Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

Original Routing Credit (ORC) Beginner's Guide

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Original Routing Credit (ORC) Beginner's Guide

Search this Thread

Old May 15, 2022, 1:56 pm

This might not strictly be ORC, but concerns retrospectively crediting Avios/TP. A few weeks back I was rebooked onto BA by KLM when they were having a meltdown and not accepting passengers at NCL who were connecting in Schiphol. When I picked up my boarding passes at the BA counter, I asked for my BAEC number to be added to my booking - this was duly done, showed on my boarding pass, and I had all the usual amenities (fast track security, lounges etc).

However, neither TP nor Avios were credited to my account. I followed up 4 days later by email to the exec-club.socialmedia account, but I've not heard anything in a couple of weeks. Given how quick my previous credit for ORC was, I'm wondering if this has been lost somewhere in the system. I could just chase it, but I suspect that would simply increase their workload...

Am I correct in assuming I should be able to get TP/Avios for this rebooking? And what's the best option - message BAMissingAvios on here perhaps?
Old May 17, 2022, 4:13 am
Moderator, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges, and Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold; Flying Blue Life Platinum; LH Sen.; Hilton Diamond; Kemal Kebabs Prized Customer
I know it's a chore, but calling up is best, or raising a complaint and leaving it 8 weeks or so if it's not urgent. You can send a PM but that's supposed to be an escalation route.
Old May 18, 2022, 4:15 am

Thanks corporate-wage-slave, there's immediate no urgency so I'll give it a bit longer before following up with a call.
Old May 18, 2022, 7:23 am

Programs: BA Gold, IHG Diamond
As a data point I have just received a response from customer relations (after 12 weeks of waiting), and they provided 2x the Avios as good will, but advised I'd have to contact Executive Club to request the TP.
Old May 21, 2022, 3:00 am
Suspended

How does ORC work with flights cancelled near to departure, say the day before or week before? These are likely to be the hardest to find suitable replacement availability for especially on more complex sequences of flights to maintain MCT etc.

e.g. LHR-JFK-SFO in business on a Wednesday, where the JFK-SFO is cancelled the day before travel on Tuesday, and there's no availability left in business for JFK-SFO to rebook on a later flight?

If you 'ignore it' and turn up at Heathrow on the Wednesday does it then become a 'day of travel' issue and ORC applies?

Is it the case that ORC doesn't apply for changes accepted the day before travel but things done by the airport on the day you can claim for?

Thanks in advance.
Old May 21, 2022, 3:17 am

Programs: BA GGL/CCR, GfL (OWE), SA LifePlat (*G), BD Gold to the end, Hilton Diamond
I’m pretty sure the relevant date stamp will be when BA notify you of the change, ie send you the notification, not when you choose to read it.

Equally, I’d need to be pretty desperate for TPs or avios from ORC just turn up on the day and take a chance on whether they can rebook me, via which route, and in what cabin.

AA flights are notoriously difficult to secure short notice rebookings in business/first due to them upgrading their own elites so I tend to deal with any schedule changes on their flights pretty quickly if within a few weeks of travel.

Rule of thumb is that ORC applies for irrops on the day of travel, and maybe very short notice cancellations.

Last edited by gcuk; May 21, 2022 at 3:22 am
Old May 21, 2022, 3:21 am

Programs: BA GGL / GfL
Originally Posted by exeu2017
How does ORC work with flights cancelled near to departure, say the day before or week before? These are likely to be the hardest to find suitable replacement availability for especially on more complex sequences of flights to maintain MCT etc.

e.g. LHR-JFK-SFO in business on a Wednesday, where the JFK-SFO is cancelled the day before travel on Tuesday, and there's no availability left in business for JFK-SFO to rebook on a later flight?

If you 'ignore it' and turn up at Heathrow on the Wednesday does it then become a 'day of travel' issue and ORC applies?

Is it the case that ORC doesn't apply for changes accepted the day before travel but things done by the airport on the day you can claim for?

Thanks in advance.
A cancellation the day before travel would definitely be open to claiming ORC, I had that situation in January when a NYC snow storm saw BA and AA cancel all JFK flights the day before I was due to fly LHR - JFK - LAX - SFO. I requested a reroute of LHR - DFW - SFO and was able to claim ORC, so no need to stress in that instance. The week before question becomes a little more of a grey area because it may depend on the reason for the cancellation, and if there are no further flights that could be taken on the same routing (a single flight cancellation on LHR - JFK - LAX for example a week out would be hard to justify ORC given the
amount of alternative options on the same route), so unfortunately it may be a case of ORC only applies depending on the route if the cancellation is a week out!

