Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

BA no longer through checking baggage with separate tickets

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jul 8, 2016, 2:22 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: Prospero
UPDATED FOR 15 NOVEMBER 2016: BA will no longer accept interlining on BA-BA separate tickets / PNRs.

From 1 June 2016, the oneworld policy on accepting customers travelling on separate tickets was changed. BA, along with some other oneworld partners, has implemented this change in policy which is as follows:
Only those customers that have separate tickets issued in the same PNR/booking will be accepted for through check-in. Furthermore all sectors must be BA / oneworld / other carrier, but BA to/fron Vueling is specifically NOT allowed even on the same ticket. Aer Lingus is not specified but some be covered by "other carrier".

A PNR is a wrapper, and it can have several tickets, and other items such as hotels, in one PNR, so long as it was built that way at the time of purchase. Another (new) ticket can be inserted into an existing PNR after purchase, it is easiest to do this at a BA airport, and there is a small fee for doing this (Ł15 in the UK). However you cannot merge 2 existing PNRs into one PNR - once a reservation has reached ticketed status it can't be moved. If you have 2 PNRs you need to allow time to collect and re-check any bags at the transfer airport.

There is one exception: BA to BA transfers, on 2 PNRs, are allowed. See post 643 for details.

___
From post 947. Select "do not have IATA number"
http://www.speedbirdclub.com/ch/reservations-ticketing/rulesregulations/separatetickets/
Print Wikipost

BA no longer through checking baggage with separate tickets

Search this Thread

Old Apr 18, 2018, 4:02 pm

Programs: OW Emerald, *A gold, Skyteam elite plus, Hilton gold, SPG gold
Originally Posted by Dave Noble
The final destination is the destination of the ticket. After that point the person is starting another journey which itself has a final destination

If wanting to book A-C via B and have benefits of booking A-C via B, then book it as a through itinerary
Maybe your have the combine fortunes of Gates, Slim, Buffett and Ortega. that money is of no importance to you
Old Apr 18, 2018, 4:06 pm

Programs: BA Gold, BA Amex Premier
Originally Posted by ianwall
I'm interested to see if this indicates a wider change...

Just to clarify, 2 separate bookings (assuming with your EC number listed), which you OLCI'd separate? Did the MEX agent ever see your LHR-GLA boarding pass or was it completely handled without any prompts?
It was two entirely separate bookings for which I had checked in online. I didn't even converse with the check-in agent, the luggage tag was simply produced after I handed over my passport. It was almost as if the system had recognised I was flying onward to Glasgow without agent intervention,

Originally Posted by golfmad
Don't get too excited. This is far more likely to be an agent who either did not understand or was not following the rules.
This was not the case - it was not an agent intervention as I had not even mentioned LHR to GLA to her. Unless there was a link between the bookings or something automated on the system, she would not have seen the LHR -GLA sector on my MEX - LHR PNR. I actually asked after the bags were tagged how they managed to be tagged through as it wasn't on the same booking and she looked surprised and said it must have been linked or on the same booking (which I know it 100% wasn't as I didn't book the Glasgow sector until a few days before).

Originally Posted by CKBA
BWI the other day.... . I had a paid BWI-LHR ticket and a seperate avois LHR-VIE ticket. First I was surprised that they queried my final destination - which I said was LHR since that is what I was checking in for (they 'corrected' me - VIE... .) and then produced a BWI-LHR-VIE luggage label.
Perhaps - then - there has been a small change in the way some bookings are handled.

As an aside - in Mexico if you are in J or F, you are greeted at the queue by an agent with an iPad who the directs you to a desk. I am almost positive that there is a connection from the ipad to the agent as I was greeted by name before handing over my passport and the luggage tag was produced as I placed a bag on the scale. I do 80-100 sectors on BA a year and this is the only airport it happens in.
Old Apr 18, 2018, 4:48 pm

Programs: BAEC - back to lowly blue. Marriott - Lifetime Platinum
I'm part of the even smaller percentage of a small percentage. I tend to spend Avios getting to London then paying money for the onward flight, and I'd happily pay a fee to get my bags interlined BA to BA.
Old Apr 18, 2018, 5:09 pm

Originally Posted by RolfD
you have a ludicrous statement. people are free to buy as many as tickets they want.
Indeed and BA are free to implement the baggage policy they want.

Maybe your have the combine fortunes of Gates, Slim, Buffett and Ortega. that money is of no importance to you
Exactly my point....on the one hand you want to use separate tickets to generate savings, whilst retaining the benefits applicable to the more expensive fare.
Old Apr 18, 2018, 5:55 pm

Originally Posted by simons1
Indeed and BA are free to implement the baggage policy they want.

Exactly my point....on the one hand you want to use separate tickets to generate savings, whilst retaining the benefits applicable to the more expensive fare.
you reading skills are not that great. In previous post I have said that BA could be proactive and charge a fee but again reading was not your best subject at school and or university
Old Apr 18, 2018, 8:07 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

you reading skills are not that great. In previous post I have said that BA could be proactive and charge a fee but again reading was not your best subject at school and or university
It could give every 10th passenger a pony, but it doesn't

When purchasing 2 tickets, there are 2 separate independant journeys; BA simply treats these 2 tickets as what they are - independant itineraries

If buying them for benefits that can exist of lower fares , then plan accordingly and allow enough time / have a stopover. If the luggage through checking is that big an issue, then don't buy separate tickets or just book on an airline which will meet your personal desires; BA is not the only airline operating
Old Apr 18, 2018, 9:52 pm

If you had read the thread properly you would see that in post 1711 I already agreed with the idea of the fee and that this could be an option.

