Likelihood of window seat - BA

Old May 24, 16, 9:51 am
Original Poster

Programs: BA Exec. Club Bronze
Likelihood of window seat - BA

Hello all,

I will be flying LHR-JFK in WT+ in December on the 744. I will be part of a group of 5.
It is a very small cabin, and thus there are very few window seats.
I would like one but it is quite expensive to choose early, and I won't be able to choose until 7 days before the flight.

From your experience, what is the likelihood that all the window seats in the WT+ cabin will be booked up before I have an opportunity to choose? And do you have any tips on how to get a window seat?
Many thanks
Old May 24, 16, 10:12 am

Programs: Hilton HHonors, BAEC Silver
The best way to bag a window seat would be to pay for it I'm affraid. Without knowing the exact loads and current seating it is hard to say, but a quick look at expertflyer may give an indication. In my experience with the ability choose 7 days out, you may just be ok with there being a vast array of flights to JFK. Good luck
Old May 24, 16, 10:12 am

Programs: M&M, BA Silver, Accor LeClub Gold
This is a bit of a 'how long is a piece of string' type of question. However, as a bronze card holder I believe that you can select a seat FOC 7 days before your flight, in which case I'd speculate that you'd still have a good chance of getting a window seat (Isle seats are more popular IMHO). As ever, if it is so important to you, pay for advanced seat assignment, or think to yourself what you could do with that money when you reach your destination.

Finally, as a group of 5, there would surely be a good chance that one of your traveling party would get a window seat, and would swap with you??
Old May 24, 16, 10:17 am
Original Poster

Thank you for your answer - all true points
Old May 24, 16, 10:22 am

Programs: BAEC Bronze
Personally, I would advise paying for it. The matter is important enough for you to go to the trouble of starting a thread about it here. By paying for it upfront you can relax and know it is 'in the bag' and you will enjoy peace of mind until the day of the flight, in addition to your chosen seat assignment.

And if it turns out you discover you could have waited until T-7 and saved your money? No worries, you still enjoyed peace of mind up until then. Let it go!

Hope you have a great trip whatever you decide ^
Old May 24, 16, 10:22 am
Original Poster

Thank you - yeah i had hoped that 7 days out there might be a window left. We'll see!
Old May 24, 16, 10:31 am
Original Poster

Thank you - great advice.
Old May 24, 16, 10:31 am

Programs: BA GFL, GGL, CCR, Mucci Diamond!, HH Diamond, Radisson Gold, Hertz Gold 5*
I'd recommend looking at expertflyer.com which will allow you to look at the seating plans and then you will know when the number of window seats available is reducing.. then you can decide whether to purchase or wait.

I *think* that the free subscription allows you to view the seat plans - but only for a certain number of views per month.
Old May 24, 16, 10:51 am

Programs: BA Gold GGL
Keep checking the seat map. When there is only one window seat left, purchase it. Otherwise hold on until the time you can select for free.

The LHR-JFK probably has lots of cardholders who may be able to choose seats at any time, but frequent travellers probably prefer aisle seats, not windows.

Are you travelling on a day or time when there will be more leisure travellers? These probably won't have advance seat selection.
Old May 24, 16, 11:35 am

Programs: BA
Have you specified window on your BAEC preferences?

I've always been given a window seat regardless of status so that might help.
Old May 24, 16, 11:40 am
Original Poster

Yes I have been checking and that sounds like a good plan
Old May 24, 16, 11:41 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Kungpo View Post
Have you specified window on your BAEC preferences?

I've always been given a window seat regardless of status so that might help.
Yes I have - however it says that it will only take into account your preferences if it is a fully flexible ticket which sadly mine is not.
Old May 24, 16, 11:42 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Speedbird876 View Post
Keep checking the seat map. When there is only one window seat left, purchase it. Otherwise hold on until the time you can select for free.

The LHR-JFK probably has lots of cardholders who may be able to choose seats at any time, but frequent travellers probably prefer aisle seats, not windows.

Are you travelling on a day or time when there will be more leisure travellers? These probably won't have advance seat selection.
I am travelling a week from Christmas which means yes there probably will be more leisure travellers
Old May 24, 16, 11:49 am

Programs: BAEC Bronze
A downside of waiting until there is just one window seat left is that you may be left with your least desirable window seat. For instance, you may not want the back row, or you may not want the left hand side which can have the sun glaring in.
Old May 24, 16, 11:52 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Flexible preferences View Post
A downside of waiting until there is just one window seat left is that you may be left with your least desirable window seat. For instance, you may not want the back row, or you may not want the left hand side which can have the sun glaring in.
good point - but luckily that doesnt bother me!

Search this Thread
Search Engine: