Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

BA no longer through checking baggage with separate tickets

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jul 8, 2016, 2:22 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: Prospero
UPDATED FOR 15 NOVEMBER 2016: BA will no longer accept interlining on BA-BA separate tickets / PNRs.

From 1 June 2016, the oneworld policy on accepting customers travelling on separate tickets was changed. BA, along with some other oneworld partners, has implemented this change in policy which is as follows:
Only those customers that have separate tickets issued in the same PNR/booking will be accepted for through check-in. Furthermore all sectors must be BA / oneworld / other carrier, but BA to/fron Vueling is specifically NOT allowed even on the same ticket. Aer Lingus is not specified but some be covered by "other carrier".

A PNR is a wrapper, and it can have several tickets, and other items such as hotels, in one PNR, so long as it was built that way at the time of purchase. Another (new) ticket can be inserted into an existing PNR after purchase, it is easiest to do this at a BA airport, and there is a small fee for doing this (Ł15 in the UK). However you cannot merge 2 existing PNRs into one PNR - once a reservation has reached ticketed status it can't be moved. If you have 2 PNRs you need to allow time to collect and re-check any bags at the transfer airport.

There is one exception: BA to BA transfers, on 2 PNRs, are allowed. See post 643 for details.

___
From post 947. Select "do not have IATA number"
http://www.speedbirdclub.com/ch/reservations-ticketing/rulesregulations/separatetickets/
Print Wikipost

BA no longer through checking baggage with separate tickets

Search this Thread

Old Dec 13, 2018, 4:16 am
Hilton 25+ BadgeMarriot 100+ Badge

Programs: Hyatt Glob; Hilton Dia; Marriott AMB; Accor Dia; IHG Dia Amb; GHA Tit
Which airlines other than BA do not accept to check bags to destination when the traveller has two separate tickets with the same airline?
Old Dec 13, 2018, 4:47 am
Ambassador, British Airways; FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: BA GGL/CCR, GfL, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by escape4
Which airlines other than BA do not accept to check bags to destination when the traveller has two separate tickets with the same airline?
Good question. I have done some digging and within oneworld -
  • Policy to check through bags on separate oneworld bookings - CX, JL, MH, QR, UL
  • Policy to check through bags on separate bookings for the same airline but not on separate bookings with other oneworld airlines - AY, QF
  • Policy not to check through bags on to separate same airline or separate oneworld bookings - AA, BA, IB, LATAM (JJ & LA)
  • Not sure - RJ, S7
If anyone thinks any of the above is wrong please let me know. I did some searching on FT and each airline's site so hopefully I have found up to date information.

EDIT: some information on this master thread so above now updated
Bag interlining issues and OW policy changes (Combined threads)

Last edited by KARFA; Dec 13, 2018 at 5:25 am
Old Dec 13, 2018, 4:52 am

But that's checking across Alliance members. I'm also curious which airlines won't check across separate bookings on their own flights/tickets.
Old Dec 13, 2018, 4:56 am

Originally Posted by windowontheAside
But that's checking across Alliance members. I'm also curious which airlines won't check across separate bookings on their own flights/tickets.
same answer. I was going to mark any airlines which did check across to separate bookings of it was the same airline but not if it was another oneworld - but none of them said that. It seemed it was either not at all or any separate oneworld booking with nothing in between.
Old Dec 13, 2018, 4:58 am

That's interesting. I've been told by different AAgents that their policy is to check across separate AA tickets but haven't checked a source for that.
Old Dec 13, 2018, 5:04 am

Originally Posted by windowontheAside
That's interesting. I've been told by different AAgents that their policy is to check across separate AA tickets but haven't checked a source for that.
Unless i am misreading it, this thread (and the linked AA information) seems to suggest otherwise https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/amer...es-2016-a.html

EDIT: this post on the thread also seem to confirm the same https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/30420705-post790.html

"AA will not check bags through on separate PNRs even if it is AA to AA."

I think connection protection between separate AA bookings is still honoured though.
Old Dec 13, 2018, 5:15 am

Originally Posted by KARFA
Unless i am misreading it, this thread (and the linked AA information) seems to suggest otherwise https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/amer...es-2016-a.html

EDIT: this post on the thread also seem to confirm the same https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/30420705-post790.html

"AA will not check bags through on separate PNRs even if it is AA to AA."

I think connection protection between separate AA bookings is still honoured though.
On the very odd times (I think twice only) that I've had separate reservations, AA have checked a bag through on AA to AA flights (ex-LAX and ex-CUN), but this was over 18-24 months ago, so not sure on the relevance today and if this is still offered.

Of course, two data points do not make a trend - so I would be hesitant to give an affirmative that is consistently applied
Old Dec 13, 2018, 5:19 am

Programs: BA GfL, GGL/CCR
you can use me for a source.... I did AA to AA separate PNRs a few weeks back at PHX. But there were delays involved and tight connections etc, so I may have just been lucky by an agent who felt sorry for us.... . And the bags turned up, albeit a day late!

Maybe just lucky and a one-off. Ill be trying again in a couple of weeks and will try to remember to post back if they do it again. Knowing my luck, probably no...
Old Dec 13, 2018, 5:20 am

Originally Posted by rossmacd
On the very odd times (I think twice only) that I've had separate reservations, AA have checked a bag through on AA to AA flights (ex-LAX and ex-CUN), but this was over 18-24 months ago, so not sure on the relevance today and if this is still offered.

Of course, two data points do not make a trend - so I would be hesitant to give an affirmative that is consistently applied
Yes and that's the problem with the summary. It does seem generally AA agents can be more helpful and do it, but I guess if the policy says they shouldn't you can't rely or plan for that to happen.

I guess I tried to cover this by summarising what each airline's policy is - but I appreciate that there are always instances where check-in agents go beyond the policy and do check through bags. There have even been a few recent reports of BA check-in agents checking bags through on separate tickets!
rossmacd and crazyarmadillo like this.
Old Dec 13, 2018, 5:21 am
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: LH HON, BA GGL, AF Plat, EK Plat
I never had a problem with CX, MH, JL, NH, AA.

Only airline that tried to screw me over on this was and still is BA! (and HX, but I don't really fly with them often)
Old Dec 13, 2018, 5:23 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Mucci. Nothing else matters.
Originally Posted by KARFA
I was going to mark any airlines which did check across to separate bookings of it was the same airline but not if it was another oneworld - but none of them said that. It seemed it was either not at all or any separate oneworld booking with nothing in between.
I think that QF's position is that it will through-check QF --> QF on separate tickets, but it will (mostly) not through-check QF --> OW on separate tickets: https://www.qantas.com/agencyconnect...hrough-checked appears to be the current published QF information on this.
KARFA likes this.
Old Dec 13, 2018, 5:26 am

Originally Posted by Globaliser
I think that QF's position is that it will through-check QF --> QF on separate tickets, but it will (mostly) not through-check QF --> OW on separate tickets: https://www.qantas.com/agencyconnect...hrough-checked appears to be the current published QF information on this.
Thanks, list updated.
Old Dec 13, 2018, 5:39 am

Thanks for the summary @KARFA!

So it sounds like practically speaking, other than BA it's IB and LATAM who refuse to do it? And HX according to @nufnuf77
Old Dec 13, 2018, 8:24 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by nufnuf77
I never had a problem with CX, MH, JL, NH, AA.

Only airline that tried to screw me over on this was and still is BA! (and HX, but I don't really fly with them often)
Had problem with AA, as recently as November. Agent refused to check bags through. Route is Business award DUB to ORD then separate paid first ORD to MIA, then return from MIA the same paid first to DFW, connect DFW to LHR on business award. Both connection is around 3 hrs. Not possible to check bag through on both account.
Old Dec 14, 2018, 8:22 am

Originally Posted by chongcao
Had problem with AA, as recently as November. Agent refused to check bags through. Route is Business award DUB to ORD then separate paid first ORD to MIA, then return from MIA the same paid first to DFW, connect DFW to LHR on business award. Both connection is around 3 hrs. Not possible to check bag through on both account.
Especially for someone travelling in premium classes, this is not a premium experience.

I am assuming if I read the entire 125-page thread someone has already explained, but for two flights with the same airline, why would BA or AA or others be so customer-unfriendly and make life difficult for their customers? I am assuming they have a good reason otherwise they would not do it.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.