Pilot37
Old May 24, 2022, 4:45 pm

Programs: BA Silver, Hilton HHonors Gold
Hi all, hoping for a bit of a sanity check regarding an ORC that I think I should be able to get.

Sunday May 22nd we were due to fly DCA-CLT-SBN on American, both myself and my partner are BAEC members. Four hours before departure AA cancelled our CLT-SBN flight via an app notification, and when I called to rebook they put us on United BWI-ORD-SBN as AA otherwise could not get us to SBN until Wednesday. In this situation I obviously would have earned Avios and Tier Points had I still been on American, which is what ORC should cover, right? It was rebooked within the original record locator by AA.
Old May 25, 2022, 10:23 am

Programs: BA GGL/CCR, GfL (OWE), SA LifePlat (*G), BD Gold to the end, Hilton Diamond
Yes, this is a situation that should qualify for ORC.
Old May 27, 2022, 1:37 pm

Programs: BA Silver, Hilton HHonors Gold
Originally Posted by gcuk
Yes, this is a situation that should qualify for ORC.
I would’ve thought so too, I called on Tuesday specifically saying that I was looking for an ORC, gave all the original details and the rebooked info, only to get an email that ‘UA is not a BAEC partner”, which… well… DUH. So I think the BAEC phone agent on Tuesday just didn’t understand and tried to submit a missing avois form or something, I emailed back all the details again so hopefully they get it sorted out!
Old Jul 7, 2022, 9:04 am
cwl
Accor Contributor BadgeFairmont Contributor Badge

Programs: BAEC GGL/Gold, Flying Blue Silver, All Accor Gold, Hilton Honours Diamond,
Original itinerary BA ticketed with BA flight numbers. JFK-SFO cancelled (AA76) after online checkin carried out. AA auto rebooked me on multi-stop routing which would have me arriving in SFO 6 hours late.

AA Customer Service at JFK were able to rebook me onto a direct flight with JetBlue (B6 flight number) arriving only 1hr 50 late. As it was a B6 flight number rather than a AA codeshare flight number I couldn't attach my BAEC number.

On basis this is a IRROPS (I understand AA culled the original flight due to staff shortages) do I immediately submit a ORC claim or do I have to wait a period of time before contacting BAEC?
Old Jul 18, 2022, 11:19 am

Programs: BA Gold Guest List, Concorde Room Card, Hilton Diamond
I had a LHR-MAN cancelled, so I took a refund and took the train instead.

BA are saying that they cannot offer ORC in this scenario, is this correct?
Old Jul 18, 2022, 11:30 am
Ambassador, British Airways; FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: BA GGL/CCR, GfL, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by ba_cityflyer
I had a LHR-MAN cancelled, so I took a refund and took the train instead.

BA are saying that they cannot offer ORC in this scenario, is this correct?
Yes that's correct. ORC is when you get rerouted and want to claim for the points you should have had. It doesn't work when you cancel for a refund and make your own arrangements.
Old Jul 21, 2022, 4:37 am
Suspended

I'm looking to rebook a AGP-HEL-LHR-JFK-LAX-SFO booking which has a number of cancelled sectors currently.

It's a BA 125 ticket with AY, BA and AA flights booked on the BA codeshares where available.

Does anyone have any tips on what would and wouldn't qualify for ORC, either in terms of when I rebook now, or decisions on the day?

I want to make as sure as possible that I'll get the TPs (and Avios) as booked.

E.g. should I try and keep to the original route as far as possible, i.e. if the first sector AGP-HEL is cancelled can I request AGP-MAD-SFO and be confident I'd get ORC for AGP-HEL-LHR-JFK-LAX-SFO (seems quite ballsy to me!), or should I be looking to rebook AGP-LHR and continue as before so I only have to ORC AGP-HEL-LHR?

E.g. are there complexities with codeshares, i.e. is it easier to claim ORC when booked on the Prime flight number?

Any advice greatly appreciated!
Old Jul 21, 2022, 4:50 am
Ambassador, British Airways; FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: BA GGL/CCR, GfL, HH Diamond
Any changes due to on the day issues would qualify for ORC.

Changes done days/weeks/months ahead won't qualify for ORC.
m8_rotate likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.