However BA has clearly decided not to follow this approach.
Old Apr 18, 2018, 11:06 pm

All the best planning in the world and all that though, about to depart on a journey today where we had a nice 3 hour connection however both BA and QR re-timed flights which reduced that connection time so it now becomes a bit of a rush. Still doable, but delays could make it interesting. Such is the gamble you take.
Old Apr 19, 2018, 3:43 am

Programs: BA Gold, BA Amex Premier
Originally Posted by Dave Noble
It could give every 10th passenger a pony, but it doesn't

When purchasing 2 tickets, there are 2 separate independant journeys; BA simply treats these 2 tickets as what they are - independant itineraries

If buying them for benefits that can exist of lower fares , then plan accordingly and allow enough time / have a stopover. If the luggage through checking is that big an issue, then don't buy separate tickets or just book on an airline which will meet your personal desires; BA is not the only airline operating
I have booked a variety of through tickets as well as independent journeys. My bookings aren't driven by cost but my schedule which is often varied and involves last minute bookings, often back to back with existing trips where I'm returning to LHR. I think the crux of the issue for me is that the blanket rule of not interlining doesn't recognise extended customer loyalty as well as the practicalities of those who travel for business and don't fit into your 'book a through ticket every time' category, which for me is usually impossible as when I book one trip, I don't know if/ where I will be going when I return.

I recognise I might be in a small percentage of people, but for me, the BA to BA interlining was a definite benefit to being a loyal customer of one airline. It is a shame it isn't a paid option or indeed a BA benefit for Silver/ Gold members. It won't (hasn't) make me ditch BA, but it just makes the customer experience a little less palatable on the occasion that I could make use of the service.

That said, if my recent experience at MEX is reflective, changes maybe afoot.
skippythelizard and RolfD like this.
Old Apr 19, 2018, 4:02 am

Originally Posted by gilfiom
I have booked a variety of through tickets as well as independent journeys. My bookings aren't driven by cost but my schedule which is often varied and involves last minute bookings, often back to back with existing trips where I'm returning to LHR. I think the crux of the issue for me is that the blanket rule of not interlining doesn't recognise extended customer loyalty as well as the practicalities of those who travel for business and don't fit into your 'book a through ticket every time' category, which for me is usually impossible as when I book one trip, I don't know if/ where I will be going when I return.

I recognise I might be in a small percentage of people, but for me, the BA to BA interlining was a definite benefit to being a loyal customer of one airline. It is a shame it isn't a paid option or indeed a BA benefit for Silver/ Gold members. It won't (hasn't) make me ditch BA, but it just makes the customer experience a little less palatable on the occasion that I could make use of the service.

That said, if my recent experience at MEX is reflective, changes maybe afoot.
At last a balanced assessment of the issues.

You are right, there is a small percentage of customers adversely affected. This is why BA could indeed usefully add a fee type model to overcome this or perhaps to 'link' bookings for other reasons including obtaining a boarding pass, or retaining IRROPS protection (a form of insurance if you like).

I would not be so confident about Mexico, I would think more likely this was an agent who did not follow the SOP. On the other hand we have seen BA row back on various changes over the months so perhaps something is in the offing.
RolfD likes this.
Old Apr 19, 2018, 5:18 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Mucci. Nothing else matters.
maybe you should try another airline and see the difference.
I do.

That is why I know from personal experience that you were wrong when you said:-
... it is the only airline in the world to refuse to send luggage to the final destination ...
Old Apr 19, 2018, 6:24 am

Originally Posted by Globaliser
I do.

That is why I know from personal experience that you were wrong when you said:-
among the countless airlines i have flown. The only one that refuses to send luggage to point c is BA
Old Apr 19, 2018, 6:33 am
Ambassador, British Airways; FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: BA GGL/CCR, GfL, HH Diamond
among the countless airlines i have flown. The only one that refuses to send luggage to point c is BA
Have you managed to aavoid the largest airline in the world then?
Old Apr 19, 2018, 6:34 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Mucci. Nothing else matters.
... among the countless airlines i have flown.
Then maybe it is you who should fly more airlines instead of making sweeping assertions of universal generality when your experience is obviously limited.

I don't like BA's policy any more than you do, and it adversely affects numerous trips that I have to plan. But there is a world of difference between that, and becoming so obsessed - on the basis of one solitary experience - about this aspect of BA's policies and practices to the extent that you (wrongly) cast them as the only villain in the universe in relation to baggage through-checking.
Old Apr 19, 2018, 8:25 am

Interesting chat at LHR T5 F check in today, asked where I was travelling so said "Going to XYZ but connecting on another ticket, I don't think you can check through?". She said she wasn't sure and would try, did a few taps and then said unfortunately not. Not a problem! Much friendlier than some of the other grumpies that usually man the T5 F check in desk.

Was surprised she didn't flat out say no, though.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.