BA Exec Club / AA Upgrade - Tier Points

Old May 25, 16, 1:21 am
Original Poster

BA Exec Club / AA Upgrade - Tier Points

Hi Guys,

Just a quick question.

I'm struggling to keep my Silver Status with BA this year as most of my travel has been economy short haul as opposed to Long Haul Business previously.

I recently just went on the following Route with American Airlines using my BA Exec Club details DUB - CLT - LAS - SFO (Via. Virgin America) - CLT - LHR

Via Online Check-In I got an offer to upgrade the DUB - CLT Leg to business for me and my partner which I did, however, I've only been allocated TP's for an Economy flight? Is that correct?

Looking at the information here it suggests that if I was to take BA up on an upgrade offer on an economy flight I would get the TP's but that's not the case for an AA flight?

My Collection ends 8th July and I'm still going to be circa 200 TP's away, I'm tempted to not try to keep silver and start from scratch doing some TP runs after my year ends.

Any help / advice is appreciated.
Old May 25, 16, 2:03 am
nux
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Gold, QF WP
Originally Posted by RTG10 View Post
Looking at the information here it suggests that if I was to take BA up on an upgrade offer on an economy flight I would get the TP's but that's not the case for an AA flight?
Correct, you are only due avios/TPs for the underlying fare for AA discount paid upgrades.
Old May 25, 16, 2:29 am

Programs: BAEC Silver, HH Diamond, Avis President's Club
AA upgrades tend to be quite cheap, but you don't get any TP/Avios bonuses for them
Old May 25, 16, 2:47 am
Moderator, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges, and Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold; Flying Blue Life Platinum; LH Sen.; Hilton Diamond; Kemal Kebabs Prized Customer
Originally Posted by RTG10 View Post
Hi Guys,
Welcome to Flyertalk, welcome to the BA forum RTG10. It's good to see you here, and I would certainly encourage you to stay, the regulars here will know that "kiosk upgrades" from AA don't get any extra TPs or Avios, whereas BA's equivalent does do this. Broadly speaking unless it is a full priced upgrade, these sort of special offers for oneworld services don't help BAEC balances. If you are still in the USA or have another trip there, there are many cost effective ways of getting extra TPs, but you need to buy the relevant fare in the first instance.

Search this Thread