Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

BA no longer through checking baggage with separate tickets

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jul 8, 2016, 2:22 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: Prospero
UPDATED FOR 15 NOVEMBER 2016: BA will no longer accept interlining on BA-BA separate tickets / PNRs.

From 1 June 2016, the oneworld policy on accepting customers travelling on separate tickets was changed. BA, along with some other oneworld partners, has implemented this change in policy which is as follows:
Only those customers that have separate tickets issued in the same PNR/booking will be accepted for through check-in. Furthermore all sectors must be BA / oneworld / other carrier, but BA to/fron Vueling is specifically NOT allowed even on the same ticket. Aer Lingus is not specified but some be covered by "other carrier".

A PNR is a wrapper, and it can have several tickets, and other items such as hotels, in one PNR, so long as it was built that way at the time of purchase. Another (new) ticket can be inserted into an existing PNR after purchase, it is easiest to do this at a BA airport, and there is a small fee for doing this (Ł15 in the UK). However you cannot merge 2 existing PNRs into one PNR - once a reservation has reached ticketed status it can't be moved. If you have 2 PNRs you need to allow time to collect and re-check any bags at the transfer airport.

There is one exception: BA to BA transfers, on 2 PNRs, are allowed. See post 643 for details.

___
From post 947. Select "do not have IATA number"
http://www.speedbirdclub.com/ch/reservations-ticketing/rulesregulations/separatetickets/
Print Wikipost

BA no longer through checking baggage with separate tickets

Search this Thread

Old Apr 28, 2018, 3:04 pm

Programs: BA Gold
Originally Posted by camdentown
Is this a new service?. My experience in the past has consistently been that you can't put Avios and revenue tickets on the same PNR.
Given the very limited availability of Avios on all the sectors of multi-sector flight, it would be most appreciated if BA would book tickets with Avios and paid sectors on the same booking.
Maybe it was under the 'old' system - whenever that was, but I did a CHC-SYD (cash QF ticket) SYD-SIN-LHR (cash BA ticket) and LHR-IAD (BA avios) - three PNRs and had the bags checked all the way through (took them a while, but it worked!).
Old Apr 28, 2018, 3:39 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by CKBA
Maybe it was under the 'old' system - whenever that was, but I did a CHC-SYD (cash QF ticket) SYD-SIN-LHR (cash BA ticket) and LHR-IAD (BA avios) - three PNRs and had the bags checked all the way through (took them a while, but it worked!).
But, unless I am reading your itinerary backwards, that was QF who arranged the through-checking, when you started your journey at CHC.

QF agents follow QF rules, not BA rules.
Old Apr 29, 2018, 10:51 am

Hey guys, I'm planning to redeem avios for LHR-IST and connecting to TK flight on a separate booking. Connecting time is 2 hours and without interline luggage it will be risky.

Does anyone have any experience of trying to convince the check in agent to interline luggage to TK ?
Old Apr 29, 2018, 11:17 am
gms

Programs: BA Gold / GfL, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by wley
Hey guys, I'm planning to redeem avios for LHR-IST and connecting to TK flight on a separate booking. Connecting time is 2 hours and without interline luggage it will be risky.

Does anyone have any experience of trying to convince the check in agent to interline luggage to TK ?
I would say that you have zero chance of that happening.
BA officially won't even send bags from one BA flight to another BA flight on separate tickets, so your chances of doing this for an airline that's not even in Oneworld are about as close to zero as you can get!
Old Apr 29, 2018, 11:17 am
Ambassador, British Airways; FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: BA GGL/CCR, GfL, HH Diamond

I don’t think you have any chance. TK aren’t even a BA partner or oneworld member - although even if they were either BA policy is not to check through on separate tickets.
Old Apr 29, 2018, 5:14 pm

Originally Posted by gms
I would say that you have zero chance of that happening.
BA officially won't even send bags from one BA flight to another BA flight on separate tickets, so your chances of doing this for an airline that's not even in Oneworld are about as close to zero as you can get!
Well then i guess i got to get a revenue ticket then ...
Old Apr 29, 2018, 5:49 pm

Programs: BAEC Silver
Well then i guess i got to get a revenue ticket then ...
I don't think that will help either, I was well over 2 hours retrieving my bag and checking in again connecting from BA to TK at Istanbul on a revenue J ticket a while back.
Old May 1, 2018, 9:38 am

Originally Posted by Knickam
I don't think that will help either, I was well over 2 hours retrieving my bag and checking in again connecting from BA to TK at Istanbul on a revenue J ticket a while back.
What i mean was that getting a revenue ticket to arrive earlier in IST so that I have pleanty of time to clear immigration and re-check in.

One more question, if i am getting a separate booking on TK to IST and connect to another TK international flight, will i be able to check through to my final destination at LHR ? TK might be doing it ?
Old May 1, 2018, 11:33 am

Programs: BAEC Silver
What i mean was that getting a revenue ticket to arrive earlier in IST so that I have pleanty of time to clear immigration and re-check in.

One more question, if i am getting a separate booking on TK to IST and connect to another TK international flight, will i be able to check through to my final destination at LHR ? TK might be doing it ?
Sorry, I can't help you there
Old May 1, 2018, 12:02 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Mucci. Nothing else matters.
One idea might be to ask here: https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/turk...es-smiles-641/
Old May 2, 2018, 12:14 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

If you are connecting to a domestic TK service you will have to pick up your bag anyway at first port of entry in Turkey (with a small number of exceptions).
Old May 12, 2018, 9:10 am

JNB-LHR-LGA on two separate BA PNRs (as per this post) - i.e. JNB-LHR; LHR-GLA.

BA outstation agent (Menzies is it?) at JNB proactively offered to through-check to GLA. I gladly accepted.

A few other interesting tidbits on this check-in, which I'll parse out into other threads.
Old May 12, 2018, 10:22 am

Programs: BA Blue, EI Silver, Honours Gold, Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by newyorklondon
JNB-LHR-LGA on two separate BA PNRs (as per this post) - i.e. JNB-LHR; LHR-GLA.

BA outstation agent (Menzies is it?) at JNB proactively offered to through-check to GLA. I gladly accepted.

A few other interesting tidbits on this check-in, which I'll parse out into other threads.
There have been reports that FLY picks up onward travel and the agent can then check baggage onwards, if the option is offered to the agent. If not, no dice.
newyorklondon likes this.
Old May 12, 2018, 10:58 am

Programs: BAEC Gold, Honors Diamond
No such luck at AUH last night (Club World to Club Europe), had to collect at LHR this morning and re-check for my flight to Leeds.

Just out of interest, is there an additional cost to BA in delivering to the belt and then re-checking vs just transferring the bags? Requiring two agents time springs to mind straight away (and adding to the First wing queues).
Old May 12, 2018, 11:16 am

Originally Posted by S_W_S
No such luck at AUH last night (Club World to Club Europe), had to collect at LHR this morning and re-check for my flight to Leeds.

Just out of interest, is there an additional cost to BA in delivering to the belt and then re-checking vs just transferring the bags? Requiring two agents time springs to mind straight away (and adding to the First wing queues).
Yes, but its cheaper than sorting out misconnected baggage.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.