Feeling p1ssed at KUL

Old Jun 16, 2016, 12:01 pm
Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club, easyJet and Ryanair

Programs: BA Gold (GGL/CCR)
Originally Posted by JAXBA
Wouldn't/shouldn't the Avios and Avios equivalent (voucher) be refunded as Avios instead of a cash value? I agree that the Amex voucher has a value and should be compensated for.
I agree. The Regulation relates to 'reimbursement' for downgrade, not compensation. It would be reasonable therefore for the airline to reimburse the passenger via the same payment method. In the current example, that would be Avios.

The Amex voucher does have a value and it is not unreasonable to expect the airline to reimburse the value of the 'lost' voucher at the same rate of the primary payment.
Old Jun 16, 2016, 12:07 pm
Moderator, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges, and Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold; Flying Blue Life Platinum; LH Sen.; Hilton Diamond; Kemal Kebabs Prized Customer
Originally Posted by BAGoldBoy
Does this look correct?
I agree on the Ł380, but not the rest of your calculation, see my post 140 above for that. The way I would see is that if they give you around 95k Avios back (and you've had 31k already), rather than cash, then that would be correct. Then the question is whether the e-Voucher is about right for the 2-4-1, which is a judgement call, but I'd be OK with this since you did get some value on this even at First then CW level. The other thing you can do in this area is to ask for a space available upgrade on a future service (avoiding aircraft with 9 seats in First however!).
Old Jun 16, 2016, 12:41 pm
Original Poster
Hyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: Mucci Champion des Champions, BAG4L, *A Gold, HH DIA, Hyatt Explorist, Hertz Gold, Avis President
I was using the helpful example provided by 710 77345 but would be perfectly happy with Avios refunded.

However, I believe that the Amex voucher has some value so I still think

89,250 Avios x 2 passengers (best way to assign a Ł value to the Amex voucher) as off peak flight 119K Avios per person for one way flight

-31.5k that has already been refunded to you = 147,000 Avios

is valid.

In terms of space available upgrades they haven't worked great for me in the past. Also we already have 3 GUF2's with another 1 going into my wife's account in July so not really a great deal of use to us.
Old Jun 16, 2016, 1:18 pm

Yes, remember that the translation of Avios and Amex vouchers to cash is for the purpose of suing BA. A BA refund will almost always refund Avios in the form of Avios for obvious reasons.
BA have never been able in the past been able to offer an Amex-equivalent voucher for goodwill as far as I've seen here, but I would expect it to be replaced or the Avios equivalent. Other posters understate its value - as may BA - so this may be the sticking point that causes the dispute to be escalated.

Note the falsehoods even in the 'good' reply - BA do not always ask for volunteers in downgrade situations, and the airport should have access to your CIV score which differentiates golds from GGL. I am also extremely surprised that all 9 F passengers were gold - I have never seen this in F, but must point out I haven't been to KUL.

However, it was nice of them to make explicit that your Ł1400 e-voucher was a goodwill gesture, and that you're entitled to a 75% refund on top of this. I don't understand why it's suggested above that this should cover the Amex voucher; the two are different things.

Last edited by 710 77345; Jun 16, 2016 at 1:24 pm
Old Jun 16, 2016, 1:23 pm
Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club, easyJet and Ryanair

Programs: BA Gold (GGL/CCR)
I was using the helpful example provided by 710 77345 but would be perfectly happy with Avios refunded.

89,250 Avios x 2 passengers (best way to assign a Ł value to the Amex voucher) as off peak flight 119K Avios per person for one way flight

is valid...
Yes, that's correct.

