down to experience ?

I think I'm more surprised than anything else at BA's intransigence in this matter.
That's disappointing as your case would seem to fit neatly into the criteria for ORC. I would suggest you try BAEC again and persevere until you get a better outcome. On the other hand if it's just 20 TPs you may decide it's not worth the fuss.
Old Jan 20, 18, 6:04 am

It is my understanding that it is indeed down to American Airlines to authorise the claim as they have to pay British Airways for the points.

If I was you I would PM BAMissingAvios and in my experience they will get this sorted out very quickly and efficiently.
Old Jan 20, 18, 12:27 pm

Thanks for the replies, I will try that.
Old Feb 4, 18, 3:29 pm

Update...didn't work out as I wanted but thought my experience may help someone else..

Had no joy from BAMissingAvios... here's the reply

Dear Chuckstar

Thank you for your message.
I am sorry to hear your travel with American Airlines was disrupted and you were unable to board your original flight. Please accept my apologies.
When travelling with any of our Partner airlines, details of passengers and flights are held in the programmes run by that Partner airline. For security reasons, we are unable to directly access their data if there is a problem with a claim. Also, I'm afraid the decision to award Avios for Partner flights is not made by us, but instead by each Partner; it is at the Partner's discretion whether they allow for your original flights to be credited or not.
However, we are able to contact the relevant airline direct with any additional information and request a review of their decision. I can see from our records, your claim has already been escalated to American Airlines for their further investigation and advice. Unfortunately, we are unable to take any action until we receive their response.
I understand how frustrating this can be and I am sorry for any inconvenience. As soon as the responsible agent hears back from American Airlines, they will contact you by email from your designated case reference XXXXXXXX.
I am sorry I could not be more helpful on this occasion, but thank you for giving me the opportunity to look into your query.

Warm regards

D
Executive Club

I then received a reply from BAEC ...

Dear Mr Chuckstar
Thank you for requesting Avios and Tier Points for your original flight on 4 January 2018
We understand how disappointing it is when flight disruptions mean you're unable to complete the journey you originally booked.
If we re-route you from British Airways flights onto another carrier, we're happy to credit your account for your original flights.
We're always looking at deepening our relationship with our partners so we can offer you a more joined up service, but there are some areas where our policies are not the same. As you may be aware, the decision to award Avios for partner flights is not made by us, but instead by each partner.
I’m sorry to say American Airlines does not award Avios for your original flights, so we are only able to credit your account for the flights you flew.
I'm sorry I couldn't be more immediately helpful, but if there is anything else I can help with please let me know.
If you would like to contact me again about this case please click on this link:
XXX Best regards
W
British Airways Executive Club

Undeterred I emailed AA to see if they would help me out...their website was not particularly user friendly in this aspect and I have not received a written reply, instead it appears they have credited my Amex account with 60 - I'm guessing thats the fare difference.
So no ORC on a AA ticket !

Last edited by chuckstar; Feb 4, 18 at 3:30 pm Reason: Edit out link
Old Feb 4, 18, 6:53 pm
Original Poster

Programs: BA (GGL), AA (statusless), HH (Diamond);
That's surprising and unfortunate, and inconsistent with my experiences the past few years. Thanks for reporting back on this.
chuckstar likes this.
Old Feb 4, 18, 8:15 pm

Programs: AA,CX, BA, Priority Club, SPG, Hilton
Originally Posted by Fly2Where View Post
I am in the middle of ORC claim. AA ticket, credit to BA, LHR-JFK-LAX (AA flight) became LHR-LAX (operated by BA) due to JFK-LAX cancelled. I submitted ORC claim via email, got a response within a day saying they will process my ORC claim, and another email saying my "missing miles" claim was rejected, I wrote back, emphasis I am looking for ORC claim. Got another response shortly:
"Thank you for your email regarding the original routing credit. I am sorry if the way the claim is displayed has led to a little confusion. Please be assured that the servicing team are aware of the reason for the claim and are working on this. As my colleague xxx advised, this can take up to 28 days as it is a partner airline. You may receive notification that your individual flights have been rejected. I have already started the process of getting this rectified and am working with servicing to ensure a positive resolution."

So basically 2 different agents affirmed working on my ORC claim on AA ticket. Will report back... **finger crossed**
forgot to report back. I did receive ORC within 2 weeks.
Old Feb 21, 18, 6:24 am

Programs: UA 1K MM, BA Silver, HH Gold, Starwd Gold
I have had no success with getting ORC for an AA ticketed flight LHR-YYZ-JFK-LHR. The YYZ-JFK flight was cancelled and AA put me onto an AC flight, back in September.

I have been through multiple discussions and emails with BAEC and they state AA have denied the ORC. BAEC say they could try applying to AA again only if I can provide them with the AC boarding pass- which i cannot as it was electronic.

Anyone on here have any suggestions?

Thx.
Old Feb 21, 18, 8:02 am

Programs: BA GGL & CCR, GFL
Originally Posted by ExRSA View Post
I have had no success with getting ORC for an AA ticketed flight LHR-YYZ-JFK-LHR. The YYZ-JFK flight was cancelled and AA put me onto an AC flight, back in September.

I have been through multiple discussions and emails with BAEC and they state AA have denied the ORC. BAEC say they could try applying to AA again only if I can provide them with the AC boarding pass- which i cannot as it was electronic.

Thx.
You should be able to email to them if it's electronic. Or photograph the original and send that off.
Old Feb 22, 18, 12:04 am

Programs: UA 1K MM, BA Silver, HH Gold, Starwd Gold
Sadly the boarding pass is no longer on my phone.
Old Feb 22, 18, 4:42 am
Ambassador, British Airways; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA GGL/CCR, GfL, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by ExRSA View Post

Thx.
ExRSA in your conversations with BA did they ever say what reason AA have given them to deny ORC?

Search this Thread
Search Engine: