Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

Question re: using 2 x Amex 241 vouchers at the same time (1's mine, 1's my wife's)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Question re: using 2 x Amex 241 vouchers at the same time (1's mine, 1's my wife's)

Search this Thread

Old May 24, 2016, 2:59 pm
Original Poster

Programs: BA Gold
Question Question re: using 2 x Amex 241 vouchers at the same time (1's mine, 1's my wife's)

Could I get some advice on Amex 241 vouchers please - couldn't see this particular issue in the Avios sticky...

I have an Amex Premium Plus card, and qualify for the 241 voucher every year. However, now we're a family of four, I really need to get 2 x 241 vouchers each year in order that the four of us can travel longhaul on holiday each summer using Avios.

So.... I got Mrs 747_not_777 to apply for an Amex Premium Plus card in her name, and a partner card for me. That's now come through and we're actively using it and managing spending to trigger the 2 x 241s when we want them. And we qualified for the joining bonus/referral too, which was nice

However, the majority of the Avios tend to sit in my account. When we come to book a holiday, do I need to merge our two BAEC accounts into a family account? And if I do that, will the 2 x 241 vouchers show up when I log in as me? Or do I slowly transfer points from my account to hers so she has enough for when we want to make a booking?

Your expertise appreciated, as always!

Thanks

747_not_777

PS - we're on a 744 to DEN in August - anyone know what the chances are it will be one of the refurb'd 744's with the new AV system? Might want something to drown out my 2 1/2 and 6-month old...
Old May 24, 2016, 3:31 pm

Programs: Ex-BA/AA/CP/LY staff, BA Executive Club Blue, IHG Diamond, Marriott Silver, Chick-fil-A Red
You can form a household account to easily pool your Avios, however your vouchers would not be pooled. You'd still need to make 2 bookings, one from your account, one from hers, but the Avios will be deducted pro-rata from your pooled balance.
Old May 25, 2016, 12:22 am

Programs: BA Silver, Amex Platinum, IHG Diamond Ambassador
I've done this a few times. This would be two seperate bookings. Given the difficulty with availability in single bookings on some routes I would ring up to make the booking -the agent will find you four seats but the final arrangement is then spread over two bookings.

I've had 100% success rate with getting the telephone fee waived as this cannot be done online.
Old May 25, 2016, 1:27 am

Programs: BA Bronze, Virgin Red
Originally Posted by MrGatch
I've done this a few times. This would be two seperate bookings. Given the difficulty with availability in single bookings on some routes I would ring up to make the booking -the agent will find you four seats but the final arrangement is then spread over two bookings.

I've had 100% success rate with getting the telephone fee waived as this cannot be done online.
Can I ask how you got the "Telephone fee waived"? As I hopefully will be doing this at the end of this year.
Thanks
Old May 25, 2016, 1:50 am

Programs: BAEC Silver; Hilton Diamond;a miscellany of other hotel non-statuses
Originally Posted by User_4444
Can I ask how you got the "Telephone fee waived"? As I hopefully will be doing this at the end of this year.
Thanks
I usually say something like "Is it right that there are no fees for things that you can't do on the website?", with about 50:50 success for various scenarios. Maybe about half of them really are non-chargeable .
Old May 25, 2016, 2:21 am

Programs: BA Silver, Amex Platinum, IHG Diamond Ambassador
Just ask if there are telephone fees in the fee breakdown and if they say there are ask if they can be waived on this occasion as the booking could not be done online. Also mention that its always been waived for previous bookings.
Old May 25, 2016, 4:15 am

Programs: BA Gold, VS Gold, HH Diamond, SPG Gold
I very recently booked x4 seats LHR-JFK using x2 2-4-1 vouchers, one in my account and the other in my partners. We have a household account and I booked both flights myself online (logging in to both accounts using two browser windows).

I'd suggest a HHA if you are looking to use the 2-4-1s each year as it just makes the mile management easier. Then you get into a whole world of pain of when to trigger them....

I changed the flight times going out a few weeks later by phoning BA, and the guy on the phone actually said to me "now, you told me you couldn't book this online could you, which is why you called..". I hadn't, but I got his jist, and he said that of course, because of that, he'd waive the fee.
Old May 25, 2016, 4:51 am

Programs: BA- blue, BD,DL
But don't argue too strongly as you are supposed to pay the telephone fee.
It's only officially waived if you should be able to do it online but you can't because of a technical problem.
Old May 25, 2016, 5:45 am

Programs: GGLfL
You can absolutely make ONE booking for 4 persons, using the 2 x 241 vouchers. You will need a HHA and you will need to be set up as a nominee on your wife's EC account. The you can call up and make one single booking.
Old May 25, 2016, 7:14 am

Programs: BAEC Gold, HHonors Diamond, Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by LaydeeSarah
I changed the flight times going out a few weeks later by phoning BA, and the guy on the phone actually said to me "now, you told me you couldn't book this online could you, which is why you called..". I hadn't, but I got his jist, and he said that of course, because of that, he'd waive the fee.
I thought there was no telephone booking fee for GCH's, but there is a change fee that's still applicable?
Old May 25, 2016, 11:25 am

Programs: BA Gold, VS Gold, HH Diamond, SPG Gold
Originally Posted by Gomac
I thought there was no telephone booking fee for GCH's, but there is a change fee that's still applicable?
I have no idea. A wiser FT'er than I will know. I have been threatened with a charge a few times but have only ever paid it once, and I think that was for changes.
Old May 26, 2016, 6:44 am
Original Poster

Programs: BA Gold
Thanks everybody for the advice - really, really useful.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.