If you do need to sue BA you could claim the Avios amount in your particulars and include the cash amount 'in the alternative'.
Old Jun 16, 2016, 1:47 pm
Original Poster
Hyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: Mucci Champion des Champions, BAG4L, *A Gold, HH DIA, Hyatt Explorist, Hertz Gold, Avis President
Apologies 710 77345 I believe I was mixing my metaphors

I will email the gent at BA tomorrow with my suggestion and see what reply I get. Good point about the CIV score - I still think they are being disingenuous with their explanations but we are getting closer to a good result.
Old Jun 16, 2016, 4:22 pm

If the op had received that email at the outset, would we all agree that Ba had done a decent job? It seems fair to me. They accept that the voucher is a freebie, and then offer 75% of the leg as a refund on top. I know that one could argue that it should be 75% of the ticket, but the offer BA eventually made, plus the apology, seems pretty decent to me. The problem, as I perceive it, is that it took so long for an adult to look at it.
Old Jun 16, 2016, 4:57 pm

For comparison, Lufthansa gives €4000 per person voucher at the gate if you are downgraded from F to J (regardless of how you paid for the ticket). I think if BA had the same approach it would have made the downgraded flight much more comfortable.
Old Jun 16, 2016, 10:44 pm

Programs: BA GGL, HHonors Diamond
Originally Posted by 8420PR
For comparison, Lufthansa gives €4000 per person voucher at the gate if you are downgraded from F to J (regardless of how you paid for the ticket). I think if BA had the same approach it would have made the downgraded flight much more comfortable.
You book the ticket with miles and then get 4000 euros? That's incredible.
Old Jun 16, 2016, 10:47 pm

Programs: DiamondClub (rip), Currently an Alliance Treble Champion (BA, A3, AZ)
Originally Posted by dptraveller
You book the ticket with miles and then get 4000 euros? That's incredible.
I remember a few years ago (5-6 probably) that Lufthansa were offering €2000 to downgrade 2 people from J to Y on a FRA-IAD flight.

I had booked with 37.5k BMI miles and about 300 quid. By the time I had comprehended the offer there was a line of about 10 people at the desk. Both my wife and I were travelling and 4,000€ was an incredible amount of money for us then! (Still not bad today!)
Old Jun 17, 2016, 1:44 am

Programs: BAEC GGL, HH Diamond.
Originally Posted by Ned1968
Interesting reply. I have some questions

1. "By overbooking we can protect the flight operating with empty seats and this ultimately helps us keep our faces as low as we can."

An airline is not a restaurant where no shows equal lost revenue. An airline no show has already paid and BA has their money. Overbooking/no shows means they can actually charge two people for the same seat. Cheeky

This Depends if they booked a flexible ticket, they may well have a full refund and not fly
Old Jun 17, 2016, 5:42 am
Moderator: British Airways Executive Club

Programs: Battleaxe Alliance
Originally Posted by stewaran
This Depends if they booked a flexible ticket, they may well have a full refund and not fly
Or they simply change very late and the airline cannot fill that seat.
Old Jun 17, 2016, 6:11 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Originally Posted by OttoMH
I remember a few years ago (5-6 probably) that Lufthansa were offering €2000 to downgrade 2 people from J to Y on a FRA-IAD flight.

I had booked with 37.5k BMI miles and about 300 quid. By the time I had comprehended the offer there was a line of about 10 people at the desk. Both my wife and I were travelling and 4,000€ was an incredible amount of money for us then! (Still not bad today!)
This is significantly less than the typical difference in fare between business class and coach. I wonder how many of the eager volunteers were business travelers hoping to keep the money after their employer paid for the business class ticket.
Old Jun 17, 2016, 6:25 am

Programs: BA LTGold; LH Senator; HHGold; Bonvoy Plat

is valid.

In terms of space available upgrades they haven't worked great for me in the past. Also we already have 3 GUF2's with another 1 going into my wife's account in July so not really a great deal of use to us.
And sacrifice the cash you mean?

The airline is under no obligation to give you cash for this - just the refund. If you get both you should feel well treated.

Last edited by ukgooner; Jun 17, 2016 at 6:37 am
Old Jun 17, 2016, 6:27 am

Programs: BA LTGold; LH Senator; HHGold; Bonvoy Plat
Originally Posted by 8420PR
Who told you that?!!!

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.